Moparts

Cold air inlet

Posted By: firefighter3931

Cold air inlet - 03/04/18 10:22 PM

Thinking of using a Ram air box setup on my 68 Charger with the stock flat hood.

http://www.ramairbox.com/

These air cleaner assemblies are sealed and use 4inch hose. My question centers on the inlet location. I'm thinking of running the inlets into the inner fender where air would be drawn in around the front wheels.

Obviously there is no ram effect but I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort vs the current setup which is a standard 14x3 drop base assembly.

Opinions ? Comments ?

Ron
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/04/18 11:08 PM

how are you going to keep rocks, dirt, leaves, water, etc, out?
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/05/18 05:35 AM

I use a ramairbox setup. Mine pulls through some holes I cut in the core support. I thought about the same location you are thinking of. I tried to fab the hoses off those locations, just couldn’t do it. To tight and odd angles to deal with. Perhaps you’re better than I at fabrication. I think it could be a decent place to pull from except in the rain. Let us know how it works out. Here’s mine:
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/05/18 09:31 AM

Originally Posted By StealthWedge67
I use a ramairbox setup. Mine pulls through some holes I cut in the core support. I thought about the same location you are thinking of. I tried to fab the hoses off those locations, just couldn’t do it. To tight and odd angles to deal with. Perhaps you’re better than I at fabrication. I think it could be a decent place to pull from except in the rain. Let us know how it works out. Here’s mine:

I like that, it looks good up bow
Posted By: Hemi ragtop

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/05/18 01:00 PM

Very clean and neat. I like the whole car! Any performance gains that you noticed after intall?
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/06/18 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By Hemi ragtop
Very clean and neat. I like the whole car! Any performance gains that you noticed after intall?

Thanks. I did it years ago when the original 383 was still in the car. If I remember correctly, I added it and changed carburetors at the same time, so it got faster but I can’t peg how much was this system vs the carb. Probably not much to be honest, but it certainly couldn’t have hurt it. It may be worth more to the current combo, since it is obviously drawing more air than the 383 did.

Regarding the ramairbox purchase, the product is very nicely finished and still looks great years later. Don’t hesitate to buy from them.
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/06/18 04:57 PM

Ron
If you can the cowl is a better area for air
Universal spinners is Scarborough makes the same type of housing
http://www.universalspinners.com/muscle-car-owners.php

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/06/18 09:10 PM

Thanks for the pics and feedback guys !

StealthWedge : that looks great....nice job on the install. Unfortunately in my case I don't have room to go through the core support. My aftermarket radiator has side tanks and is quite wide.

Shadow/Mark : I guess the cowl could work with a cowl scoop ?

I'm trying to keep the stock flat hood and don't like the look of any scoops on a 68-70 Charger hood.

My thinking was drawing ambiant air from the wheelwell area has to be much better than sucking 250* underhood air. My question really centered on how much better would it run and is it worth the expense ?

Ron
Posted By: CSK

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/07/18 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By firefighter3931
Thanks for the pics and feedback guys !

StealthWedge : that looks great....nice job on the install. Unfortunately in my case I don't have room to go through the core support. My aftermarket radiator has side tanks and is quite wide.

Shadow/Mark : I guess the cowl could work with a cowl scoop ?

I'm trying to keep the stock flat hood and don't like the look of any scoops on a 68-70 Charger hood.

My thinking was drawing ambiant air from the wheelwell area has to be much better than sucking 250* underhood air. My question really centered on how much better would it run and is it worth the expense ?

Ron

as far as 1/4 times I have no data, but after I sealed my air cleaner to my cowl hood the car ran much better on the street, the AFR was much more stable though the range of driving, the butt dyno says it had more power.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/07/18 05:35 PM

Spectra makes a kit also I got mine from Summit. I put the set up in my D150 and also put one hole in the radiator support and connected one to the factory ducting which pulls air from under the turn signal. I put a piece of screen in front of the support inlet to keep out bugs, etc.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/07/18 06:11 PM

Dizusters turbo car draws from the left inner wheel well. A K&N cone shaped filter is mounted in the wheel well behind the headlamp. One 4" tube/hose feeds 850hp. Street driven with no issue.
Doug
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/07/18 09:36 PM

Ron, a friend of mine has a super nice (& fast) 65 Coronet 500 with the 17"x 5"setup on his RB 512 stroker with 2x4's. Ducted to the inner headlight buckets with mesh covering the openings. Looks really trick & flows good. I know you can't do that with your Charger's concealed head lights, but Spectra makes a firewall ducted unit that draws air from the vents at the base of the windshield. Similar to what Petty did on his 64 NASCAR Belvedere. I'm considering that with my 64 Belvedere. BTW, glad to see you still have your 68 Charger & would be great to get together with Holly's Charger again. Buzz

Attached picture petty 64 cowl induction.jpg
Attached picture Shadowfax on launch small file.jpg
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/09/18 01:44 AM

Ron
you're in a bit of a quandary. Your machine is too nice to be cutting holes for air scoops in the inner fenders ,core support ,hell any place.
The cowl is a option for clean fresh air
Posted By: mkdart

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/09/18 11:57 PM

PM sent

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/10/18 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By csk
As far as 1/4 times I have no data, but after I sealed my air cleaner to my cowl hood the car ran much better on the street, the AFR was much more stable though the range of driving, the butt dyno says it had more power.

Thanks Charlie.....that's what I figured. Stands to reason that a sealed carb to fresh air would show some improvement.

Ron

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/10/18 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By Triggerfish
Ron, a friend of mine has a super nice (& fast) 65 Coronet 500 with the 17"x 5"setup on his RB 512 stroker with 2x4's. Ducted to the inner headlight buckets with mesh covering the openings. Looks really trick & flows good. I know you can't do that with your Charger's concealed head lights, but Spectra makes a firewall ducted unit that draws air from the vents at the base of the windshield. Similar to what Petty did on his 64 NASCAR Belvedere. I'm considering that with my 64 Belvedere. BTW, glad to see you still have your 68 Charger & would be great to get together with Holly's Charger again. Buzz

Hi Buzz,

Thanks for the info ! That cold air assembly looks effective but wouldn't work on a Charger. The wiper motor is right where that firewall ducting would have to be spliced in. It is still a street car and I need wipers apimp

Does Holly still have the '69....allways loved that car bow

Hope to make it back out to Vegas one of these years....allways a blast ! beer

Ron

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/10/18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By The Shadow
Ron
you're in a bit of a quandary. Your machine is too nice to be cutting holes for air scoops in the inner fenders ,core support ,hell any place.

Hey Mark,

Yep....it's too nice to cut up. I might have to rethink the aftermarket hood deal. A 'Glass hood sealed to the carb would be the least intrusive option (No Hacking)and provide some cool air with the ram effect. The added bonus would be a 50lb weight reduction on the nose. Just have to come up with something I like from an aesthetic standpoint. thumbs

Ron
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/10/18 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By firefighter3931
Originally Posted By Triggerfish

Hi Buzz,

Thanks for the info ! That cold air assembly looks effective but wouldn't work on a Charger. The wiper motor is right where that firewall ducting would have to be spliced in. It is still a street car and I need wipers apimp

Does Holly still have the '69....allways loved that car bow

Hope to make it back out to Vegas one of these years....allways a blast ! beer

Ron

Ron, I bought a one piece fiberglass hood with a 6 Pack scoop for the 69 R/T SE I had & gave it to Holly for his 69. Its stuffed away in his shed & he'll never use it with his Hemi, so if you're interested, I'll ask him if he wants to part with it. Landy used the earlier Hemi scoop on his Charger, but the 6 pack may work better since it sits higher. Here's one on a 68 from google images.

Attached picture 517 Hemi small file.jpg
Attached picture 68 charger 6 pack hood.jpg

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/10/18 08:58 PM

The 2nd gen Charger is a difficult one for a hood scoop, the stock hood looks the best, for me the cowl hood looks better on a Charger than other scoops.

Attached picture 18698233_10211468089170655_6103963305091555349_n.jpg
Posted By: Hemi ragtop

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/10/18 10:18 PM

Ron, your hood scoop is similar to mine. How do you like the ram air box I made for my 66'?

Attached picture air cleaner 34.jpg

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/11/18 01:51 AM

Hey Ron, here is the underside of my 1970 Road Runner cowl hood LOL smile

Attached picture undersidehood.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/11/18 01:56 AM

Is there any way to route the inlet tubes from the front of the radiator support down low on both sides to their air cleaner? scope
If so that would supply some cool air pressure and very little debris into the tubes like might occur from the inlet mounted into the tire wells work

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/11/18 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Is there any way to route the inlet tubes from the front of the radiator support down low on both sides to their air cleaner? scope
If so that would supply some cool air pressure and very little debris into the tubes like might occur from the inlet mounted into the tire wells work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Oldsmobile...r-/272069977980

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/11/18 05:11 PM

current setup

Attached picture 369.JPG

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/11/18 05:21 PM

old setup, duct work through fender to radiator core support next to headlight.

Attached picture Engine.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/11/18 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By mkdart
current setup

VERY nice ! up
beer

Re: Cold air inlet - 03/11/18 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By StealthWedge67

What degree separation is that? I’ve been thinking of this for my wagon.
© 2024 Moparts Forums