Moparts

Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle

Posted By: mopar dave

Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/08/18 04:54 PM

I know this has been beat to death, but whats the latest on pinion angle needed for Drag radial vs the QTP? I'm buying new tires to replace the QTP's and going back to a drag radial for 99% street driving. My current pinion angle is 2* down. Thanks
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/08/18 04:58 PM

What rear suspension?

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/08/18 05:01 PM

Dana with cal tracs. Gonna change out the front springs for longer to get the tire centered and will be a good time to set correct pinion angle for the Radials.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/08/18 05:02 PM

In my opinion you want to try to get the drive shaft as close to straight as possible without going past straight under acceleration.. my old application was about right with 3*.. now I run 7*.. I bounce between bias and radials all the time.. and never change pinion angle.. maybe you can get a camera down there and watch what's going on and get an accurate set up for your combination

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/08/18 05:11 PM

ok, i may be good where its at then. I have 1* on the shaft and 1* on the pinion.

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/08/18 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By mopar dave
ok, i may be good where its at then. I have 1* on the shaft and 1* on the pinion.
I would think that it would be safe place to start.. keep us posted on your e t improvements with the radial

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/08/18 08:39 PM

Had radial for years before the QTP. QTP are quicker. Didn't have the correct chassis set up for the radial at the time. The QTP was quicker but the radial was faster.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/08/18 10:27 PM

I'd be a bit concerned at 2* myself as that's in the ladder bar/4-link zone w/a lot less wrap up......5 would be a good happy medium imo........ beer

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/08/18 10:41 PM

Ok Dom. I'll make note of that. I wasn't sure how much movement or wrap up there was down there compared to a ladder.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/08/18 11:04 PM

Calvert recommends measuring the angle of the transmission and the angle of the pinion. The driveshaft angle is not measured in their method. IIRC my tail shaft is down 1.7° and the pinion is yoke down 1.8°, 3.5° total. I think Calvert recommends 2-4°.

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/08/18 11:13 PM

Its been a few years since i talked to calverts but they recommended 3* pinion angle back then. I will have to remeasure the tailshaft angle which was 2* with the small block if i remember correct. I now have a BB with an engine plate, so remeasuring tail shaft angle i will for sure.

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/09/18 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
I'd be a bit concerned at 2* myself as that's in the ladder bar/4-link zone w/a lot less wrap up......5 would be a good happy medium imo........ beer
.. okay I'll bite ...why would two degrees on a car that's 99% Street driven concern you.. I'm just curious. And what would be the consequences of running it like this
Posted By: dvw

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/09/18 08:08 PM

I would assume a drag radial car running Cal Tracks has a fair amount of seperation and housing rotation. Thus more pinion angle required to keep the pinion C/L from rotating past the driveshaft C/L under acceleration.
Doug
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/09/18 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By WHITEDART
Originally Posted By Thumperdart
.. okay I'll bite ...why would two degrees on a car that's 99% Street driven concern you.. I'm just curious. And what would be the consequences of running it like this

I ran too little pinion angle years ago and it wrapped up pretty good and felt a horrible vibration on acceleration because like you stated, "You'd like the DS to be near or zero under full load" but I can't even drive right so don't listen to my azz........... realcrazy

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/09/18 11:05 PM

Because it will see the track now and then. So if it wont hook, its a wasted day at the track. 99% street.

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/10/18 02:09 PM

Looks like no one has found drag radials needing a different pinion angle than a bias tire. Just thought i would check before getting this apart and get the best angle while i'm in there.

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/10/18 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By WHITEDART
In my opinion you want to try to get the drive shaft as close to straight as possible without going past straight under acceleration.. my old application was about right with 3*.. now I run 7*.. I bounce between bias and radials all the time.. and never change pinion angle.. maybe you can get a camera down there and watch what's going on and get an accurate set up for your combination

I tried but I guess you did not like it..keep fishing tell you catch the answer you like

Re: Drag radial vs QTP pinion angle - 04/10/18 03:47 PM

I understood the first time. 3* is the target. Where did you take your measures to arrive at 3*? Thank you
© 2024 Moparts Forums