Moparts

Timing issue or ?????? Update ..... found problem

Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Timing issue or ?????? Update ..... found problem - 05/31/18 02:59 AM

Just had a set of -1s porter along with the intake, now I’m only running 30degs of timing but the car wants to stall, before it was back firing through the intake and now it’s popping through the exhaust.. not much but I can hear it. Any ideas .. my Brian is fried from working on it no stop for 3 days and have had now but problems.. thanks guys
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 05/31/18 03:02 AM

Recheck the firing order.

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 05/31/18 03:07 AM

Did that. This is a crank trigger ignition .. gap was checked lined up with the mag in the wheel.checked timing it was a 26 dregs ... I’m at a lose . I have had the dizzy in and out 20 times. Fazed the cap for number one . I’m just at that point.. seems nothing I do helps
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 05/31/18 03:15 AM

Put it at 34 degrees. Sure sounds like firing order if you've checked all of the above and it's coil farting through the intake or exhaust...
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 05/31/18 03:17 AM

Nothing to add on what these guys have said but Im interested to hear the problem.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 05/31/18 03:24 AM

What ignition are you using? Any retard programs in use? Ign boxes don't last forever,,,don't ask how I know,,,,,,,
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 05/31/18 03:29 AM

Check your plugs. Check your lash.
You have raw fuel in the exhaust. Plugs should show you where it’s coming from.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 05/31/18 04:11 AM

When you started this whole job what were you
doing on the car
wave
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 05/31/18 05:12 AM

I'm assume your changing the timing at the trigger and not at dist. ?
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 05/31/18 05:51 AM

Check the cap and rotor, What cubic inch and compression?

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 05/31/18 10:51 AM

All I was doing where the port work to head and intake. I did replace the front seal. This is a 500” 11.1 motor with -1s ...
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 05/31/18 11:29 AM

Sounds to me like sticking needle and seat in the carb

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 06/02/18 04:16 AM

Well I went though everything that I can with it , my next step is to replace the box . I have no idea what’s going on. It pops through the headers but then sometimes through the intake . Like that timing is out of wack . But I check double check and triple checked . Even pulled the wire for the tack nothing .. I’m about to give up...😡
Posted By: urdustd

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 06/02/18 05:09 AM

How old is your fuel?
Posted By: Dduster

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 06/02/18 05:25 AM

Is this the 1st time using the crank trigger? If yes,... Did You lock out the spring advance feature of the distributor?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 06/02/18 06:02 AM

There are only a few things that can make your motor do what it is doing, blown head gaskets is one, bad distributor cap is another, bad spark plug wires, vacuum leak is another and so on.
I would start with the basics first, compression test, infra red temp gun on the headers after driving it, look very closely inside the distributor cap and so on, one thing at a time scope
Please let us know what you find out up

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 06/02/18 02:11 PM

Fuel is about a year old, head gaskets are new, I was going to change the msd out but I was thinking fuel too. Maybe I’ll try that first since it’s Easy.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 06/02/18 03:10 PM

I run year old fuel at the start of every season, no issues. Car made it's best pass ever. -1 timing anywhere from 26-34 never a misfire. Like stated, cap, wires, dist timing locked, header leak.
Doug
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 06/02/18 03:24 PM

How did you phase the distributor? I like to drill a 3/8" hole in line with #1 in an old distributor cap and put a timing light on it to check rotor/plug wire alignment. Do you have a 4/7 swap cam and forgot about it when you reran the plug wires? Did you verify TDC timing marks before you started all of this?
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 06/02/18 05:35 PM

Check to make sure the little carbon button is inside your distributor cap...It's easy to miss. DAMHIK.

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 06/03/18 11:04 AM

Same way I have an old cap I deillrdd a hole in and use a time light to do the phasing

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 06/03/18 09:26 PM

Well update you guys the crank trigher was bad. I hooked it straight to my msd dizzy and all was fixed ... this was shifting at 5 grand

https://youtu.be/Et_ojQAym7o

This https://youtu.be/w-dkZZ1NCV0

was 4000 rpm..
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Timing issue or ?????? - 06/03/18 09:32 PM

Glad you found it! Sounds good!
© 2024 Moparts Forums