Moparts

Trick to free up wrist pins?

Posted By: peabodyracing

Trick to free up wrist pins? - 02/14/18 02:00 AM

Years back I did some trading and ended up with a fresh 361 short block as part of the deal.

Earlier this year I went to turn it over like I do with every engine I have sitting on a stand, and it wouldn't budge. It'd been 6-7 months since I'd last turned it over.

Initially I assumed the rings had grabbed the cylinder walls, but then pulled it apart and discovered several of the wrist pins are just shy of, or completely stuck in the piston. I was able to move things enough to get all 8 out of the block without breaking anything, but it took some effort.

Soaked them with WD40 and let them sit for a couple months now. No change.

Any tips on how to get them freed up? I've a use for the short block now and would sure like to save it.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: scottb

Re: Trick to free up wrist pins? - 02/14/18 02:47 AM

Press them apart and have them honed
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Trick to free up wrist pins? - 02/14/18 04:31 AM

Heat the pistons by dunking them in a bucket of VERY hot water for a few seconds (maybe 30 seconds), then quickly push the pin out. Water temp needs to be near boiling.

Brian
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Trick to free up wrist pins? - 02/14/18 04:50 AM

I just had that issue with some new pistons/pins & I posted how to free em & what they said I tried & worked slick as hell but I don't remember what it was & I tried to "search" function but no luck. EDIT I just went into the kitchen for a midnite snack & it hit me, I warmed em in the oven slightly & they came right out! (alum expands more (or faster) than steel!)
Posted By: peabodyracing

Re: Trick to free up wrist pins? - 02/28/18 01:53 AM

I wanted to follow up and thank you all for your input.

This afternoon I put a large pan of water on the stove and heated the water up to about 180 degrees. It took less thank 15 seconds per assembly to free up the wrist pins in the pistons.

Dried them, sprayed them with a rust preventative, moved the rod and wrist pin around repeatedly in all directions and they've been sitting now for several hours. Keep trying them and they move as good as new.

Really appreciate your help!
© 2024 Moparts Forums