Moparts

Drive shaft free play???

Posted By: moparlulu

Drive shaft free play??? - 03/30/18 11:48 PM

Finishing up changing out the rear from a 8 3/4 to a Dana 60. as it stands, I have close to a half inch of play from the yoke bottoming in the transmission. Is this enuff play???? 68 Charger sitting on Caltrac mono leafs and bars.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Drive shaft free play??? - 03/31/18 12:00 AM

I wouldn't run less than 3/4", but 1" is better.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Drive shaft free play??? - 03/31/18 12:10 AM

Is that the minimum free play? If so that is enough. If that is the free play at ride height then you need to check it with the suspension moving to make sure it doesn't bottom out at some point.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Drive shaft free play??? - 03/31/18 02:18 AM

Unknowingly I've run mine at 1/4" with no trouble. Didn't realize it was that tight since the car's tightest spot is at ride height.
Doug

Re: Drive shaft free play??? - 03/31/18 07:04 AM

If the tightest point still has 1/4 inch of travel then I'd think that is enough unless the suspension and/or the engine mounts have a lot of play in it.

If the endplay gets too tight then it can be difficult to remove the driveshaft. There has to be room to move the driveshaft forward so it can come out of the pinion yoke.
Posted By: moparlulu

Re: Drive shaft free play??? - 03/31/18 07:39 AM

That's at the tightest points of travel. the most looks to be about 3/4". Looks like I should be good! Thanks for the confirmation guys!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Drive shaft free play??? - 03/31/18 07:43 AM

Add weight into the trunk to compress the suspension a lot more just to be safe twocents
All the Mopars I have work on get closer with the suspension loaded down, they get more driveshaft end play when the suspension is extended like under hard acceleration scope
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Drive shaft free play??? - 03/31/18 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF

If the endplay gets too tight then it can be difficult to remove the driveshaft. There has to be room to move the driveshaft forward so it can come out of the pinion yoke.

That's my thought too, since the u-joint cups are around 1 inch in diameter.

Re: Drive shaft free play??? - 04/01/18 12:41 AM

Yeah I made that mistake on my Duster since it was the first car I did with Calvert springs. My Coronet has super stock springs and they droop down a long way and pull the driveshaft with them. The Calvert springs don't have much droop to them so the driveshaft doesn't pull out of the trans very far. I had a hard time wiggling the driveshaft out of the Duster since I had set it up the same way as on my Coronet.
© 2024 Moparts Forums