Moparts

Race car battery

Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Race car battery - 04/16/18 11:01 PM

It looks like my 9 year old Optima yellow top is finally going downhill. Just checked Summit and Jegs and prices seemed to have gone up $50.00 on them since December. Was told new ones are now made in Mexico and are not as good as they once were.
Anyone having luck with another brand that is less expensive? How about some of the new lightweight ones. How about Interstate deep cycle?
I do not charge between rounds but do run a Powermaster alternator. Run water pump and 2 fans between rounds.
Thanks Mike
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Race car battery - 04/17/18 12:30 AM

If you don't do a "race" battery then get a diesel truck application from Interstate
Over the decades I have found Interstates to be the highest quality best lasting units available and reasonable
No other product is as "you get what you pay for" as a battery

race battery--light and stout XS line is great--widely available and great product but what I would use in a dragster for weight--in a bracket car who cares and a diesel truck Interstate is the daddy!
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Race car battery - 04/17/18 01:28 AM

Do you have Costco where you live? If so, they sell Interstate batteries at a pretty good price.
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: Race car battery - 04/17/18 05:57 AM

Yes have a Costco . My wife goes there occasionally.
Thanks Mike
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Race car battery - 04/17/18 06:53 AM

Originally Posted By 70satelliteguy
Yes have a Costco . My wife goes there occasionally.
Thanks Mike

You should tag along next time. Mobil 1 oil is usually pretty cheap at Costco. Shop rags are a good buy there. And you can pick up a 5 lb jar of M&Ms that you can hide out in the garage to snack on.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Race car battery - 04/17/18 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By 70satelliteguy
It looks like my 9 year old Optima yellow top is finally going downhill. Just checked Summit and Jegs and prices seemed to have gone up $50.00 on them since December. Was told new ones are now made in Mexico and are not as good as they once were.
Anyone having luck with another brand that is less expensive? How about some of the new lightweight ones. How about Interstate deep cycle?
I do not charge between rounds but do run a Powermaster alternator. Run water pump and 2 fans between rounds.
Thanks Mike

If you have an alternator and its putting out more than 12 volts, then everything is running off that, battery is just for starting, so get whatever it takes to start car and run fans etc (about 700 cca) between rounds.
© 2024 Moparts Forums