Moparts

Reusing copper head gaskets

Posted By: 602heavy

Reusing copper head gaskets - 03/08/09 12:14 AM

Can the head gaskets be used again?

This is a 400 block , 4.435 bore (.095" over) , heads are O ringed (B1s), CR around 13:1 , is it a simple matter of cleaning the old silicone off & applying some around water ways? , is it necessary to anneal the gaskets?

TIA.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Reusing copper head gaskets - 03/08/09 12:25 AM

i used brake cleaner to get the silicone off and 000 steel wool or scotchbrite to scrub it.lacquer thinner final clean and reuse on same head it came from.
how much change in color in the copper?

Attached picture 5077067-Feb28^12.JPG

Re: Reusing copper head gaskets - 03/08/09 12:54 AM

No change in colour whatsoever , don't think the motor has been run , although the gaskets were torqued down.

Just a bit worried regards siliconing the gaskets , i take it a very thin bead will be ok?

Re: Reusing copper head gaskets - 03/08/09 01:03 AM

Quote:

i take it a very thin bead will be ok?

not like my over thick spread. that was a 1st time doing it.i do as thin as i can almost wiping it off thin.
edit: if no heat has been put in the gasket there is no need to worry about reusing it.just clean it.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Reusing copper head gaskets - 03/08/09 05:43 AM

before i stepped into cometics i ran copper. when we reused & cleaned the gasket up nice we would re-anneal the copper by heating it up red hot & dunking into a water trough. this made the copper sooo soft again & with the usual copper coat & silicon we were good to go again.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Reusing copper head gaskets - 03/08/09 06:10 AM

HOW do you heat-it red-hot ?

What is te best place to buy these? .... and are they the best deal around now as far as head gaskets(cost & performance) - period?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Reusing copper head gaskets - 03/08/09 06:45 AM

You heat it with a rosebud (keep it moving) they seal compression well but are known for weeping coolant & oil...Which is why the coating of Copper coat sealer... Been around since at least the fifties...

Re: Reusing copper head gaskets - 03/08/09 09:09 AM

Quote:

HOW do you heat-it red-hot ?
What is te best place to buy these?

i put mine in the oven at 300* untel thay turned blue,air cooled,scotchbrite and then lacquer thinner... there was a comment that as long as the gasket bends easy you dont need to aneal it. easy depends on the thickness i guess.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Reusing copper head gaskets - 03/08/09 09:49 AM

THX guys .... now having to put-together a couple of alum headed motors .. THESE gaskets seem to be the ticket.

I can deal with that oven-prep .. but a rose bud ? .. !!

Where do you get these, how do they work on a daily driver(and maybe even a motorhome motor) ?

Are there any shelf-sizes and stock sizes ? ... or are they made-to-order ? ... to each bore size and thickness ?

Got a list of places that have them ? ... THX
Posted By: formula S

Re: Reusing copper head gaskets - 03/08/09 10:03 AM

everything you need right here http://www.scegaskets.com/Shop/Control/fp/cat/257511/SFV/32777

Re: Reusing copper head gaskets - 03/09/09 10:14 PM

Thanks for the replies.

© 2024 Moparts Forums