Moparts

fuel boiling

Posted By: plycuda

fuel boiling - 04/03/18 01:27 AM

took the car out thursday stuck in traffic. temp outside was 80 and it started acting stupid. engine temp was only 175. finally got it home and the fuel looked like it was boiling right out the squirters. I have a 1" phenolic spacer on it. is wood better. what are you using to put over the fuel line to insulate it.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: fuel boiling - 04/03/18 01:34 AM

The fuel was boiling basically due to it being
winter time fuel(left over when you put it away)
wave
Posted By: plycuda

Re: fuel boiling - 04/03/18 01:59 AM

I just filled it up at the gas station. I've driven it a few times in the last month. I don't know when they switch to summer gas
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: fuel boiling - 04/03/18 02:46 AM

Did you ever wonder why it did it on the warmest
day.. its still winter fuel and it will show
up a lot easier with winter fuel
wave
Posted By: A/MP

Re: fuel boiling - 04/03/18 03:47 AM

Go on to your states website and find out when they stop with the winter oxygenation. Its different among most of the states. Then you have to wonder when they empty the storage tanks and start supplying summer blend fuels. Usually the 93 octane is the last to be changed over due to its lower volume of sales.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: fuel boiling - 04/03/18 05:08 AM

There's actually two dates. One for the distributors and a later date for the retailers to be fully switched over.
from 2013 https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=11031
but looks like its still valid.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/the-vapor-rub-summer-versus-winter-gasoline-explained

The winter fuel RVP is a culprit in the warm early spring weather vapor lock.
What to do about Winter fuel in the summer?

Posted By: 383man

Re: fuel boiling - 04/04/18 08:37 AM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
The fuel was boiling basically due to it being
winter time fuel(left over when you put it away)
wave

Mr P is dead right. In Md where I live they switch to summer fuel around mid April and the winter crap will boil at a lower temp. I use a phenolic spacer also and have no trouble in the summer on summer 92 pump. I have heard the wood spacers are very good but don't know if they are better then the phenolic ? Good luck , Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums