Moparts

Mopar performance starter help

Posted By: WHITEDART

Mopar performance starter help - 03/21/18 05:31 AM

After 12 years my Mopar performance starter checked out.. at the most opportune time.. in staging Lanes of the last qualifier.. we ran up to the auto parts store and grabbed Gra a 92 Dakota starter.. cranks the motor over perfectly however it is slightly larger than my old Mopar performance starter.. anyone have any idea where I can get another one of those small units... thanks ahead of time
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Mopar performance starter help - 03/21/18 07:26 AM

Mopar Performance has offer so many different mini starters over the years it would be hard to say which one you have and want to replace it with one exactly like it work
I would take it over to Glendora Dodge and see if they have one like it in stock or can find one like it in other dealers inventory on their computer scope twocents
Good luck thumbs
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Mopar performance starter help - 03/21/18 07:39 AM

I have been using the cheap mini starters on ebay, they are that cheap that I have 5 of them on the shelf but have only had one fail in 10 years and using them in 12.5-1 big blocks, best deal I have had was $80 aussie so about $60 USD. Ive seen lots of these around painted a different color and maybe a decal with a name brand attached for way more cash. MSD 50983 or 5098 look like the exact same unit.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Starter-Motor-Suit-Dodge-Valiant-V8-Mopar-Chrysler-318-340-360-383-440-12v-Ligh/162683128396?hash=item25e0ab8a4c:g:G5IAAOSwzrBasNnl

Sorry link not working, search item number 162683128396
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Mopar performance starter help - 03/21/18 12:08 PM

Take it to a local rebuilder. They can repair and identify it for you.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Mopar performance starter help - 03/21/18 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By TRENDZ
Take it to a local rebuilder. They can repair and identify it for you.
.. well not thinking I left it as a core.. kind of a desperate measure track site fix in a pinch.. I'm not necessarily looking for the exact one I had for say maybe just the lightest one on the market
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Mopar performance starter help - 03/21/18 03:14 PM

I was thinking the MP starter was nothing more than the Nippondenso used on cars/trucks of the era.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Mopar performance starter help - 03/21/18 03:21 PM

great news! you qualify for free shipping!! laugh2

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-5007860/

I'm almost certain there was nothing "special" about these starters.
Posted By: moparjohn

Re: Mopar performance starter help - 03/21/18 07:35 PM

When we were weighing starters over on the weight loss post the 5007860 starter weighed in at 8 1/2 LBS. It is advertised as a 7 LB starter! We have yet to find one that is only 7 LBS!
MJ
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Mopar performance starter help - 03/21/18 08:31 PM

I bought one the first month they were available. I'll weigh it when I get a chance. The first ones were standard thread, later models ( have one of those too) were metric.
© 2024 Moparts Forums