Moparts

Race Car interior paint

Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Race Car interior paint - 03/07/09 01:32 AM

OK
Lets see some pictures.
If this was a sheet panel aluminum car I wouldn't worry about painting but..
Just wondering what paint you guys have used for stock style floor boards. I really don't want to carpet it yet, so its pretty much going to be bare metal. I need something that holds up well, and some what easy to clean..Just looking around the local hardware store a few days ago, and seen this kind
http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=44

If nothing else I might just use some med-heavy Grey or black...probably a semi gloss
Posted By: topside

Re: Race Car interior paint - 03/07/09 03:50 PM

On mine I used an OEM carpet without the jute backing, but I've seen exterior paint & spatter-paint (like GM trunks). They both held up pretty well on TransAm racers if a thin aluminum sheet (textured or with non-slip tape applied) is used (usually screwed or riveted to the floor) in the footwell. I like the layer of carpet in my drag car because it helps reduce the reverberating racket inside the car.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Race Car interior paint - 03/07/09 04:31 PM

I think you'd be way happier with some carpet in it.
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: Race Car interior paint - 03/07/09 04:55 PM

My carpet was getting ratty from constantly pulling it up to deal with wiring and it always got dirty. I tore it out and sprayed in wrinkle black. It worked well because the wrikles hide flaws in the floor and the paint.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Race Car interior paint - 03/07/09 05:22 PM

I`ve been doing upholstery off and on since the 80`s and I use speaker material w/no padding to keep the weight down........looks great and helps eliminate the rattling associated with metal interiors.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Race Car interior paint - 03/08/09 05:31 AM

my cars carpet was just torn out and i just redid it in oem style. for $115.00 it came out perfect. theres nothing like new carpet. forget the paint thing. you wont be happy. heres my new carpet in my 65 dodge.

Attached picture 5077778-HEMIREUNION69HEMIRR65DODGECORONET1263.JPG
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Race Car interior paint - 03/08/09 06:04 AM

Quote:

my cars carpet was just torn out and i just redid it in oem style. for $115.00 it came out perfect. theres nothing like new carpet. forget the paint thing. you wont be happy. heres my new carpet in my 65 dodge.

Does your car have a back seat Chris? I wished I could buy molded carpet for my car, but being back halved, Im not sure if the carpet would continue far enough, or just stop short.

I have decided to go carpet though..
Posted By: PLUM BAD

Re: Race Car interior paint - 03/08/09 03:26 PM

I used factory style molded carpet and speaker felt material. The material is very easy to work with and light weight.

© 2024 Moparts Forums