Moparts

Question on bullet style mufflers

Posted By: B3422W5

Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/21/18 06:19 PM

Gonna buy a set of bullet style mufflers to quiet the car down a little from open headers, for some street use.
Have had dynomax bullets in the past and liked them. I see Kooks also makes this style muffler.
Any opinions on what night be the best to use. Looking for something to knock down the noise some, but extremely free from restriction as well.
Will probably race the car with whatever i buy kept on the car
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/21/18 06:24 PM

Big fan of the Dynomax Bullets here. Have a pair of 4" bullets I use on the car at the track. Way quieter than open headers, but runs the same with or without them. Slows down w/ every other exhaust I've tried.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/21/18 06:45 PM

Love mine and although loud at WFO they're not too bad cruising on the streets.......... coffee
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/21/18 06:47 PM

I've used both, Dynomax Bullets, the Race Bullets and the Mini Bullets. I like the Minis, a lot lighter and not that much louder.

I have a new pair of the minis in 3.5" inlet outlet I'm not going to use.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/21/18 06:53 PM

I used Custom Craft. Still do. I think that's the name.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/21/18 06:56 PM

Dang it...I use Car Chemisrty mufflers. Have since about 1992.
Posted By: topside

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/21/18 07:15 PM

My racecar has 3.5", X-pipe into Bullets, turndowns dump @ rear axle pointed slightly at each other to help beat a Db rule. Markedly more quiet, seems streetable from a sound aspect. Actually sounds more wicked than open headers, no slower, and I can hear other things in the car. Except at WOT.

Tried the same thing on a racy BB wagon, though, and it was much louder; probably aggravated by the big echo chamber wagons naturally have.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/21/18 08:29 PM

We have the "muffler required" on our local Drag Radial class. I took a race Bullet muffler & cut it in half & made two out of one under my car. Rule just says you have to have them. Does not say how small they can be.

Attached picture rsz_20160713_164732_002.jpg
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/21/18 09:04 PM

Supertrapps...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/21/18 09:31 PM

I put a set of the old crimp style Magnaflow 14x7x3.0 inch side inlet and center outlet muffs at the rear bumper with 3.0 inch pipes all the way through the system from the Hooker fenderwell headers on my old pump gas Duster, that car picked up .02 ET and .2 MPH in the 1/8 mile only with them off. shock No since in removing them really work
They where okay as far as in car hearing at part throttle, WOT got a lot louder shruggy
On another bracket car a set of 3.5 inch Bullets off of the A body fenderwell Hooker headers slow that car down .1 ET and 1.2 MPH in the 1/4 mile shruggy
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/22/18 03:59 AM

Have Dynamax on my wagon. They are pretty quiet at idle and light exceleration. But if I put my foot in it they really are no quieter than open headers.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/22/18 04:07 AM

I built a 3.5" x-pipe system to replace my TTI full 3" system. I drive 45 min to the track and don't want to deal with pulling the exhaust in the pits. The new system is LOUD but sounds better than open headers. The x-pipe picked up 2mph and .3-.4 at the stripe in my junk

Attached picture IMG_1014.JPG
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/22/18 04:22 AM

I blew my dynamic mufflers apart in about one year. I was recommended a set of Pypes and they are going on three years. I’m still cleaning fiberglass from the bottom of my Duster
Posted By: 62SAVOY

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/22/18 11:08 AM

Anybody use these style?

Dynatech Vortex Insert Cones

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtc-772-32520/overview/

Boss said he used to use these in his cars and worked good.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Question on bullet style mufflers - 02/22/18 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By 62SAVOY
Anybody use these style?

Dynatech Vortex Insert Cones

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtc-772-32520/overview/

Boss said he used to use these in his cars and worked good.

Have a set of those on the Camaro. It has a 14.5:1 436" sb chevy in it that has a nice cackle to it...those things took the edge off the idle to where it doesn't hurt your ears as bad. It did quieten it somewhat, but not a lot. They did not slow it down at all though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums