Moparts

Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda

Posted By: Wolfeman78

Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/24/18 06:41 PM

Looking for a quality kit for my 70 Cuda.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/27/18 03:49 AM

S&W with the anti roll bar....

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/28/18 02:56 AM

Thank you!
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/28/18 01:57 PM

What ever you use, make sure it has plenty of adjustment, and is strong enough to handle future power. Also make sure it is installed correctly.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/28/18 07:17 PM

A kit (brackets and hardware) or a backhalf? Tube chassis? Ride height? How fast? Brackets need to be selected according to your needs and application. You need to know how the rear assembly will be configured. Some cheap street rod brackets may not have the correct geometry or configuration. Stuff we used 20 or 25 years ago is all wrong now.

To get an idea of the current thinking on correct hole locations and design, look at some of the better offerings at places like Bickel, RJ or McAmis. Housing brackets may, or may not, have provisions for shock mounts, wheelie bars, anti roll mounts, wishbone mounts, etc. Know where everything is going to be mounted. Chassis brackets can be made for specific applications like low, tube chassis cars, backhalf cars that sit a little higher, etc. The 4 link is a complete system and the relationship between the chassis and housing brackets has to be maintained. Chassis brackets have to be at the correct height, regardless the ride height of the car. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to tune one and there are no holes where you want to put the bars because the brackets are in the wrong place.

Bottom line, don't just "pick one". Talk to some people on the phone, tell them what you are doing and see what they recommend. Not just Pro Mod shops - places like S&W, ART, etc.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/28/18 07:30 PM

CA Chassis Works or Chassis Engineering
Posted By: gzig5

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 12:31 AM

I have no personal experience but the RMS Street Lynx looks viable and is something I may look into.

https://www.reillymotorsports.com/street-lynx-70-74-e-body.html
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/home-easy-4-link-rear-upgrade-mopars/
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 01:28 AM

Buy from a chassis builder that can supply you with the set up brackets. I’ve been under enough 4 link cars that werent built correctly for ride height/ bracket angle.
The relationship between the two brackets, ride height, and chassis placement is much harder to screw up if the 4 link brackets are installed using set up brackets during the build.
Set up brackets bolt into the front and rear 4 link brackets instead of the individual bars. This ensures the relationship of the front to rear brackets stay in a position that allows the bars to be placed in any hole without major adjustments when the chassis is finished. Without set up brackets, true placement in the car and on the axle is difficult to get perfect.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 01:41 AM

Not to talk you out of a 4 link but if you are looking to go 9.0's or slower there may be better options to go with. Not saying a 4 link is tricky but you can get lost very easily. If you go that route keep notes.

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 02:18 AM

Very good point. The car is running 9.90s right now and is probably capable of 9.80-9.70s with a little work. I would prefer something that is better than leafs but not really hard to setup. Thanks for all the info so far
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By Wolfeman78
Very good point. The car is running 9.90s right now and is probably capable of 9.80-9.70s with a little work. I would prefer something that is better than leafs but not really hard to setup. Thanks for all the info so far
In David Morgans chassis book there was a quote "misery loves a lot of chassis holes" talking about 4 link suspensions, not trying to talk you out of that style but like John said you can get confused real quick,, my suggestion would be look up a few chassis shops and go have a sit down and a coffee with a few of them and see what they have to say because they may become your best friend when it comes to sorting a chassis out, I have a S@W ladder bar system and run in the 9,80's with it, a friend and I put it all together and back halfed the car with info from some people that had done a few, it turned out very nice but John Holt at John Holt race cars has done my fine tuning and the car has been practically flawless since he did his majic to it,,it's good to have friends in the right places.

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 02:47 AM

Unfortunately I live in a fairly rule area of Arkansas so it is hard to find anyone to support. Thank you for the response.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By Wolfeman78
Unfortunately I live in a fairly rule area of Arkansas so it is hard to find anyone to support. Thank you for the response.
that does make it tougher to get things accomplished.

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By gzig5
I have no personal experience but the RMS Street Lynx looks viable and is something I may look into.

https://www.reillymotorsports.com/street-lynx-70-74-e-body.html
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/home-easy-4-link-rear-upgrade-mopars/

I will check into this

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 03:02 AM

The one upgrade I have done to my black Duster was to remove the old syyle ladder bar that you had to unbolt to adjust it to a double adjustable that you can quickly adjust. It’s been on around five years and I haven’t touched it since the first time I set it up in my shop. Low 9.40’s so far and no complaints. My heads up car has a caltracks set up so I will have to study up on those if and when I get it running. My Daytona had a 4 link and went 8.40’s@160 mph and I adjusted it 3-4 times over the years with different engine combos. Notes were always kept on those adjustments

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
The one upgrade I have done to my black Duster was to remove the old syyle ladder bar that you had to unbolt to adjust it to a double adjustable that you can quickly adjust. It’s been on around five years and I haven’t touched it since the first time I set it up in my shop. Low 9.40’s so far and no complaints. My heads up car has a caltracks set up so I will have to study up on those if and when I get it running. My Daytona had a 4 link and went 8.40’s@160 mph and I adjusted it 3-4 times over the years with different engine combos. Notes were always kept on those adjustments

Ladder bars may be they way to go. I am honestly just looking for something that will allow the car to hook with minimal adjustments.

Really like the looks of your duster

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 03:10 AM

Thanks
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 04:47 AM

4 links like horsepower. A 9.90 car (low 1.40 60s or so) will need to get the gear retios right to make it work. A 2.45 727 should be fine. I like 4 links. It allows you to do so much more than a ladder bar. But I don't think a ladder bar would be a handicap in your situation. The closer you get to the 8s, the more a 4 link makes sense. Spend the money on a good, pro level ladder bar system and some good coil-over shocks, support the back of the car correctly and you should be fine.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 05:54 AM

Track only?
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 10:47 AM

I love a 4-link. Simple and effective

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By TRENDZ
Track only?

Correct

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
4 links like horsepower. A 9.90 car (low 1.40 60s or so) will need to get the gear retios right to make it work. A 2.45 727 should be fine. I like 4 links. It allows you to do so much more than a ladder bar. But I don't think a ladder bar would be a handicap in your situation. The closer you get to the 8s, the more a 4 link makes sense. Spend the money on a good, pro level ladder bar system and some good coil-over shocks, support the back of the car correctly and you should be fine.

Thank you for the information.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 05:56 PM

One thing I have noticed is at the local chassis shop he does a lot of 4 link adjustments for guy's that can't figure out how to make their cars hook. Scales and computer system are used to place bars into correct holes. And that being said, just gets you in the ball park. It might be a piece of cake for some but most guy's can't find their ass with both hands setting up a 4 link.

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/29/18 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By rowin4
One thing I have noticed is at the local chassis shop he does a lot of 4 link adjustments for guy's that can't figure out how to make their cars hook. Scales and computer system are used to place bars into correct holes. And that being said, just gets you in the ball park. It might be a piece of cake for some but most guy's can't find their ass with both hands setting up a 4 link.

Good info. Thank you
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/30/18 12:31 AM

You may want to buy a good chassis book to help you understand the terms and how to set up the parts under your car properly the first time up twocents scope
I traded for a 108 inch wheelbase 1970 Cuda chrome moly tube chassis car(A arm front suspension, 4 link rear with Koni double adjustable steel coil overs on all four corners) minus motor several years back, the car had a blown B1 motor on methanol that had gone mid 7 at 184+ MPH. I didn't touch the 4 link set up at all, I did weigh the car on individual scales to get the corner weights and weight distribution with me in it.
I put one of my 505 C.I. bracket motors in it and hoped it would work luck
It did work very well boogie
It has gone 9.03 at 147.+ MPH so far with me in it weighing right at 2800 Lbs. boogie
It has a Dana 60 with 4.56 gears and a 1.81 low gear set A1 Powerglide and 14x32x15 stiff wall M/T drag slicks shruggy

Re: Reccomend A 4-Link Kit 70 Cuda - 06/30/18 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
You may want to buy a good chassis book to help you understand the terms and how to set up the parts under your car properly the first time up twocents scope
I traded for a 108 inch wheelbase 1970 Cuda chrome moly tube chassis car(A arm front suspension, 4 link rear with Koni double adjustable steel coil overs on all four corners) minus motor several years back, the car had a blown B1 motor on methanol that had gone mid 7 at 184+ MPH. I didn't touch the 4 link set up at all, I did weigh the car on individual scales to get the corner weights and weight distribution with me in it.
I put one of my 505 C.I. bracket motors in it and hoped it would work luck
It did work very well boogie
It has gone 9.03 at 147.+ MPH so far with me in it weighing right at 2800 Lbs. boogie
It has a Dana 60 with 4.56 gears and a 1.81 low gear set A1 Powerglide and 14x32x15 stiff wall M/T drag slicks shruggy

Sounds like a very nice ride! My car is around 3200 with a 500ci motor that runs right around135 at 9.90. The 60ft is hurting me a bit as the car is not hooking like it should.
© 2024 Moparts Forums