Moparts

Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body

Posted By: Uncle Barry

Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/26/18 10:38 PM

Anybody? Just window shopping now. Would like to put a rollbar in my car soon and just curious if anyone has pictures and how they like them and if they worked with stock floor pans. Thanks all
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/26/18 11:46 PM

They will work but you'll need to fabricate brackets. I built a few different ones for my car and ended up using these.

Attached picture DSC_1190 (Large).JPG
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/27/18 02:04 PM

If you do install, make sure you at least put some type of metal on bottom side so the bolts don't pull thru the stock floor if something bad may happen
Posted By: Uncle Barry

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/27/18 02:17 PM

Thanks Andy and Bigdad. I appreciate the advice
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/27/18 06:45 PM

We made tubular mount in my car that tie into the factory seat holes & in addition to the frame connector/undercar bars & into the trans tunnel as well. Hard to tell but they are under there.

Attached picture 20150424_205804_resized.jpg
Posted By: Tig

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/28/18 11:35 AM

Apologies for Hijacking here but where do you guys get the carbon fibre bar covers from?
TIA
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/28/18 01:58 PM

https://www.jerrybickel.com/carbon-fiber-tube-protectors.html
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/28/18 04:24 PM

I got a 73 Cuda and I'm looking at the same, I know mine will rest on the floor just to get head room. E-bodys don't have much height as the b-bodys (I think 2" less). Even my Duster seats are bolted directly to the floor, (poly type) just to get my head under the roll bar (6-1)
Been toying with some mounts but I like the looks of the side mounts shown above.
Remember, seats need to be attached adequately but it's the seat belts that holds you and the seat in place in the event of a wreck.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/28/18 06:52 PM

Yep, Bickel is where I bought mine. I didn't really want to cover up all the blue but they do help keeping everything looking good after climbing in & out so much & the seat belts smacking off off the bars.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/28/18 07:18 PM

One thing to get right is the position of the seat, also the height and lay back. Race car or street car once their bolted down you don't want to be uncomfortable . Block it up with 2 x 4 "s or anything to get it setting right then measure , drill and bolt it down.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/28/18 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By rowin4
One thing to get right is the position of the seat, also the height and lay back. Race car or street car once their bolted down you don't want to be uncomfortable . Block it up with 2 x 4 "s or anything to get it setting right then measure , drill and bolt it down.

I'm glad you said that.. a lot of guys dont add
in the lay back part and its never comfortable
wave
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/28/18 08:55 PM

I have an extra set of the brackets I made for my car if you are interested. You'll need to fabricate the rails for the floor, I just have the side brackets.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/28/18 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969

Remember, seats need to be attached adequately but it's the seat belts that holds you and the seat in place in the event of a wreck.

I disagree with that somewhat, a seat belt holds you against the seat, it the seat moves away from the belt, the belt goes limp, defeating the belts purpose. The seat needs to be secured to incur all, if not more forces then the seat belts, in regards to anchorages, to allow both to do their job together. twocents

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/29/18 06:03 AM

Belts and seat are for frontal and somewhat side impacts. How would the seat move in a frontal impact if belts a drawn tight? It would tighten up against the belts. Rear impact, belts maybe not, seat could if the persons mass didn't rip it out of the mounts. Anyway go online and read up on the aviation study's.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/29/18 04:06 PM

Do not assume accidents are predictable nor likely just frontal, nor just a single impact. The issue is once a seat moves ( likely does not rebound) in any direction that loosens the belts, the belts serve little use in any additional impacts from any direction. I think comparing the intended purpose of a seat belt in a thin skinned alum tube that can reach mid 3 digit speeds impacts with the ground to a steel purpose designed forimpact cage at barely 3 digit speeds with an occupant wearing a rated helmet is not overly useful. twocents

Re: Kirkey seats in a stock floor board e body - 03/29/18 06:38 PM

Opinions are like butts, we all have one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums