Moparts

United Nostalgia Stock Superstock

Posted By: Dads426

United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/03/18 05:02 AM

Dan Woods and Lance Keen, in conjunction with Cecil County Dragway, have established a new NSS group called United Nostalgia Stock Superstock. Races will be held once per month with two extra races at Beaver Springs Dragway. Rules and schedule are posted on facebook under the group name in the title. Check it out. This is gonna be big.

Attached picture UNSS.jpg
Posted By: biff426

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/03/18 05:21 AM

Glad to see this they say small or big blocks allowed how about Gen 3 hemi swaps that are carbureted? I would be interested in running this but both my rides are gen 3 Hemi powered with carbs.

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/03/18 05:48 AM

My gut reaction is yes, but I would message Dan Woods on Facebook (he's a Ford guy). It's more about the type of car, it's appearance and not the engine.
Posted By: BradH

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/03/18 05:53 AM

Link? I get nothing searching online...

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/03/18 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By BradH

If you have a Facebook account, you should be able to access it. Hasn't been posted anywhere else. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1778047672226082/?fref=ts
Posted By: 383man

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/03/18 08:35 PM

I love this as Cecil is where I like to race since I drive my car to the track and my brother only lives a few miles from Cecil. But I now know I will be out of commission for a few months at least. My left knee has gotten so bad I have to have it replaced on March the 19th. So I hope later in the summer I can make a race or two. Ron

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/04/18 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By Dads426
Originally Posted By BradH

If you have a Facebook account, you should be able to access it. Hasn't been posted anywhere else. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1778047672226082/?fref=ts

Unless they have an issue with my modified T/A scoop, I think the MoPig would fit right in there.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/04/18 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By 383man
I love this as Cecil is where I like to race since I drive my car to the track and my brother only lives a few miles from Cecil. But I now know I will be out of commission for a few months at least. My left knee has gotten so bad I have to have it replaced on March the 19th. So I hope later in the summer I can make a race or two. Ron

What do you mean late summer.My wife had both of her knees replaced at the same time and was released by the doctor to do what ever she wanted 11 days later. Good luck with your surgery. Have both done if your other is also bad as it will need it soon also. Google knee replacement, pretty interesting . Got a drill ,saw and hammer?

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/04/18 04:21 AM

So I emailed Dan and they will allow Gen 3 swaps as long as they have a carb. I will be there with at least one car. Looking forward to it.
Posted By: topside

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/04/18 05:58 AM

I don't see how a Gen3 is in any "nostalgia"...I was hoping they'd want cars that are era-correct, or better yet, actual racecars from that era.

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/04/18 08:55 AM

Originally Posted By rowin4
Originally Posted By 383man

What do you mean late summer.My wife had both of her knees replaced at the same time and was released by the doctor to do what ever she wanted 11 days later. Good luck with your surgery. Have both done if your other is also bad as it will need it soon also. Google knee replacement, pretty interesting . Got a drill ,saw and hammer?

Cool as that would be great. I have had people telling me I wont be back to normal for 3 months or longer. They had me thinking I wont be driving for months. So I hope your much closer to the time I will be getting the new knee working good. That will be great if I am only down for even a month as then I wont miss any racing or cruising season. boogie Thanks , Ron

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/04/18 09:08 AM

Originally Posted By topside
I don't see how a Gen3 is in any "nostalgia"...I was hoping they'd want cars that are era-correct, or better yet, actual racecars from that era.

I can understand what you mean as I guess you would want the cars to have engines something like they had back then ? But no one can see the eng when the car is going down the track. Course when I see some Nostalgia cars that are mid 60's cars and they are running 8's that is also a bit misleading since they were no where near that fast back then. I guess the most important thing is the look should be right or thats what I think. I like it when they have to have the right hood scoops also as that helps keep the right look. I just don't like to see the rules get to easy as then it may start to get farther away from the Nostalgia look that the class is all about. Course myself I am just glad to see a lot of Nostalgia classes because its the type of racing I love. Ron
Posted By: JACK1440

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/04/18 03:01 PM

Dan did make the rule that the engine needs to match the make of the car (ford must be ford powered ect...) We'll be there hopefully for most of the races.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/04/18 04:12 PM

The major problem with most all of the nostalgia ss/races is that there are too many different organizations with too many different rules.This limits the car count at any event and for these events to servive there has to be increased car counts.
My opinion is that if it looks period correct let it in after all its nothing more than a bracket race.The more cars the larger the events and more interest.If you insist that it be period correct then what is the definition of the period that you are trying to capture,1959/1965,1966/1975,then define it as such.In those periods we saw the changes from factory built cars with Atlas Plycron 7" tires to modified factory cars with 14" Goodyears and so on.So event promopters need to put aside all the BS and let anything that looks nostalgia compete.When two cars make a pass what does anyone know whats under the hood,2 fours,single 4 or TB injection and who cares.Seeing a 65 hemi or 63 409 Chevy or 427 Ford or any of the aforementioned brands with small blocks blast down the track is what your mind formulates as a nostalgia race.If it walks like a duck and looks like a duck then its a duck.That the duck had a good meal of grain or a hard snort of cocaine and puts on a exciting and graphic display of performance is what counts and the more ducks performing and the more people watching these displays of performances will help a dying sport possibably servive.
Posted By: cb1289

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/04/18 06:23 PM

Quack quack!
Posted By: KD800X

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 02:06 AM

Sounds like a great series! I look forward to possibly hitting some of United NS/S races at the Beaver, Cecile County is a little to far.

I'm glad you are opening Nostalgia Super Stock up to more cars - Small Blocks, 50's & 70's cars 1,2, or 3 carburetor's included.

Bob is right, in order for the class to survive promoters & purest need to realize that we need to open it up to more combinations....

However I think that there has to be limitations. I personally don't think LS and GenIII Hemi's have a place in Nostalgia Racing even with a Carburetor.(just my opinion)
If you're going to use the thought that no one knows what is under the hood when it's going down the track, then one can say the same about the interior, or the frame rails of the car. Why not allow early 1980's Super Gas Small Block 69 Camaro that has been back halved with an all aluminum interior run Nostalgia Super Stock as long as they take the snorkel hood scoop off.
I think just by allowing Small Block Camaro's alone will greatly improve the car counts. For Crying Out Loud, they're still making them LOL.

Nostalgia racing was started by the men and women who lived and raced in the 60's. But we are at a time when that generation is retiring, and unfortunately some cases dyeing off.
It's time for the youth of the 70's to relive there younger days, so the class MUST evolve to accommodate them. (this is where I feel NMCA is making a mistake)
And as Bob mentioned another issue facing NS/S is every organization has it's own set of rules. A racers has to call ahead of time to see if they are legal... or make the trip to the track only to find out that they don't fit the rules... NOT GOOD. Or one race is .500 full tree - another race is .400 full tree and another race is .500 Pro Tree. Too confusing. Unified Rules would be a huge help.

With this all being said, UNSS allowing GenIII Hemi's and LS engines in NS/S would not stop me from supporting the organization or racing with them. I wish them the best. They're success will only help the future of Nostalgia Super Stock.

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By topside

Well considering the gen 3 is in a 65 coronet with super stock interior a super stock Hemi scoop and the fact that 99% of people can't tell the difference I guess he figured it would be ok. People better wake up to the fact that the nostalgia thing is about played out and we better start making this stuff attractive to a younger crowd classic car prices are on the decline before you know it there won't be a nostalgia anything. I have raced the nostalgia classes for years in NMCA won a championship in nostalgia muscle car and raced NSS in multiple series. With the lack of aftermarket support on blocks for big blocks and gen 2 Hemi's I refuse to spend 20K+ for a 700-800HP wedge or Hemi when I can do a gen 3 for 10K.
Posted By: A/MP

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 03:12 AM

Atco has the same format. Also sponsored by Black Horse Auto body. I hope the guys that I raced with this past year from the Cecil area come back this year. MapQuest shows 1 1/2 drive time for me. Same as Atco and MG. Atco doesn't advertise it that well. Many racers that I spoke to at the track thought that the rules were very strict and their combos were not legal for the class. Clear rules about the type of cars that can compete will greatly help this class.

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 03:26 AM

These are the first NSS-type rules I've seen where my '73 Challenger should fit in. The others are so much more restrictive as far as years, etc., that it came across like you had to know the secret handshake to get through the gate.

I'm 58... my car's 45... the reality is that the window of opportunity to do this type of event is shrinking. Open up the rules or watch the participation drop every season.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 04:11 AM

Man, as long as there are no Mopars with LS engines, I'm happy!
Posted By: dvw

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 04:17 AM

I think we're talking 2 different deals here. N/SS and bracket racing with pre 1975 cars. There is a unified set of rules. Not everyone chooses to use them. N/SS has been around since the early 90's with very few rule changes. Yes there are restrictions. This is the same for any class. Some say update the rules. Sure it could be done. Look at Pro-Stock and NASCAR. I personally don't want to see N/SS go this route. Yes I chose to find a 50 year old car, repair rust, fabricate vintage appearing seats, spend $$$ to build a dinosaur motor, hone my skills on a foot brake, and learn to run index with no electronics. I have no problem seeing vintage drag racing. But trans brake 1975 Nova's, Fox body Mustangs, 1975 Newport's back halved running any size rear slick using trans brakes, swapping dial's every round isn't what this class is about. I hope this series does well. I just don't see it as N/SS. My 2 cents.
Doug
Posted By: KD800X

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 04:44 AM

Nostalgia is just that Nostalgia. What qualifies as Nostalgia will change and evolve with the times and Generations.
I'm 49 years old, I have been blessed to have taken over my fathers 65 Hemi Dodge. I hope I'm blessed enough to have a class to race it in for another 15 to 20 years. But as of right now, Gen III Hemi's and LS are not Nostalgia, even it it's in a 50 year old car.. .That would be Resto-Mod Super Stock.

But this is all a topic for another thread, and a something that should be discussed.

This isn't right that we hi jacked Dad's 426 Thread.

Good Luck to the United Nostalgia Super Stock Assoc. I hope to be able to run with you guys someday.
Posted By: jwb123

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 06:49 AM

whole idea of NSS racing was to preserve the cars that raced in the 60's the orginal intent was full sized cars, 2 four barrels, 10.5 tires, stock frame rails, foot brake, it is bracket racing in the fact that you pick an index, but you pick one for the event, and it is quarter or half seconds, no dials between rounds. I am sorry but gen III hemis, are not nostalgia super stock racing. Nothing against any car or anybody who races, but changing the NSS rules makes it just another bracket race, that no spectators come to watch.
Most of the guys who got together to start the NSS class, were tired of racing brackets with hundreds of cars. If you have raced with the orginal groups, smaller events, decent payouts, lots of close racing, and a better bunch of guys you could not ask for. Plus we eat and drink at a competitive level as well.
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 07:34 AM

I think we're talking 2 different deals here. N/SS and bracket racing with pre 1975 cars. There is a unified set of rules. Not everyone chooses to use them. N/SS has been around since the early 90's with very few rule changes. Yes there are restrictions. This is the same for any class. Some say update the rules. Sure it could be done. Look at Pro-Stock and NASCAR. I personally don't want to see N/SS go this route. Yes I chose to find a 50 year old car, repair rust, fabricate vintage appearing seats, spend $$$ to build a dinosaur motor, hone my skills on a foot brake, and learn to run index with no electronics. I have no problem seeing vintage drag racing. But trans brake 1975 Nova's, Fox body Mustangs, 1975 Newport's back halved running any size rear slick using trans brakes, swapping dial's every round isn't what this class is about. I hope this series does well. I just don't see it as N/SS. My 2 cents.
Doug

Nostalgia is just that Nostalgia. What qualifies as Nostalgia will change and evolve with the times and Generations.
I'm 49 years old, I have been blessed to have taken over my fathers 65 Hemi Dodge. I hope I'm blessed enough to have a class to race it in for another 15 to 20 years. But as of right now, Gen III Hemi's and LS are not Nostalgia, even it it's in a 50 year old car.. .That would be Resto-Mod Super Stock.

whole idea of NSS racing was to preserve the cars that raced in the 60's the orginal intent was full sized cars, 2 four barrels, 10.5 tires, stock frame rails, foot brake, it is bracket racing in the fact that you pick an index, but you pick one for the event, and it is quarter or half seconds, no dials between rounds. I am sorry but gen III hemis, are not nostalgia super stock racing. Nothing against any car or anybody who races, but changing the NSS rules makes it just another bracket race, that no spectators come to watch.
Most of the guys who got together to start the NSS class, were tired of racing brackets with hundreds of cars. If you have raced with the orginal groups, smaller events, decent payouts, lots of close racing, and a better bunch of guys you could not ask for. Plus we eat and drink at a competitive level as well

All of the above is correct for a TRUE NSS Class. The NMCA rules are probably the best out there to follow. All you have to do is look at what NSS means and that does not include all cars, makes, engine combinations or you do just turn it into a bracket race for any year car???
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 09:00 AM

hi
gen 3 powered fine if they are put in a modified production class !
Posted By: Tommy D

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 04:33 PM

No gen III Hemis in Nostalgia!! Think nostalgia is played out, look no further than the Southeast Gassers. They thrive because they keep it pure. Read their rules...talk about strict!!! Folks are lining up to get in to race and to spectate. Just my two cents, but allow too much that doesn't fit the "nostalgia" theme, and you end up with a good idea but little fan interest. I'm looking forward to running one of our dinosaurs in this event.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By B G Racing
The major problem with most all of the nostalgia ss/races is that there are too many different organizations with too many different rules.This limits the car count at any event and for these events to servive there has to be increased car counts.
My opinion is that if it looks period correct let it in after all its nothing more than a bracket race.The more cars the larger the events and more interest.If you insist that it be period correct then what is the definition of the period that you are trying to capture,1959/1965,1966/1975,then define it as such.In those periods we saw the changes from factory built cars with Atlas Plycron 7" tires to modified factory cars with 14" Goodyears and so on.So event promopters need to put aside all the BS and let anything that looks nostalgia compete.When two cars make a pass what does anyone know whats under the hood,2 fours,single 4 or TB injection and who cares.Seeing a 65 hemi or 63 409 Chevy or 427 Ford or any of the aforementioned brands with small blocks blast down the track is what your mind formulates as a nostalgia race.If it walks like a duck and looks like a duck then its a duck.That the duck had a good meal of grain or a hard snort of cocaine and puts on a exciting and graphic display of performance is what counts and the more ducks performing and the more people watching these displays of performances will help a dying sport possibably servive.

This is what my mind thinking too now. I agree.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By JACK1440
Dan did make the rule that the engine needs to match the make of the car (ford must be ford powered ect...) We'll be there hopefully for most of the races.

So, a Plymouth can’t have a Gen 3 hemi, since it’s a dodge engine?
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 07:26 PM

My personal opinion is that Gen111 engines have their place and are fantastic at dealing the cards, but they still have an advantage in carb form. NSS should be just that, NSS with the old iron being pushed to its best.

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 02/05/18 07:37 PM

I'm going to limit my last comment on this thread to wishing the new series the best, and hoping that I'll be able to participate in some of their events.
Posted By: NoFrills

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 03/26/18 02:17 AM

I am thinking about going to the 1st race next Saturday the 30th. Was wondering if anyone else is going.
Posted By: JACK1440

Re: United Nostalgia Stock Superstock - 03/26/18 06:12 PM

I'll be there with the Cuda. So far it's looking like rain
© 2024 Moparts Forums