Moparts

new 440 source heads

Posted By: Moparnut426

new 440 source heads - 06/19/18 09:23 PM

So ive read the newer heads from source are a lot better than before, can anyone confirm this? just going on my mild 434 for my Bee.....

Seriously going to be a very decent lil street car I don't need anything HIGH END....

KAsey
Posted By: EWJ

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/19/18 09:35 PM

Do you mean the Super Stealths, or mean that the newer Stealths are better than the initial ones released?

I have a pair of Stealths, bought last Fall. I bought the upgraded retainers and locks- and had my machinist inspect them. Everything was good: the valve job, the guide clearances, the installed valve heights and so on. Other than needing to be COMPLETELY cleaned of aluminium shavings and the 10 degree retainer upgrade (the 7 degree ones are tin..), they appear to be very well made.

Time will tell, once I get them on my motor.
Posted By: rebel

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/19/18 10:02 PM

are they still cast from the low grade alloy that you cant weld on?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/19/18 10:05 PM

All these heads, 440source, Sidewinder, ProMaxx and others are sure a big improvement over stock cast iron to start with. Add in the the fact they come with 11/32 stainless valves, bronze guides, new springs, flow better than stock, lighter, new, and several other reasons you can’t go wrong. All of the above listed heads can flow 300 cfm and up pretty easily.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/19/18 10:30 PM

Never had any problems with to ones I got when they first came out or the ones I got this winter.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/19/18 10:53 PM

great, I have the better retainers, and locks already. Ill order up a set then.

thanks guys
Posted By: barracudabob

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/20/18 04:29 AM

Does anyone have the part numbers for the ten degree locks and retainers? Thanks in advance, Bob
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/20/18 07:36 AM

Originally Posted By barracudabob
Does anyone have the part numbers for the ten degree locks and retainers? Thanks in advance, Bob

They’re listed right on the source website.....

Regarding the op: My stealth heads are 9 years old now. Never one problem, I haven’t regretted buying them for a moment. For a budget friendly street head, you’re not going to beat the value.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/20/18 03:43 PM

The factory appearing aspect of the stealth heads is a clever idea, but is of zero importance to me.

For the extra $90....... I’d buy the better flowing E Street heads, which come with perfectly usable hardware, and flow better ootb.

The 84cc version is straight plug.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/20/18 04:34 PM

I have a set I bought in 2012, they looked good also, but also had alot of shavings in them (lots in the guides).

It is worth noting, last time I had the intake off I pulled the threads on 2 of the bolts torquing it down. I have had intakes on and off 4 or 5 times over the past few years, but that was disappointing. Could be self inflicted, I don't think I could ever find a recommended intake torque spec from 440Source.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/20/18 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
The factory appearing aspect of the stealth heads is a clever idea, but is of zero importance to me.

For the extra $90....... I’d buy the better flowing E Street heads, which come with perfectly usable hardware, and flow better ootb.

I don't like the look of unpainted aluminum heads on a Mopar with the exception of an all aluminum Hemi, and also find the factory appearing aspect of the heads overrated.

I was surprised though that 99.9% of the people who have ever looked under my hood (and that's a lot of people) never notice that my aftermarket Hemi Orange painted Indy EZ's are not stock. Only a few knowledgeable Mopar fanatics have ever noticed them.
Posted By: Iowan

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/20/18 11:34 PM

I have mine airbrushed in the peeling paint and rust patina.
Posted By: GY3

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/20/18 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By Iowan
I have mine airbrushed in the peeling paint and rust patina.

Seriously?!

I've always wanted to do a nasty looking stroker engine with dirt, rust and grime in a beater 4 door to take people's money!
Posted By: BSB67

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/21/18 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By jbc426
[quote=fast68plymouth]

I was surprised though that 99.9% of the people who have ever looked under my hood (and that's a lot of people) never notice that my aftermarket Hemi Orange painted Indy EZ's are not stock. Only a few knowledgeable Mopar fanatics have ever noticed them.

SAME!

People don't know, and they don't care.

A lot of people look under the hood of my car as well. Of course I have a factory air cleaner and manifolds, but everyone asks if it is stock (after running an 11.70) and they are surprised when I tell them its a 500 inch motor with Eddy ported aluminum heads. Amazing what a little turquoise paint will do.

Heck, probably 1/3 of the people ask if its a hemi, and it has 440 badging all over the place. shruggy
Posted By: bee1971

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/21/18 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth

X2

So far so good on the 75cc version with angled plugs

Attached picture 2192F9B4-D3B6-43F4-86F9-52620619EC57.jpeg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/21/18 02:02 PM

Noone ever realizes my hemi is all aluminum w/ a KB block until I tell them. Never liked the all aluminum look myself...prefer some orange under the hood.
I even had people at the track think my Indy headed 440 was a small block. shruggy It was actually smaller at 446" than some of the small blocks I've raced, lol.

Like everyone else said, if you paint the heads, I doubt anyone will even notice they aren't factory. Unless you go to the Mopar Nats or Carlisle, but then you'll get ripped apart for the plug wires not being date coded. laugh2

Attached picture new hemi 1.jpeg
Posted By: therocks

Re: new 440 source heads - 06/22/18 08:05 PM

Ive had my Stealths on since they first came out.Did change the springs ,locks,and retainers.The ones that came would have worked with a milder cam.I run a .588 solid and dome pistons.My machinist did clean the seats a bit only because he was a perfectionist and was impressed with them.Still going stron and no problems.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums