Moparts

Rear shock help

Posted By: wyldebill

Rear shock help - 03/02/18 09:05 PM

I'm in the building phase of my 68 valiant, and I'm looking at rear shocks. How much travel do I need on a leaf spring car?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Rear shock help - 03/02/18 10:19 PM

Depends on the springs used. Super Stock springs have a lot of travel so you might need 8 or 10 inches of travel. That is why those cars used to use Imperial stocks back in the day and then guys switched to pickup shocks or Rancho shocks. We would set them up with 2 inches of compression and 6 to 8 inches of drop since those cars would really stand up and go.

If you have Calvert split mono leaf springs then you only need about 6 inches of travel. 2 inches of compression and 4 inches of drop should do it. Or perhaps 1.5 inches of compression and 4.5 of drop if the track is smooth.

Re: Rear shock help - 03/02/18 11:05 PM

Thanks, I have a set of Calvert mono's.

Re: Rear shock help - 03/02/18 11:05 PM

Thanks, I have a set of Calvert mono's.
Posted By: humpty

Re: Rear shock help - 03/03/18 02:34 AM

Andy's got it right. I ended up with a 9" shock (AFCO 3890 specifically) on my 72 with Calvert split monos stock ride height bends. That left me with nearly 2" of compression at race weight and 2" of extension remaining without the shocks connected and the rear hanging off the ground.

I would take some mesurments before ordering your shocks to be sure.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Rear shock help - 03/03/18 06:13 PM

I had to make my own shock plates so I could get the lower mount in the correct location. For example, if you want 2 inches of compression and the rest for extension the lower mount needs to be located in the right spot. I couldn't find shock plates that did the trick so I welded up my own.

Attached picture DSC_2133 (Large).JPG
Attached picture DSC_2135 (Large).JPG
Attached picture DSC_2137 (Large).JPG
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Rear shock help - 03/03/18 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By wyldebill
I'm in the building phase of my 68 valiant, and I'm looking at rear shocks. How much travel do I need on a leaf spring car?
what are you looking to do with the car how fast and what tire will this be a power adder
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Rear shock help - 03/04/18 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By WHITEDART
Originally Posted By wyldebill
what are you looking to do with the car how fast and what tire will this be a power adder

No reply kinda sets off a RED flag to me.........and no Pics work
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Rear shock help - 03/05/18 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF
I had to make my own shock plates so I could get the lower mount in the correct location. For example, if you want 2 inches of compression and the rest for extension the lower mount needs to be located in the right spot. I couldn't find shock plates that did the trick so I welded up my own.

Nice work Andy.
Don
© 2024 Moparts Forums