Moparts

oil filters

Posted By: RustyM

oil filters - 02/16/18 04:29 AM

read the thread on oil- what oil filters work well on big blocks and don't cause unneeded extra strain on pump?

Thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: oil filters - 02/16/18 04:42 AM

Any racing filter will bypass at a lower pressure and bypass more oil than a conventional filter will shruggy Maybe not a good thing work
The bigger the filter, the more area in the filter it has and the oil will have less resistance to oil flow up work
Years ago I dyno tested the same motor and oil pump with one conventional size oil filter on the pump and then change the pump top to use one remote mounted oil filter, and then two and finally four oil filters mounted in parallel, not in series, and saw no losses or gains on the dyno shock confused
I did learn or remembered later that all the Mopar and Ford type oil filters have built in bypass in them, not like most of the GM style oil filter that are full flow with the bypass in the oil filter adapter bolted into the block work shruggy
My race car motor has a NASCAR race size remote mounted oil filter (like the Fram HP6 size) but I use the Wix brand race filter with a built in bypass up
Posted By: GY3

Re: oil filters - 02/16/18 04:44 AM

I use Baldwin on anything I care about.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: oil filters - 02/16/18 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By GY3
I use Baldwin on anything I care about.

As do I 90 % of the time.

As I recall Hastings was bought out by Baldwin. I could be wrong on that.

My dad always stood by Hastings.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: oil filters - 02/16/18 05:28 AM

Wix or Napa Gold for me.
Posted By: 65Fury440

Re: oil filters - 02/16/18 06:54 AM

No bypass
https://www.ebay.com/i/400808773453?chn=ps
Posted By: BradH

Re: oil filters - 02/16/18 06:18 PM

Jomar Mopar/Ford filter: no bypass ==> LINK

Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: oil filters - 02/16/18 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Wix or Napa Gold for me.

iagree
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: oil filters - 02/16/18 09:32 PM

NAPA Gold for a daily driver. I used a System One trash can - the same one - for many years, on the race stuff. Clean it, check it after every weekend. Change the o-rings occasionally. I think it was 45 micron. I loved it. I really like the Clear View Filtration assemblies being sold now. That would be my choice.

I see a lot K&Ns on fuel and professional engines. Don't know the number, I expect at that level, people are having filters made to their spec.

Micron rating needs to be paid attention to. The Wix 51515R and 57003R are 61 micron. Standard Wix is 19. The Fram HP6A is 12. I see street filters down around 10.

I suggest reading the David Reher article referenced in the engine oil thread.
© 2024 Moparts Forums