Moparts

Why everyone needs a turbo

Posted By: 1980volare

Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/09/18 09:09 PM

https://youtu.be/fGfkNmUl-oE
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/09/18 09:22 PM

Nice, blew the tires off, pedaled it, and still got him!
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/09/18 10:58 PM

I really like turbo's, got any engine pics and info on the combo....How tough is it to spool, and what kind of boost do you build to launch it, what are 60ft times? I want to do one of those or a procharger some day.

In bracket racing, NA is king of reaction times. My worst light this weekend was a .016 somthing...Still lost in the third round. My 60fts were almost all the same this weekend 1.37...
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/10/18 03:33 PM

50 hp worth of nitrous helps spool quite a bit.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/10/18 08:40 PM

Nice, give em hell.

I find it a bit amusing at the lack of replies since you openly street race, (makes you a bad guy) and drive a unpopular mopar body style and alot of time just got grief over some of your posts here for it but you could hand most racers here there ass on the street or track.

My street racer will only pull mid 9-s so I couldnt touch your ride and a turbo seems so much smoother then spray and although a bit of a ego hit knowing this I dont know anyone whos not silently thinking "This guy is doing good".

Since you street race and the grief you have gotten in the past, id not expect you to post all the details of your build.

I think the mods should remove the "Lost mancard" bs and replace it with "Faster Then Most" smile
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/11/18 01:15 AM

It's running strong. I love turbo power.
Posted By: topside

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/11/18 01:33 AM

That thing gets with it.

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/11/18 03:06 AM

a turbo seems so much smoother then spray

True - easier on the internal parts, and fewer of those annoying loud-noise-followed-by-fireball events.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/11/18 04:38 AM

All engine types can fail when you are trying to go like a bat outs hell. I would like to see some 10.5's under that thing!
Posted By: GY3

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/11/18 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
Nice, give em hell.

I find it a bit amusing at the lack of replies since you openly street race, (makes you a bad guy) and drive a unpopular mopar body style and alot of time just got grief over some of your posts here for it but you could hand most racers here there ass on the street or track.

My street racer will only pull mid 9-s so I couldnt touch your ride and a turbo seems so much smoother then spray and although a bit of a ego hit knowing this I dont know anyone whos not silently thinking "This guy is doing good".

Since you street race and the grief you have gotten in the past, id not expect you to post all the details of your build.

I think the mods should remove the "Lost mancard" bs and replace it with "Faster Then Most" smile

Oh no!

People get butthurt over streetracing on here?! wave

Attached picture Screenshot_20170711-160352.jpg

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/11/18 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
All engine types can fail when you are trying to go like a bat outs hell. I would like to see some 10.5's under that thing!

I’ve ran 28x10.5 stiffs on the street. I’m not a fan of how they drive, and I drive this thing a lot. They do hook way better on the street. 99% of the classes I run require a dot radial. Pulling timing on the street helps hook the radials tho.

I’m hoping to test some 26” radials and see what those are all about.
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/11/18 03:29 PM

"Turbo" or "centrifugal supercharger"?

- EM
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/11/18 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By GY3

People here get butthurt over pinion angle...
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/11/18 06:22 PM

Biggest problem I see for going turbo is every time you ask someone a question the first thing out of their mouth is "what's your goals"! I guess that sounds intelligent to them. My goal, put a ballpark turbo on it and work from there.

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/11/18 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By OUTLAWD
Originally Posted By GY3

People here get butthurt over pinion angle...

The question was infused and dripping with sarcasm. laugh2

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 03:45 PM

IME "goal" means "do you understand that twin 88mm on your 318 is rilly, like, stoopid?"
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 04:28 PM

I love to see a pic and the details of his combo, seems well thought out.

On a bit different note I posted a while back they were working on getting a cheap china kit under a grand and they have.

No one would ever expect mind blowing performance from this and really im not sure id run a fast car with it with all that could go wrong with the cheap spinners, but it would be a fun street setup to play with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-SMALL-BLOCK-TT-DODGE-RT-1000HP-Twin-Turbo-KIT-318-340-360-5-2L-5-9L-MAGNUM/273062915239?hash=item3f93d16ca7:g:GoIAAOSw8RZafhUx
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
I love to see a pic and the details of his combo, seems well thought out.

On a bit different note I posted a while back they were working on getting a cheap china kit under a grand and they have.

No one would ever expect mind blowing performance from this and really im not sure id run a fast car with it with all that could go wrong with the cheap spinners, but it would be a fun street setup to play with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-SMALL-BLOCK-TT-DODGE-RT-1000HP-Twin-Turbo-KIT-318-340-360-5-2L-5-9L-MAGNUM/273062915239?hash=item3f93d16ca7:g:GoIAAOSw8RZafhUx

Wow. That's a lot of stuff for that price.

easy link
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 04:44 PM

it sure is. what is the highest base compression that you should start with? I am at 12 to 1. that's high but a new set of slugs and this kit I am in business for cheap.

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By Kid-Dart
it sure is. what is the highest base compression that you should start with? I am at 12 to 1. that's high but a new set of slugs and this kit I am in business for cheap.

Depends, what's your goal.

laugh2 Sorry, couldn't help myself...
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 05:09 PM

Asking "what's your goal" or "what are you trying to do" is an attempt on the part of the person asking, and trying to give advice, to sound intelligent?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
Asking "what's your goal" or "what are you trying to do" is an attempt on the part of the person asking, and trying to give advice, to sound intelligent?

Some guys don’t understand this and then it usually ends up being a DOG. It all starts with a target in mind.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 05:25 PM

Go boost or go home.... Can't wait to get my T.T. Hemi done someday but big $$$$.

Attached picture 100_1455 [640x480].jpg
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 05:30 PM

tempting

link that works

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-SMALL-BLO...UM/273062915239

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By bigdad

WTH, my link works. laugh2

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 07:59 PM

I

No, just no.

Go buy some ram 1500 manifolds, install them on opposite sides and get a mug welder and make your own. You can do it yourself way easier then you think. You gmcould do it for under 750 and have something nice.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By Guitar Jones

WTH, my link works. laugh2

sorry, did see that one .. just the other one
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 08:16 PM

I would love to put a big single on my current R1 block W2 combo. It would be nice to put a taller gear in it, tame the cam down a little, but still make way more power. I am already fuel injected........but I really need to leave it alone for awhile lol.

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 09:21 PM

I think I'm the only guy on the planet who's not a hairdryer fan. Not on a race car where consistency matters anyhow.

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 10:25 PM

where consistency matters anyhow.
Unfortunately true.
In addition to all the other annoying variables (air density, ATF temperature, octane) you have to add intercooler efficiency (what's the actual output temperature?), time to spool, does spark retard kill more power than too rich (for the same degree of anti-knock defense).
When you read that "on a turbo car the tune is worth 500 hp", that's what they're talking about.
Posted By: RustyM

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/12/18 10:25 PM

I think its cool Volare- nice driving too.

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/13/18 12:04 AM

I must be a magician
Posted By: furious70

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/13/18 02:44 AM

I agree!

Attached picture 20180510_133916.jpg
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/13/18 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By FastmOp
I must be a magician

Yeah me too.

The boost controller is your friend... it's not that hard to successfully bracket race one of these and have it repeat.

But I do LOVE to hear the theory's from the keyboard jockeys about why it can't work.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/13/18 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By dizuster
I must be a magician

Yeah me too.

The boost controller is your friend... it's not that hard to successfully bracket race one of these and have it repeat.

But I do LOVE to hear the theory's from the keyboard jockeys about why it can't work.

Trust me this guy can bracket race a turbo car. I not only have seen him do it but he did it in two classes being ran back to back. The only thing that failed him was the transmission over-heated and I'm sure he addressed that issue.

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/13/18 03:07 AM

There is nothing tempting about that kit at all. I'm not sure one single significant piece out of that kit would be usable on a v8... total scam.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/13/18 04:36 AM

After reading QuickD100s posts on a boneyard 318 with turbo making 500 hp, i'm sold. Turbos and alky, and cubes. A family match made in heaven. I wonder what a stroked 318 (390?) with mildly worked large port heads and a cheap turbo would do before the stock block complained? 700 hp?

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/13/18 05:05 AM

Goals, most of you have addressed the question in an around about way. Their are hundreds of variables on each different car or engine so no amount of "goals" will get you into the ballpark. Nobody will hit it on the money the first time out unless you're extremely lucky or done it a lot. What I want to hear is, average turbo for a 340, 383, 440 and Hemi and work from there. Is that so hard. Now if someone has a program where you put in all the variables, and out pops the results, then that would be helpful. I doubt that's out there.
Now The green 4 door 62 Plymouth, I've been watching you for years and amazed at what you've done. But, how many changes, learning curves, have you went through in all that time? I imagine your "goal" was to show everyone how fast that thing could go. No numbers, no ET, just fast, the wow factor and let the numbers come as they may!
Posted By: furious70

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/13/18 05:34 AM

I spent years reading and talking to people who had done it before I built mine.
Math. Compressor maps. Being realistic about a big heavy street car, my fabrication abilities, and what I wanted to spend.
Originally used ford 2.3 manual units on my 383. Similar to a 2.5 with the Mitsubishi turbo on it. Now some stage 5 PTE's that feel more like the Garrett on 2.2, for those that played with those cars.
Totally different animal than the volare and ugly car tho smile

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/13/18 03:03 PM

theory's from the keyboard jockeys

LOL!

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/13/18 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By polyspheric

LOL!

That's me. Never had a wrench in my hand, put anything together, tuned or ran anything but my mouth.

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/13/18 09:19 PM

LOL!

https://youtu.be/aE_lrZEEc94

Yeah, turbos aren't consistent at all...

Go to 27:50 in the video.

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/14/18 01:20 AM

I'd explain, but the IQ levels displayed make that sort of... pointless.

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/14/18 01:30 AM

Agreed, pointless
Posted By: steve660

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/14/18 02:04 AM

Nevermind

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/14/18 02:58 AM

Yup, pointless is you on a mopar site thinking you are some kind of know it all.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/14/18 04:28 PM

How can you explain? - you have never done anything like it - so it is pointless then!

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/14/18 09:14 PM

Sorry, have you made an extensive tour of my property and history? I began work on cars in 1963, were you there? I don't recall.
My DD is a 520 hp twin turbo 2JZ-GTE Lexus. I started working on turbos in 1975 with a Corvair Corsa, then in 1978 with a new Riviera V6.

Remind me: when did I make any claim to "know everything"? Try limiting your insults to facts?
Please enlighten me: exactly which statements of mine are WRONG (as opposed to "things you don't understand")?

You're up.

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/14/18 10:04 PM

where consistency matters anyhow.
Unfortunately true.
In addition to all the other annoying variables (air density, ATF temperature, octane) you have to add intercooler efficiency (what's the actual output temperature?), time to spool, does spark retard kill more power than too rich (for the same degree of anti-knock defense).
When you read that "on a turbo car the tune is worth 500 hp", that's what they're talking about.

Poly you're a smart guy, but man can you come off arrogant sometimes.

First... air density changes effect all cars, not just turbos. My guess is you already know that though.

ATF temp effects all cars... not just turbos. An improperly sized trans cooler on anything is going to suffer repeatability issues.

Explain to me how octane on a turbo car effects repeatability? Any car that doesn't have enough of it N/A or Turbo, is going to detonate and have issues. It's not a "Turbo" thing.

Intercooler efficiency effects power... not consistency. Put a good sized intercooler on it, and you don't have to worry about heat soak. No different then making sure a NA car has the proper sized radiator.

Time to spool is repeatable as hell. It's a mechanical device, there is no magical external unpredictable forces in the world that make it spool fast one time, and slow another. The mass flow from the engine is predictable, and that's what makes the turbo spool. I have HUNDREDS of data logs that prove it.

My boost controller holds the boost within 0.1psi of the targeted curve throughout the run. It will go from 13psi to 20psi in about 0.3sec.

What does spark retard killing more or less power then A/F ratio have to do with bracket racing?

It's like any NA car. You get a good tune in it, and leave it alone when you're bracket racing it. Who would re-jet or move spark around in between rounds at a race?

If we're going to focus on facts...

I have 100's of passes, timeslips, and data logs from a turbo car that I actually bracket race. You're up.

Posted By: dvw

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/15/18 12:09 AM

I'd have to say that there are plenty of good bracket racers that would rather face someone else than Dizuters turbocar. For as seldom as he gets to race it, goes rounds nearly every time out.
Doug
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/15/18 02:21 AM

Time for a group hug.
You won’t find a stronger proponent for turbos than I, but .... If I were building a bracket car, it would be either N/A and light,(choice #1) or turboed and heavy (choice #2)

A turbo car that is light and at its limits will repeat easier than that same car turned way down to meet an index.

Results may vary... grin

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/15/18 05:55 PM

Stupid turbos.

I got runner up last night 😛

I treed him and out 60 foot him with my new best 1.14

He drove around me. I make 20 PSI on gas. His Procharged BBF on alcy makes 38 PSI . He got me by a car.

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/15/18 06:57 PM

Stupid turbos.

He drove around me. I make 20 PSI on gas. His Procharged BBF on alcy makes 38 PSI . He got me by a car.

Running heads up? Or couldn't run your dial? I wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/15/18 07:29 PM

Stupid turbos.

Obviously you need more boost! boogie

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/15/18 09:01 PM

Heads up.

Yep. Need another 10 pounds.

I'm having fun.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 07/16/18 02:35 PM

Sorry, have you made an extensive tour of my property and history? I began work on cars in 1963, were you there? I don't recall.
My DD is a 520 hp twin turbo 2JZ-GTE Lexus. I started working on turbos in 1975 with a Corvair Corsa, then in 1978 with a new Riviera V6.

Remind me: when did I make any claim to "know everything"? Try limiting your insults to facts?
Please enlighten me: exactly which statements of mine are WRONG (as opposed to "things you don't understand")?

You're up.

Attached picture cookie 2.jpg
Posted By: racerx

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 09/12/18 02:11 AM

bump any new news on this?
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 09/12/18 03:35 AM

I have a turbo problem. I like them so much I had to get two for the next Hemi build.

Attached picture 100_1455.jpg
Posted By: LAD 524

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 09/12/18 05:15 AM

After YEARS of reading Poly's posts both on here and elsewhere, there's no doubt he is a thinker and very knowledgable in this caper.

But seriously....his choice of words on forums are perhaps a little abrasive and can be processed as a form of arrogance.

All of us have knowledge some less than others however projecting oneself as the last word is really unnecessary.

We all want to learn as much as we can....without the aggravation.

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 09/12/18 05:20 AM

Yes, it's only helpful if you tell people what they want to hear. Anything else is just sooo hurtful.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 09/12/18 05:54 AM

I'm just an old guy set in my old school ways,not changing now!Fun street car,change pulley ,,,,add octane and let it eat!

Attached picture Order1076-8x10.jpg
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 09/12/18 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By gregsdart
After reading QuickD100s posts on a boneyard 318 with turbo making 500 hp, i'm sold. Turbos and alky, and cubes. A family match made in heaven. I wonder what a stroked 318 (390?) with mildly worked large port heads and a cheap turbo would do before the stock block complained? 700 hp?

Gregsdart there is a member on here that has a 94 Dodge Dakota with a Setup like what you are asking. He has it for sell in the race car for sell section if you wanted to read about it. I think he said it ran hi 9 in the 1/4 and drove it around every wear. Also this is not a for sell post.
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 09/12/18 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By mopar65

Gregsdart there is a member on here that has a 94 Dodge Dakota with a Setup like what you are asking. He has it for sell in the race car for sell section if you wanted to read about it. I think he said it ran hi 9 in the 1/4 and drove it around every wear. Also this is not a for sell post.

up Hi, yes, that's me...lol yeah my set up is fairly simple, stroked 5.2 (388) partial filled stock block billet caps, arp studs, 9.1 compression with mildly ported Eddy heads, shifts at 6000 runs easy 10s on pump gas, the 9.97 was with a mix of race gas, its a handful/blast to drive on the street. First turbo powered car I've ever owned and I'm sold, may not ever go back to BB, currently building a 67 Dart that will also be turbo small block. up
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 09/12/18 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By RapidusMaximus

up Hi, yes, that's me...lol yeah my set up is fairly simple, stroked 5.2 (388) partial filled stock block billet caps, arp studs, 9.1 compression with mildly ported Eddy heads, shifts at 6000 runs easy 10s on pump gas, the 9.97 was with a mix of race gas, its a handful/blast to drive on the street. First turbo powered car I've ever owned and I'm sold, may not ever go back to BB, currently building a 67 Dart that will also be turbo small block. up

You have a very nice truck. I am building a 96 SB Dakota to race with. Next year I am thinks about building a FI magnum 360 with a turbo. Going to put the truck on the street. Lol I would love to drive it on the street and click off some nine at the track
Posted By: merpar

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 09/12/18 04:54 PM

Polyspheric, Very true statement. Its funny that a simple statement will put a burr under someone's saddle. The sad thing is most of this countrys Church's fit your statement. They don't want to hear the Truth. They want the warm and fuzzy words.
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 09/12/18 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By RapidusMaximus

You have a very nice truck. I am building a 96 SB Dakota to race with. Next year I am thinks about building a FI magnum 360 with a turbo. Going to put the truck on the street. Lol I would love to drive it on the street and click off some nine at the track

Thanks, it has been an extreme learning experience switching from NA BBs to this set up, I have to admit to being influenced by a friend who is a turbo import racer...although...he's quite impressed with the little Dakota grin
Posted By: JT612GTX

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 09/13/18 05:45 AM

Show me a turbo bracket car winning rounds on a full tree, not at my local track, good for heads up, pro tree, not for me, good old carb, fuel injected and blown combinations win rounds for bracket guys!!!

Re: Why everyone needs a turbo - 09/13/18 02:20 PM

I'll be at the Stanton race at the end of the month. Good or bad...I'll be happy to come back and share the weekend logbook.

I'm not worried about the car, it's the rusty driver that is more likely going to be the issue! Lol
© 2024 Moparts Forums