Moparts

Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts

Posted By: bigdad

Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 04:15 AM

Do you think a standard one out a 1994 Dodge 318 1500 pickup is any different than the Mopar ones in Jegs or Summit, or ?
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 04:38 AM

Idk about any difference, but I know quite a few people that have run a Ram/Dakota starter successfully for quite some time. I have always used Mancini's starters.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 04:49 AM

I used to buy the stock mini starters at the junkyard and take them to my local starter and alternator rebuild shop for a freshen job. Now I go online to a Advance auto and buy a start for a 1995 Dodge Ram truck. Get the 25-30% off then go to the store 5 minutes later to pick it up. Then I get a coupon in my email a couple weeks later for 5-10.00 on my next purchase
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 04:57 AM

I've been buying db electrical starters and alternators on ebay, everyone has worked great.

I'd guess the ones summit/jegs sell are new and advance and so on are remans.

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 01:33 PM

They(Mancini) rate them via how much compression your motor is ..

price seems to have jumped a lot since last time I bought one

http://www.manciniracing.com/starters.html

Think I will just try one from NAPA

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 02:16 PM

One of our members has posted in the past about mopar starters as he sells them. He posted up some good info that could probably be found with a search

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 02:41 PM

My new headers are TTI

This is what they say but, can't get these numbers to cross reference except that powermaster one and its $310

• Chrysler part no's: R53005984, 56027702AC
• Mopar Performance part no's: P5249644AB, P5007860, P4286522
• PowerMaster Performance XS torque starter no: 9523
(!) 440 applications with an 11" flywheel 143-tooth ring gear: Must use a RobbMc Performance starter #3005.
Posted By: birdtracker

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 03:02 PM

all the starters are the same. There is a set of $3 contacts inside that flatten out over time. I have used the same starter for over 15 years on 2 different engines. First one was 12-5-1 and the last one was 14.75-1. It will go right back on my new engine. I buy the exact starter you have listed V-8 1500 for other peoples projects with no problems. Birdtracker
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 03:35 PM

I read somewhere that Denso no longer makes that starter new, so everything you buy now is a reman and core charge is higher, hence the jump in price.
Posted By: 590 Challenger

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 05:21 PM

I have 5 new mini starters left, $79 shipped to your door

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By 590 Challenger

PM sent
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By bigdad

Personally I'd steer clear of napa starters...went thru 3 of them on my wifes Ford car over 2 yrs...They are good when they work, but when you get to 4th or 5th round and the starter takes a crap, you'll wish you hadn't. I know 1st hand, unhappy wife, got a nice B&M starter on there now going on 3 yrs strong.

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By DusterKid

Personally I'd steer clear of napa starters...went thru 3 of them on my wifes Ford car over 2 yrs...They are good when they work, but when you get to 4th or 5th round and the starter takes a crap, you'll wish you hadn't. I know 1st hand, unhappy wife, got a nice B&M starter on there now going on 3 yrs strong.

Everyone else that posted did not say that ?

I doubt I'll make it to the 5th round anyway (lol)

not sure what a B&M starter is , may not fit with my TTI headers ?

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 06:00 PM

I use mt own starters I sell on my hot rod and throw 24V at it to spin it fast enough to fire the mag, haven't blown one up yet
Posted By: Eric

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 07:13 PM

Can you adjust the clock position on yours?

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By Eric

Can you adjust the clock position on yours?

NO, you would have to contact IMI for that, they own the patent for those, they are pricey. I do sell tons of starters to race starter shops that slap their own label on them and resale to place's like Jeg's, Summit......
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 07:18 PM

This is the Nippondenso starter that was sold by MP and I used for years with good results. There are remans, new, and Chinese copies available most places. Price and origin are a big indicator of quality.

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 08:29 PM

Confused about the new and Chinesse and origin comment, there are over 250 starter shop in China that make that starter, I deal with about 15 of them, no one outside of China makes it that I know of (definitely no US sources) Japan is the only other place that they come from (the OE) but I would bet money that at the low price Denso doesn’t even make them anymore, and would buy sub assemblies out of China and assemble and put a Japan sticker on them. And no, not all China factories are the same, But truthfully on price, it determines more on how far you are down the line getting it, In China they are all with in about $2 of each other......everything else is just mark up, so if one is twice as much as another, someone just made more along the way
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 09:09 PM

Confused about the new and Chinesse and origin comment, there are over 250 starter shop in China that make that starter, I deal with about 15 of them, no one outside of China makes it that I know of (definitely no US sources) Japan is the only other place that they come from (the OE) but I would bet money that at the low price Denso doesn’t even make them anymore, and would buy sub assemblies out of China and assemble and put a Japan sticker on them. And no, not all China factories are the same, But truthfully on price, it determines more on how far you are down the line getting it, In China they are all with in about $2 of each other......everything else is just mark up, so if one is twice as much as another, someone just made more along the way

Good to get info from someone who knows what they are talking about... so much bad info gets spread by people who assume things. Not meaning anyone in this thread, just in general.

There are so many rebranded/labeled parts out there and prices are all over. So many people will pay more thinking that means your getting a better part when they could get the same thing for way less.

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 09:28 PM

It funny you say that, I sell things on eBay under a few names, priced Low, Medium and Higher. People do think that, Some people shop price, kool. Some don’t want the Cheapest thing and buy the more expensive one, very kool. Some think they are buying the best and buy the highest priced one, I love them. Why would I market it just to one group? If people feel good about spending more, well let’s just say I’m willing to keep them happy. I sell them all the same starters

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 09:31 PM

I grabbed a new one from him. When I build a new combo I always fit 2 starters while its on the stand as most of mine need modified and I want a spare at the track ready to go.

Untitled by John Cadamore, on Flickr

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 10:13 PM

But to clarify on the rebuilt question, Almost all the major nationwide Auto part stores Buy from a huge rebuilder in Mexico called BBB, they sell under about a dozen differ names, Rayloc, Genco and a bunch of other names, it’s all the exact same stuff from the same huge factory.

And thanks to the guys that bought one from me today

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/12/18 10:15 PM

This particular Nippondenso brand OE new starter is still available from Mopar. $135, not bad. It may be all or partially made in China. Any of the new non-OE brand units (starters, alternators, etc.) I've seen in auto part stores are made in China. I see reman stuff from Mexico, USA and China, with the Chinese being the cheapest and the junkiest, usually.

Yes, often time the price doesn't mean it's better, maybe just that one is lifetime warrantied while the cheaper is just a year. But if you compare the reman stuff from different sources, it's not all the same. Yes, I understand it is about impossible to get any of this stuff that is not at least partially made in China.

I have no idea where the MP P5007860AB is made. I'm not sure that it matters what the sticker or the box says anymore either.
Posted By: topside

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/13/18 12:18 AM

Similar thing seems to be going on with torque converters; in shopping for one for a street/strip project, lots of guys are claiming to build them for other guys (some of which are "name brands"), and a couple of places build them by the hundreds or thousands to hear them tell it. Looking on Ebay I see 3 or 4 basic designs marketed under a bunch of apparently-different names.
As far as stuff like alternators, starters, brake calipers and one particular throw-out bearing, I've had better luck with Duralast (AutoZone) than Napa.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/13/18 07:10 AM

I replaced my Power Master mini-starter last year with a $70 dollar unit from Salvo's that has a lifetime warranty and has been working just as good as the Power master starter did. Ron

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/13/18 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister

This is the Nippondenso starter that was sold by MP and I used for years with good results. There are remans, new, and Chinese copies available most places. Price and origin are a big indicator of quality.

On this picture, where the gold , long bolt holds it together..the little casting that sticks out on the end opposed to the starter gear hit the header

messed around with it for a couple hours to clearance a tube to make it fit, what a PITA !

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/13/18 02:08 PM

Also had to remove the black part, that hit the block

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/13/18 07:57 PM

No header issues on mine, but I don't know how thick the casting is there. I may have taken it apart to see if the starter could be modified before dinging the header. Yes, the plastic adapter needs to be removed on some apps.

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/13/18 08:03 PM

not enough casting , small ding ..thumb nail size , 1/4 deep
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/13/18 08:36 PM

I’ve got like 3 of those starters I’ve procured from work from “just clicks, won’t start” scenarios. Bought a bag of contacts off the bay and they all work great. Starter on my 13.5-1 small block is a takeoff from my 95 Ram I owned long ago.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/13/18 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister

On this picture, where the gold , long bolt holds it together..the little casting that sticks out on the end opposed to the starter gear hit the header

messed around with it for a couple hours to clearance a tube to make it fit, what a PITA !

iagree

I did the same on my street car, 469/5 speed Roadrunner

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/14/18 03:10 AM

TTI says it clears .. TTI lies
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/14/18 03:44 AM

It funny you say that, I sell things on eBay under a few names, priced Low, Medium and Higher. People do think that, Some people shop price, kool. Some don’t want the Cheapest thing and buy the more expensive one, very kool. Some think they are buying the best and buy the highest priced one, I love them. Why would I market it just to one group? If people feel good about spending more, well let’s just say I’m willing to keep them happy. I sell them all the same starters

Are your ads worded the same other than price? Or are you actually selling deceit?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/14/18 07:02 AM

I "believe" there are a couple of the nippendenso starters. IIRC the lower amperage one has a smaller body on it. 6"from the end of the motor to the plain of the mounting to trans surface.

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/14/18 03:47 PM

I bought what they said, #9523 powermaster , its clockable , didn't clear
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/14/18 04:01 PM

Just had my powermaster starter up to advanced auto for testing. Told me it looked just like one of their boxed replacement starters they sell.
Posted By: moparjohn

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/14/18 07:18 PM

I'm just wondering if anyone has bought one of these mini starters that weighs less than 8 LBS? Several have been advertised as 7 LBS over the years but were never close to that!
MJ

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/14/18 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By J_BODY

I "believe" there are a couple of the nippendenso starters. IIRC the lower amperage one has a smaller body on it. 6"from the end of the motor to the plain of the mounting to trans surface.

There are 3 styles, 17084 (older larger style), 17466 the normal smaller one, 17573 exact same as the 17466 without the black terminal post extension. All are rated 1.4KW for power
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/15/18 02:35 AM

What about where I thought I saw a 3.75:1 and a 4.44:1 reduction listing?
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/15/18 04:32 AM

I buy one brand of starter

Wilson. I get them at NAPA. They aren’t NAPA branded. As I recall they were rebuilt in Canada. Have to ask for them specifically.
As a forklift Tech I went through a lot of starters. Forklifts are started 20 times a day or more.
We would buy a new “oem” starter and spend four hours changing it only to have it fail next week. One of my coworkers left our parts dept for NAPA. He suggested a Wilson one time and I’ve never got a bad one.

All of my IDI diesels have had one. 400 cranking psi
The coronet has one as well- I went with the ram truck starter.

http://wilsonautoelectric.com/Aboutus
Posted By: ross

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/15/18 02:40 PM

Wanted to try a small starter on my 68 Runner with tti headers. I had a 89 dodge 6 cyl pickup out back so I robbed the starter. Fit fine after throwing the plastic part away. Been on there trouble free for years.

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/15/18 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By NTOLERANCE
I buy one brand of starter

Wilson. I get them at NAPA. They aren’t NAPA branded. As I recall they were rebuilt in Canada. Have to ask for them specifically.
As a forklift Tech I went through a lot of starters. Forklifts are started 20 times a day or more.
We would buy a new “oem” starter and spend four hours changing it only to have it fail next week. One of my coworkers left our parts dept for NAPA. He suggested a Wilson one time and I’ve never got a bad one.

All of my IDI diesels have had one. 400 cranking psi
The coronet has one as well- I went with the ram truck starter.

http://wilsonautoelectric.com/Aboutus

Truthfully all the Denso style starters for these are good. Wilson is no longer made in Canada, they sold out I would guess 8-10 years ago. It is also owned by BBB and all their rebuiding is done in Mexico, on he exact same line as the other brands they sell under. It just gets relabeled

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/17/18 12:00 AM

Thanks Jeff (590 Challenger) my new starter came today.

Posted By: Leigh

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/17/18 01:58 AM

I’ve got like 3 of those starters I’ve procured from work from “just clicks, won’t start” scenarios. Bought a bag of contacts off the bay and they all work great. Starter on my 13.5-1 small block is a takeoff from my 95 Ram I owned long ago.

This

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/17/18 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Thanks Jeff (590 Challenger) my new starter came today.

Thanks and your welcome

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/17/18 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By Leigh

This

Yep, that's pretty much all that goes bad with them, I sold tens of thousands of 'em
Posted By: Willie68coronet

Re: Starters Big Box store Vs Local auto parts - 04/17/18 04:36 PM

Got a link to those starter contacts you sell 590?
© 2024 Moparts Forums