Moparts

Air filters

Posted By: slomoshun

Air filters - 06/19/18 12:13 AM

What is best racing air filter besides k&n and I don’t want to have to clean and re oil This will be on a 800plus hp engine. Thanks in advance
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Air filters - 06/19/18 12:33 AM

Not sure about 800hp, but the Wix racing air filters are bad ass. K&N is very over rated in my opinion.4
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Air filters - 06/19/18 02:17 AM

Lot of guys use K&N without oil. Less restrictive, just trying to keep the big stuff out. Lots of different sizes and configurations available if you have an unusual space to get it in. Wix racing are also fine.
Posted By: skrews

Re: Air filters - 06/19/18 03:37 AM

X3 for WIX race filters
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Air filters - 06/19/18 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By slomoshun
What is best racing air filter besides k&n and I don’t want to have to clean and re oil This will be on a 800plus hp engine. Thanks in advance

I threw and gave away my K&N crap and run WIX paper racing filters WAY better and less restrictive...........
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Air filters - 06/19/18 06:44 AM

The NASCAR boys use 16 x 3 air cleaners and they are making around 800 hp. Might as well use what they use. WIX makes 16 x 3, 16 x 3.5 and 16 x 4. Use the biggest one that fits.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Air filters - 06/19/18 12:00 PM

Curious as to why the wix racing filter says “ no for highway use”
Is it just a disclaimer, or do these no actually filter well enough for a street driven vechile, that would see more dirty air, then a track car?
Posted By: cl440

Re: Air filters - 06/19/18 01:52 PM

We are running a WIX racing air filter with a K&N top. Works well. It's only a 3" filter. Anything taller blocks my vision. The engine makes approximately 800 hp The car has been 8.70's @ 155 That is with a mechanical throttle stop at the pedal turned out so we are only getting about 3/4 throttle.
I dont think the filter is restricting anything. I am sure the car would be in the 8.50's at WOT

Attached picture Resized_Snapchat-2086007344_2349.jpg
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Air filters - 06/19/18 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff
Curious as to why the wix racing filter says “ no for highway use”
Is it just a disclaimer, or do these no actually filter well enough for a street driven vechile, that would see more dirty air, then a track car?

Yep, they filter big chunks, birds and other flying objects and you can see through em BUT, the 3" will flow 1000+ cfm and beyond........
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Air filters - 06/19/18 05:46 PM

I've dyno tested two different 440 motors on two different dyno testing the 14 inch K&N filter tops, both motors lost 8 HP with them on in the dyno room confused
At the track with a air cleaner that the metal top was close to the back of the hood scoop the car picked up .03 ET and .2 MPH on back to back test at LACR years ago work up
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Air filters - 06/19/18 07:09 PM

I used an 11x5 K&N velocity stack base style assembly inside the hood scoop with an isolator plate. Didn't hurt it. I think it helped it. I don't think I would run one without an air cleaner anymore and K&N makes a lot of different sizes, shapes, panel filters, etc, that you can get a filter on just about anything. If a 14 or 16 x 3 or 4 round unit will work, you have more choices.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Air filters - 06/20/18 12:57 AM

I know they make special air filters such as the oval ones for 6 pac and the multiple carb units but can a round filter be made oval without causing total loss of filtering. Lets say 16" round to 13" -14" wide oval.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Air filters - 06/20/18 12:59 AM

I use the Wix racing filter with a pre wrap .

Attached picture undersidehood.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums