Moparts

What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with?

Posted By: Sammy

What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 06:28 PM

There is no funnel small enough to fit inside the dipstick tube. What do you guys use to fill your transmission with? I know it sounds like a dumb question but the fill hole is tiny.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 07:00 PM

Those things are awful. Piece of pasteboard rolled up to make a funnel? Little nozzle from a tube of silicone cut to the right step? And about 2 hours of your time.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 07:18 PM

Mine came with a little tube that you could put on a funnel
Posted By: Clanton

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 07:41 PM

There is a long narrow funnel I use that is at [almost]any auto store

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By Bad340fish

Mine didn't come with anything. I
I'll need to see if they could send me one. It is impossible to fill this thing.

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By Clanton
There is a long narrow funnel I use that is at [almost]any auto store

Any chance you could post up a picture of yours for me to see. I got the smallest one I could find at the parts store and its still too wide.

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 08:15 PM

Thanks, I just looked it up. Mine never came with one. Guess i'll be calling them in the morning to see if they'll send me one or i'll have to buy one from Jegs or Summit.

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 08:16 PM

I have had mine for a really long time, seems other companies are not including things they used to so it might be an up charge to be able to fill your trans now lol.

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 08:18 PM

flotool 10701rb

Attached picture S1240001.JPG
Attached picture S1240002.JPG
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 09:50 PM

I have the Hughes locking dipstick and use the funnel pictured above.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 10:13 PM

mine too, works great.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 11:38 PM

This is the filler that comes with each new trans dipstick...fill rate about 1 quart per hour. down

Attached picture Filler.jpg

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By Clanton
flotool 10701rb

I have that one and its too big. Thanks for the pics. up

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
This is the filler that comes with each new trans dipstick...fill rate about 1 quart per hour. down

That's the one I didn't get. Looking at the opening for the fluid, when I get it, looks like it's going to be a long afternoon. What were they thinking?

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/10/18 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By hemi-itis

I have the Lokar, it's totally different. Opening is tiny

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/11/18 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By Sammy
Originally Posted By hemi-itis

I have the Lokar, it's totally different. Opening is tiny
Mine goes in about 1" so I don't know what is new with yours.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/11/18 02:20 AM

I used a horrible freight funnel for my shorty Lokar dipstick. They are little plastic funnels and come in a set of 4 for $1.
My dipstick did come with the fill tube.
Posted By: BobR

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/11/18 04:01 AM

That's the one I didn't get. Looking at the opening for the fluid, when I get it, looks like it's going to be a long afternoon. What were they thinking?

It's not that bad. I used 30w or 40w compressor oil and it takes about 10 minutes to fill the trans.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/11/18 05:57 AM

Kind of over reacting there. I have one and it is a little slow to fill but I'll guess maybe 2 minutes per quart.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/11/18 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By max_maniac

Kind of over reacting there. I have one and it is a little slow to fill but I'll guess maybe 2 minutes per quart.
iagree MAYBE 2 min.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/11/18 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By bonefish
Originally Posted By max_maniac

iagree MAYBE 2 min.

iagree It's not that bad.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/11/18 07:28 PM

Enlighten an old f a r t. Why does anyone use these, instead of the stock tube? I use a locking cap, after verifying the level. The oem indicator hangs on my trailer wall, if I need to check.

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/11/18 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By BobR

It's not that bad. I used 30w or 40w compressor oil and it takes about 10 minutes to fill the trans.

You need to recalibrate your sarcasm detector.

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/11/18 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By Leigh
Enlighten an old f a r t. Why does anyone use these, instead of the stock tube? I use a locking cap, after verifying the level. The oem indicator hangs on my trailer wall, if I need to check.

When I had BB wedge motors in my cuda, the stock trans tube wouldn't clear the headers. Been using a Lokar ever since.
Posted By: theraif

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/11/18 09:55 PM

why not these from the dollar store shruggy fill and squirt

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/11/18 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By theraif

too easy to accidentally fill your trans with Ketchup.

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/11/18 11:13 PM

I had to fill a transmission with one of those and try to check the fluid while I was doing it, once. Said so many bad words, I never fooled with one again.

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/12/18 12:09 AM

Another thing folks don't take into account when choosing the Lokar setup is the small inside diameter of the tube makes it real hard to gauge the level, especially with fresh fluid i.e. the close proximity to the tube wall doesn't leave a clearly defined level mark on the light-colored plastic stick because of the "smear" from the inside of the tube when withdrawing the stick. Very frustrating. rant

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/12/18 12:47 AM

Great idea.
Well I'm going in the shop now and doing it that way. See you all tomorrow. I'll let you know how long it takes. lol

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/12/18 05:53 PM

Update, 1 hour in with these bottles and 3 quarts in .lol
Posted By: cudatom

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/12/18 07:48 PM

I also used one in my Cuda for the same reason. Had no issues filling the trans or readying the fluid level.

The only reason I switched (after 10 yrs) was I got tired of burning my knuckles. Switched to a locking on from Mancini. Wks great.

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/12/18 11:08 PM

3 hours to fill. All done.

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/13/18 03:05 AM

eek

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/13/18 06:10 PM

I hope you're not being serious?

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/13/18 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda

I hope you're not being serious?

Very serious, slow as molasses
Glad I'm retired

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/13/18 11:57 PM

Some methods of filling via a small tube will trap air and the liquid flows slowly because of the air trap, a vented funnel helps..
Posted By: rickraw

Re: What to use to fill Lokar Transmission Dipstick tube with? - 06/13/18 11:59 PM

Shouldn't matter, the trans is vented. I warm the fluid, helps flow a little better.
© 2024 Moparts Forums