Moparts

Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood

Posted By: Bad340fish

Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 03/08/18 06:33 PM

Is anyone running one of these? I am down to AAR and Glasstek for a hood for my car and I would like some measurements off of a production one if anyone has one. I think AAR will only bolt the hemi scoop on where Glasstek sells the hood with it molded in, so Glasstek is the way I am leaning. Thanks for any info.
Posted By: Old School

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 03/08/18 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By Bad340fish
Is anyone running one of these? I am down to AAR and Glasstek for a hood for my car and I would like some measurements off of a production one if anyone has one. I think AAR will only bolt the hemi scoop on where Glasstek sells the hood with it molded in, so Glasstek is the way I am leaning. Thanks for any info.

I have an AAR fiberglass bolt on Hood. It also has the tall superstock scoop. What measurement do you need?

Attached picture KIMG0623.jpg
Attached picture KIMG0624.jpg
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 03/08/18 10:06 PM

I have a Kramer hood on my Dart, great quality! I don't know if he still makes these for the Darts and Barracudas or not though. shruggy

Attached picture Hemi Dart at Carlilsle.jpg

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 03/09/18 12:38 AM

How far from the back of the hood does the scoop start?

I have a tunnel ram that is pretty tall with the air cleaners on it. I do not think overall hieght is a problem I am a little concerned with placement of the back of the scoop though.

I really want a Hemi Scoop but a cowl might be my next best option.
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 03/09/18 12:47 AM

I have the Glasstek molded on scoop. The hood is great,but if your going to race the car there's a few things you need to know. BTW, that cowl hood will gain you 2mph in the 1/4 vs the parachute/hemi scoop.

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 03/09/18 12:50 AM

Wow, I knew it might be worth something but that is alot.

Choosing a hood is stressful haha, especially when I like the look of the stock hood so much.
Posted By: 4mopower

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 03/10/18 01:48 PM

I have a bolt on Glasstex hood with a Hemi scoop. The scoop is slightly larger then the carbon fiber hood from Cenergy that i had.
Posted By: jughed

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 03/11/18 03:29 PM

You can also buy a flat hood and mount the scoop as far back as you need it to be. Working with fiberglass is not difficult.
This Glasstek tall Hemi scoop is mounted to an AAR hood. The hood had the 4" tall scoop, but had to swap it out to clear the taller Indy 3X intake

Attached picture 2016-05-21 18.14.48.jpg
Posted By: Jet Doc

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 03/12/18 10:18 PM

I had a Glasstek hood with the scoop molded in from Glasstek, it was spot on, with very little finish work needed.
Posted By: ksj

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 03/13/18 04:09 AM

Dont go Sussino height if you get a Cowl scoop.LOL.

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 07/01/18 02:10 PM

Update on this, I went back and forth for weeks. With no hood on the car and poor details from the hood makers I couldn't bring myself to order a hood with a scoop on it. So I ordered a glasstek pin on flat hood. I took the throttle bodies off of the tunnel ram and set the hood on the car. Fits perfect, now I just need to get some pins and cut a hole.

Nobody could provide me with measurements of the scoop placement that made me feel confident enough to order a hood with a scoop, the rear throttle body is pretty far back and I couldn't risk it not fitting. Now I will either bolt a hemi scoop on from glasstek, or a cowl, or just leave the throttle bodies peaking out the hood.

Notes for those shopping, glasstek had great service, met the timeline they said, and had a quality product. However they want $320 to add one of THIER scoops to THIER hood in house, that seemed ridiculous to me and is one of the reasons I stayed with a flat hood. I wasn't cool with paying them another $200ish for the cowl I wanted then another $320 to put it on.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 07/01/18 03:57 PM

Update on this, I went back and forth for weeks. With no hood on the car and poor details from the hood makers I couldn't bring myself to order a hood with a scoop on it. So I ordered a glasstek pin on flat hood. I took the throttle bodies off of the tunnel ram and set the hood on the car. Fits perfect, now I just need to get some pins and cut a hole.

Nobody could provide me with measurements of the scoop placement that made me feel confident enough to order a hood with a scoop, the rear throttle body is pretty far back and I couldn't risk it not fitting. Now I will either bolt a hemi scoop on from glasstek, or a cowl, or just leave the throttle bodies peaking out the hood.

Notes for those shopping, glasstek had great service, met the timeline they said, and had a quality product. However they want $320 to add one of THIER scoops to THIER hood in house, that seemed ridiculous to me and is one of the reasons I stayed with a flat hood. I wasn't cool with paying them another $200ish for the cowl I wanted then another $320 to put it on.

$320 is only 5 hours just for labor, maybe 4 hours for some. Plus materials, $, to attach. I don't think I could do it in 5 hours with all the tools, parts and resin on hand. I did a lot of fiberglass work on my last car and it's a slow, dirty job.
I think the scoop goes to the back edge of the hood.

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 07/01/18 04:30 PM

It may not be out of line, I don't do that kind of work. It just seemed high, they also raised the price $40 while I was shopping hoods maybe that made me bitter lol.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 07/02/18 03:52 AM

Just checked my 69 hood (hanging on the wall 5 years) scoop is about 3" from the back, if needed I took a photo.
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 07/06/18 05:59 PM

I don't have a glasstek hood on my car but I will say their fit and quality are great! I have their doors and trunk lid. Both required zero filler and little trimming to look great.

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 09/03/18 02:02 PM

The GlassTek flat hood turned out good. I will likely add a cowl or Hemi Scoop to it. It couldn't have fit any better really.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 7.01.06 AM.png
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 09/03/18 04:01 PM

Thinking out loud here and not telling anyone what or how they should do something. I bought a brand new flat hood from AAR back in 1999 with the intention to cut a hole in it for a tunnel ram. I spoke to AAR before any cutting and he told me since I was cutting thru structure to fiberglass in new structure before I cut. So I cleaned the underside of the hood where new matt would lay in. Cut some 1/2" thick 4" wide strips of celotex foam insulation board. (Hood upside down on lawn) After positioning the foam planks on the underside I glassed them in thus tieing them into the existing structure. Next day I cut my hole and the hood remained just as rigid as out of the big box.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 09/03/18 04:08 PM

Your Barracuda looks lean and mean with those carbs sticking thru.
Posted By: wkroncke17

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 09/03/18 04:59 PM

Wow, I knew it might be worth something but that is alot.

Choosing a hood is stressful haha, especially when I like the look of the stock hood so much.

^^Yes!! Kinda like choosing my auto shifter!^^ 😂😂

I have Glasstek 6 pack hood for my Demon, and the quality is second to none.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 09/03/18 05:07 PM

I think your car would look good with one of those smoked lexan carb scoops on top.

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 09/03/18 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By 2boltmain
Thinking out loud here and not telling anyone what or how they should do something. I bought a brand new flat hood from AAR back in 1999 with the intention to cut a hole in it for a tunnel ram. I spoke to AAR before any cutting and he told me since I was cutting thru structure to fiberglass in new structure before I cut. So I cleaned the underside of the hood where new matt would lay in. Cut some 1/2" thick 4" wide strips of celotex foam insulation board. (Hood upside down on lawn) After positioning the foam planks on the underside I glassed them in thus tieing them into the existing structure. Next day I cut my hole and the hood remained just as rigid as out of the big box.

I could see that being beneficial. However it doesn't seem to have lost an structural integrity. I might reinforce it more when I add a scoop or cowl(if). But for now I needed something to kind of cover the engine for drag week in 5 days. Next up is a makeshift rain cover for the throttle bodies.

Originally Posted By 2boltmain
Your Barracuda looks lean and mean with those carbs sticking thru.

Thanks, but no carbs here wink
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 09/03/18 05:35 PM

I used to be a fan of AAR products but the quality isn't what it used to be and i won't buy from them again or recommend them, I purchased new front and rear bumpers for my Dart and picked them up at Carlisle, The rear bumper had indentations for back up lights like a 67, Why they would have them on a glass bumper I don't know. I wanted 68-69 style with out the indentation. I returned the rear and he said he would credit my card which he hasn't done yet. The front bumper has a large raised seam that looks like a weld that has to be sanded down, he said its from the mold. I bought a glass trunk lid from them years ago and it was great but IMO the bumpers are junk. Same old story higher price lower quality.

Attached picture IMG_1068.PNG
Posted By: Troy

Re: Glasstek 68 Barracuda Hemi Scoop and Hood - 09/03/18 06:49 PM

Can somebody please post pictures of the top and underside of there Glasstek hood. I'm looking for a Barracuda hood with a superstock scoop. Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums