Moparts

Drag car sale questions

Posted By: 340B5

Drag car sale questions - 06/13/18 07:33 PM

I would like to know what you think is the most effective way to sell a drag car is. I don't want to deal with craigslist wierdos and such.

What do you think of Racingjunk?

Also, which is a good photo-hosting site for putting an ad here?

Photoshop seems to be full of pop-up ads.....seems kinda squirrely when I get on it anymore.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/13/18 07:46 PM

You'll get weirdos and picture collectors wherever you post it.
I've had good luck selling things on craigslist, here, and on RJ. No matter what, you'll have people wanting to give you $200, 3 goats, and a bushel of butterbeans for it.

I've always just attached pics directly to the post here on moparts. Never used a hosting site.

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/13/18 08:02 PM

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I figure I'll get a lot of tire-kickers. You're quite right about the crazies and opportunists, they're everywhere.
Posted By: DblOJoe

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/13/18 08:06 PM

I'm on the other side haha, I've tried to contact a few about purchasing and never hear back from them.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/13/18 09:47 PM

Craigslist is the WalMart of advertising. RacingJunk is ok, but it seems like everyone is on Facebook. Lots of for sale pages there for any kind of item. The "DRAG RACE parts and cars for sale or trade in northeast" page has everything from clapped out $500 Mustangs to $150k Pro mods on it for sale.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/13/18 09:51 PM

8 out of every 10 items I have been selling have been on Facebook groups
Posted By: merpar

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/13/18 10:30 PM

Put a for sale sign on it at the track. I tried, craigslist, racing junk, news paper, just about everything. Sold it at the track.
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/14/18 01:56 AM

Be very careful with Racingjunk. The 1st day is the worst for online scammers wanting to buy it from you with paypal or cashiers check and then send someone to pick it up. They say they'll pay full price and no haggle. lol
You'll see the style of how they want to buy it right away but be careful. The last 4 things I tried to sell on their website, I was hit fast by the scammers.
Posted By: moetown

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/14/18 02:00 AM

I have never had a problem buying or selling anything on craigslist.
I bought my challenger and a lot of the parts for it from craigs in the last year and a half.
I like RJ, but you get a lot more contacts from around the country. And that will lead to waiting for money for payment and having to ship stuff.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/14/18 07:54 AM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
No matter what, you'll have people wanting to give you $200, 3 goats, and a bushel of butterbeans for it.

I had a lady offer me a John Deere yard tractor, a fishing boat, and her ex husband for a bike I was selling.

I respectfully declined. boogie
Posted By: BigBlockGTS

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/14/18 04:51 PM

I don't use Facebook but my wife has a page. How do you find these groups that have parts for sale?
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/14/18 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By BigBlockGTS
I don't use Facebook but my wife has a page. How do you find these groups that have parts for sale?

Do a search in the page name bar at the top left of the page. Use terms like - Mopar, drag race parts, drag race cars, performance parts, etc. Just joined "Directly Connected Mopar family" today. Wiil see if it's worthwhile. I don't have time to look at all the stuff that comes up. If a page I join doesn't suit me, I just delete it rather than have the clutter.

Don't neglect the Moparts classifieds either.
Posted By: joes68340s

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/14/18 10:50 PM

When selling a Drag car I like the, “is it sreetable” question.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/15/18 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By joes68340s

When I was selling the Arrow I had a guy who wanted to Pro Street it.....I suggested otherwise lol.

Facebook Marketplace works well as well as the drag car specific pages on Facebook. I did have interest on Racing Junk and a firm buyer but got quite a bit of spam also from RJ.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/15/18 08:11 PM

Another vote for Facebook. There are Race specific pages like, drag race results classifieds, and Mopar Specific ones as well..
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/15/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By Eric
Originally Posted By joes68340s

When I was selling the Arrow I had a guy who wanted to Pro Street it.....I suggested otherwise lol.

If someone wants to pay for it, they can do what ever they want with it.
Posted By: topside

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/16/18 01:30 AM

I get a scammer about once a month from my RJ ad. They all do the same thing; first the text, then maybe ask something stupid and not related, then the offer to pay the asking price by PayPal.
Just put a different car on a FB Marketplace site, and within an hour got an IM asking "item still for sale?" but no follow-up.
As for the streetable question, I've had that asked on the racecar. Sure, if you don't mind the cam, the 6000 stall, getting in & out past the bars, the 5.38s, the dinky brakes, the lack of wipers, signals, hi-beams, etc...but I don't think it's traveled more than a mile at a time...
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/16/18 01:48 AM

They can only get you if YOU let them and I did. Story time. I had my 1974 high 9 second Duster for sale around 30 years ago and had it advertised in NHRA National Dragster. I got a collect call from California (I live in pa) so I accepted the charges and the guy proceeds to ask me how I fit a 14-32 slick on that car. Didn’t want to buy it but he called me collect to tell him how to do it. Lol. In your dreams buddy.
Posted By: topside

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/16/18 03:19 AM

Yup, had a couple of those as well.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/16/18 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By topside

Just put a different car on a FB Marketplace site, and within an hour got an IM asking "item still for sale?" but no follow-up

Someone looked, scrolled, and hit that dang “auto response” tab.... see it all the time.

Selling a drag car.... I should try that sometime.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/16/18 03:08 PM

every time i sell a race car i post a ton of pics with it.every nook and cranny,but i always get guys that want more pics.when you ask ,of what, you either never hear from them again or they ask a quest. about something that is CLEARLY detailed in the add.ive had good luck on RJ

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/16/18 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By merpar
Put a for sale sign on it at the track. I tried, craigslist, racing junk, news paper, just about everything. Sold it at the track.

Did just that....couldn't believe it. 4 lookers and one was a buyer. He had just sold his and wanted something else. He asked my bottom dollar and I told him. Tried to get it for less and I said absolutely not. In fact I told him he might talk me up a few hundred if he wanted to.

Thanks all for the advice.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/17/18 12:16 AM

curios to no what type of car was it?
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Drag car sale questions - 06/17/18 02:13 AM

I prepare a bill of sale in advance that includes every part of the description, condition, origin, service history, etc. in the ad and require the buyer to sign my copy - prevents "you never told me" complaints. For race vehicles: "not legal for street use, cannot pass inspection".
Anyone paying full price is a scam.
Any overpayment with a refund is a different scam: "I accidentally bought the money order for $500 too much. Wait 3 days, then send me your money order for $500 and I'll be there Tuesday to pick up the car". He doesn't want the car at all - he wants the $500.
Anything but actual U.S. currency is dangerous - including certified checks and wire transfers.
If during business hours, take the buyer and his money to your bank and have the teller put it through their counterfeit-detection counting machine. I just got a bad $50 selling a bike - which the bank seized.
© 2024 Moparts Forums