Moparts

Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside

Posted By: toplescuda

Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/14/18 06:15 AM

A intake I bought.....never seen one that had mods like this. Someone went through a lot of work. Sectioned. Carb flanges milled flat and level. And divider wall lowered under carbs....maybe someone (very long shot) know history on it?

Attached picture Screenshot_20180308-225341.png

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/14/18 06:17 AM

Stock intake

Attached picture Screenshot_20180308-225727.png
Posted By: Qwik426

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/14/18 07:14 AM

Originally Posted By toplescuda
A intake I bought.....never seen one that had mods like this. Someone went through a lot of work. Sectioned. Carb flanges milled flat and level. And divider wall lowered under carbs....maybe someone (very long shot) know history on it?

Definitely a trick piece. No, I've never seen a Hemi intake with such mods before.

Pete
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/14/18 08:30 AM

That intake looks like it started off life as a IR manifold, tunnel ram with individual runners to the carbs with no plenum, and someone modified the top to make it what it is now shruggy work
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the work was done on it was done by Mopar drag race development for one of the Mopar full sponsored racers or race teams like Sox and Martin, Landy, Butch Leal or someone else like Herb McCandless shruggy work
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/14/18 09:34 AM

I'd bet Chuck Nyutten could tell you things about that intake.

I was on the phone with him the day Lee Shepard was killed. We were discussing tunnel Rams with carbs or mechanical injection. I think we were 30-35 minutes into the conversation when he heard the news. Aside from that horrible death, we were talking about plenum shapes and volume, runner length and taper (I'll never forget he said he had several very high dollar intakes sitting there that had reverse taper on the runners and he said on a hemi they were a loser every time) and other fuel system stuff. I've never forgotten that. He was running a Hemi Pro Stock car back then.

You may want to call him.

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/14/18 02:00 PM

Offenhauser.. intake. They all look like the bottom pic
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/14/18 05:04 PM

A guy I work with has a buddy that was at the scrap yard & he bought all 7 intake manifolds (mostly SBC's) for like $35.00 ea. 1 was a old school tunnel Ram duel Dominator Hemi intake. I gave him $100.00 for it just because it was for a Hemi. It is all cut up & welded on the inside & the top half has been welded on also.

Attached picture IMG_20141024_200711_525.jpg

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/15/18 03:07 AM

Lol I like it

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/15/18 03:26 AM

I looked at all the hemi motor pics in the 70s thread (killer thread and great pics) didn't see one single hemi tunnel ram that had been shortend
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/15/18 02:17 PM

Probably b/c shortening it like yours reduces the plenum volume significantly.
I've never seen an Offy tunnelram used on any of the old school hemi race motors. Being a dual plane, it's definitely more of a street piece.

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/16/18 06:22 AM

It showed up today. Looking it over....id say it was prob a single 4 top. They cut too off and a alum plate welded on
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/16/18 06:04 PM

I never saw anyone running an Offenhauser Tunnel Ram in any class at the drag strip in the 70s and like said above only saw one on the street. I still have the Weiand Tunnel Ram in the basement and have two top pieces for it.

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/16/18 09:24 PM

Wonder how much of that was based off looks alone. The off is somewhat boxy looking. Where the weiand.. looks more like a serious piece (back in the time) I had a weiand.hemi ram on the duel plug motor. Far as looks alone it sure looked bad a@@ lol
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/17/18 05:53 AM

To me: That Offy looked like the bottom design was compromised to fit a multi-fit top half.
I imagine the teams of the day tested them all and the Weiand outpulled the others.
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/17/18 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By hemicar1971
I never saw anyone running an Offenhauser Tunnel Ram in any class at the drag strip in the 70s and like said above only saw one on the street. I still have the Weiand Tunnel Ram in the basement and have two top pieces for it.

I ran that intake on the street years ago on a 440 and it was great! Gave the car killer looks and it performed very well! The long runners seemed to help the bottom end. Engine idle speed was nice and low. I liked it! Two 600 Holleys, street Hemi cam, stock 906 heads w/6 pack springs and cheapo headers... stick car
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/17/18 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By Bull1tt
Originally Posted By hemicar1971

I ran that intake on the street years ago on a 440 and it was great! Gave the car killer looks and it performed very well! The long runners seemed to help the bottom end. Engine idle speed was nice and low. I liked it! Two 600 Holleys, street Hemi cam, stock 906 heads w/6 pack springs and cheapo headers... stick car

Even when I ran a kind of Super stock 440 in my Challenger with a Comp 750 lift big valve ported heads still ran a Weiand Tunnel Ram mostly with a pair of 850 Holley carbs on it. Ran the Hemi with a Weiand Tunnel and a pair of Doms. The Challenger was far from a street car but it did see some action on the street.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Guys around hemi pro stock 70s step inside - 03/17/18 06:55 PM

Had a manifold built identical to it,designed by Jim Cavaliare at Diamond and built by Alan Krem and myself for my Modified production Roadrunner in the late 70s,early 80s.It didn't work worth crap,sold it at the Mopar Nats in Columbus in the 90s for $100. shruggy
© 2024 Moparts Forums