Moparts

E-town is closing down to drag racing

Posted By: hemi_doug

E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 01:08 AM

That's right...they are shutting down both 1/8 and 1/4 mile tracks..Announcement on Monday. I don't have any more details than that...
Posted By: topside

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 01:49 AM

Bummer.
Guess that just leaves ATCO in that general area, but if memory serves, that's hardly next door...
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 01:55 AM

Have heard that every year for a lot of them. Hope it's not true. But it is New Jersey.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 02:10 AM

That rumor has been going on for 20+ years.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 03:38 AM

Down to ATCO and Island up north. Sucks...
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 04:01 AM

I really don't think its true as they have a NHRA National Meet scheduled for the first weekend in June and a NHRA Divisional meet scheduled for the middle of June. This rumor has been going on for years. But hey you never know things change, I really hope not I want to run 11.50 index points there again this year.

Attached picture IMG_1068.PNG
Posted By: Rob C

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 04:16 AM

I have been hearing that E-town has been shutting down for at least 30 years!
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 06:56 AM

Fake news,,,,,,LOL
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 07:40 AM

Originally Posted By hemi_doug
That's right...they are shutting down both 1/8 and 1/4 mile tracks..Announcement on Monday. I don't have any more details than that...

Was that on CNN, MSNBC or ABC? whistling stirthepot grin
AKA aside, many haters start crap like this hoping it will take off and shut the facility down runaway
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 04:56 PM

Hope it's not true....been going there since the early 70's and I grew up about 45 minutes away.

But ever since the 80's NYC Commuter Yuppie developments have been taking over the entire Old Bridge Township area. It used to be nothing but farmland down there when the track was built back in 66. I know the shut-down area Tee's right into an Upscale development, and the more High Powered yuppie whiners that move down there, the more "chin music" the city council has to listen to.

Etown is without doubt the most famous track on the East coast, more national records and amazing "under the lights" qualifying sessions have been held there than any other track I can think of. In the mid 90's there was an Epic weekend where the records in Pro stock, TF and Funny Car were set and reset with ech run!

I remember it was a cold day and then the clouds broke and an amaxing warm front came through which gave the race "mine shaft" air pressure for the night session. I remember the car that was like the #3 Pro Stock qualifier in the 3rd round was bumped out of the field to first Alternate by the time he staged in the final round. Most amazing drag racing weekend I can ever remember, Force and KC Spurlock were doing 3/4 track burnouts under the lights.....freaking amazing! Really glad I had my friends there to see it with me.

My fisrt drag race was when I was 9, in 1971, it was a funny Car shoot out, I spoke to Don Schumacher only a few years ago and I told him I saw him and I was disappointed because the beautiful Stardust Cuda Funny Car I expected to see was all Primered up, I guess he had a fire the week before. Anyway, Don told me he remembered that race (!!!) because he beat the "unbeatable" Gene Snow "Rambunctious" car in the final!

Hope the rumour is not true
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By Rob C
I have been hearing that E-town has been shutting down for at least 30 years!

Yep.

You would think they do an OK business but who knows. Either way, Raceway Park has been a NY area institution for 50 years, I think it would take a pretty big circumstance to shut it down.

Besides being a National Event track, they have the MX track that always seems to be busy, the road course, drifting events, 'Night 'O Thrills' every summer...

I would sure miss it though, spent a lot of time there over the years.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 06:05 PM

Island is my home track has been for over 30 yearsz, they closed briefly back in 2013 and it was heartbreaking luckily they reopened after a few months. I have competed at Raceway Park a lot over the years, running their points series in: Street Eliminator, Mean Street, and 11.50 index as well as almost every Mopar Atlantic Nationals. I have a lot of fond memories there including winning a track championship with my friend driving my Dart in11.50 index and the highlight of my racing career: because of our position in the index points we got to compete at the National meet in front of thousands of people. I am planning on running 11.50 index points there this season. This rumor has been going on for years. I heard it at a race at Atco late last year. I am hoping it's " fake news" I haven't heard anything in the local racing circles about it or other hardcore racing websites. I am waiting for them to release their 2018 schedule if they don't in a few weeks I will be concerned .

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge

AKA aside, many haters start crap like this hoping it will take off and shut the facility down runaway

Guess we will find out cab....I got it from a very good source. The lease has already been signed.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/13/18 11:45 PM

A lease?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/14/18 12:03 AM

Someone better notify the NHRA Stat....

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/14/18 12:07 AM

Closed to drag racing, for street racing
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/14/18 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By 11secdart
Island is my home track has been for over 30 yearsz, they closed briefly back in 2013 and it was heartbreaking luckily they reopened after a few months. I have competed at Raceway Park a lot over the years, running their points series in: Street Eliminator, Mean Street, and 11.50 index as well as almost every Mopar Atlantic Nationals. I have a lot of fond memories there including winning a track championship with my friend driving my Dart in11.50 index and the highlight of my racing career: because of our position in the index points we got to compete at the National meet in front of thousands of people. I am planning on running 11.50 index points there this season. This rumor has been going on for years. I heard it at a race at Atco late last year. I am hoping it's " fake news" I haven't heard anything in the local racing circles about it or other hardcore racing websites. I am waiting for them to release their 2018 schedule if they don't in a few weeks I will be concerned .

Did they ever fix those cracks at about 330 - 660 feet? Or lengthen the shutdown? I vaguely remember the shutdown area being pretty short leading into a big left hand turn, and only a pile of old railroad ties to stop you before going into that sod farm field. It's been years since I raced there - good times for sure. Used to tow there, run Saturday night, go home, catch 3 - 4 hours sleep then tow up to Lebanon Valley to run Sunday. To be 22 again.. whistling
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/14/18 06:10 AM

I too have heard that every year for well over 30 years. When we started going there it was out in the boonies, before the soundproof wall, and the Knapps were willing to go to the Supreme Court to keep it going. They spent a lot of time and money in court costs, but have prevailed.

Like I say, I've heard it every year for well over 30 years myself. But, the fight continues. One day it will happen.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/15/18 08:04 PM

It drives me INSANE that people will move into / build homes in areas near established race tracks, airports, etc., and then start to complain about the noise. Don't like the noise? Fu$&ing don't move there in the first place!!!

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/15/18 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By BradH
It drives me INSANE that people will move into / build homes in areas near established race tracks, airports, etc., and then start to complain about the noise. Don't like the noise? Fu$&ing don't move there in the first place!!!
iagree
I've seen that happen so many times in SO CA it was not funny, SNOW FLAKES runaway down
We had one idiot real estate agent buy a house less than a mile from our local airport directly under the final approach to the runway and then go to the city council and complain about the airport work shruggy
Maybe he needed something to make him feel important, he got shut down right away by one of the city employees who was a pilot also haha boogie up
Posted By: BigBlockGTS

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/15/18 09:39 PM

It really gets me going because these houses are usually cheaper due to... the increased noise. Buy a cheap house with some noise or spend more for quiet. Simple formula really.
Posted By: NoFrills

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/15/18 09:49 PM

The track is in Old Bridge on the border of the town most of the houses near by are in englishtown or freehold. Also the the track is on the border of the county and the houses are in a different one.
Posted By: parksr5

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/15/18 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By BigBlockGTS
It really gets me going because these houses are usually cheaper due to... the increased noise. Buy a cheap house with some noise or spend more for quiet. Simple formula really.

Or maybe some of these people have it figured out; buy a cheaper home due to the noise, complain and have the local track shut down and see your property values sore.
Posted By: BigBlockGTS

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/15/18 10:08 PM

Well- there is that formula too and it sure does seem to work.

Denver airport is 25 miles out of town in the middle of nowhere. They built some cheaper starter houses out there and within 5 years airport is changing its hours, etc. Unbelievable to me.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 02:42 AM

For what its worth…. I read on another website that demolition was supposed to begin today January 15th. I took a ride down to the track (its only about 20-25 minutes from my job) this evening to take a look. I didn`t see any construction equipment or anything tore down, now I could only see from a distance from the airport entrance gate and the main gate (was blocked off by the motocross track) it just looked closed for the winter. I had to see for myself off course that doesn`t mean much for all I know the might be off for the holiday. There are still many conflicting reports going around. Who knows what to believe? I did try to email a contact I know in the RP office but got no response then again the website says the offices are open 9 to 5 the offices looked dark and not open at 4:30 again they could be closed for the holiday

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 05:16 PM

A tad off topic but noise from an existing track was exactly why KCIR was closed from what I understand. To make a long story short a local descendant of a well to do local family purchased a house on a hill near the track. Through her political connections and repeated forced attempts to force the track to change what it did and how it was done she eventually go the only track in Kansas City shut down. It unfortunately happens all the time. IN this case it was ONE person who single handedly got a track shut down..

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 05:19 PM

Sometimes spreading these kinds of rumors can be a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts. Rumors start, people spread the rumor, others are to lazy to check the validity and assume its true, track looses business. Eventually it may be what kills the place

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 05:52 PM

From what I understand this is a money issue, not a noise issue. They have been losing money running the track. They have leased the land the drag strip in on and that will net them 6 figures... they don't have to carry the expense of track or the payroll....it's all about the $$$$$. I hope I'm wrong but I believe it is a done deal. I'm being told the lease is signed and they are waiting to start moving grand stands and demo work on the track.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 06:15 PM

The original owner Vinny passed away a few years ago. His kids have the place now. They have a track manager that is not a racer. The car counts are not always the best most weekends. But they are usually have drag, dirt bike, go cart, and road track going on at the same time so there is a lot combined. Some of the Friday night races that are more catered to imports get crazy turn outs. Homes in the area sell for 800+ and you can build a lot on the property so who knows.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 06:34 PM

FYI the track manager is a racer as is the RP office manager, her husband who is also a racer posted on Yellow Bullet on this subject. Long story short: one of the motocross tracks is being torn down , relocated and expanded, nothing is happening to the drag strip. They have events scheduled for the season already.. I would tend to think he " might know". I don't know how to post from one website to another or I would post his replies. Until I am convinced otherwise I m going to believe him.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By BradH

Yup, its a certain mentality these people all seem to share too. Lebanon is closer for me, but now just one less option if its true. The North East is running out of tracks. Most of us have to drive 2+ hours to get to one.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 07:12 PM

FYI the track manager is a racer as is the RP office manager, her husband who is also a racer posted on Yellow Bullet on this subject. Long story short: one of the motocross tracks is being torn down , relocated and expanded, nothing is happening to the drag strip. They have events scheduled for the season already.. I would tend to think he " might know". I don't know how to post from one website to another or I would post his replies. Until I am convinced otherwise I m going to believe him.

Hope you are right... luck

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 07:44 PM

Me too , I want to race 11.50 index there this year! Fingers and toes crossed!!!

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 07:52 PM

My daughter was very upset, as was I, when we first heard. She and I have a lot of friends who race there. hope it isn't as bad as it has been made out to be.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 08:27 PM

I don't see how the drag strip is the least profitable. When there is an event they still pack the stands. The vw and Honda days draw a huge crowd. I don't see crowds like that for any of the other types of racing.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 08:36 PM

When it rains it pours I guess. I do know the 1/8 mile track has seen fewer and fewer Jr Dragsters. When I started racing with my daughter 4 years ago there were twice as many people...now we are lucky if we don't start eliminations in the quarter finals. We run points at Numidia because there are 20 some odd races in the season...last year I think there were 7 at Etown...I wish it were better...

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 09:24 PM

Numidia huh..Then you must know the internet legend who calls it his home track smile His son ran jr points there as well. FWIW the DiMino's are a great family and I have always heard great things about their facility.

IMO rumors are never good for a track. People saying a place is closing or a program is going away year after year can result in having just that affect. I just watched it the last couple years with NMCA West. Rumors start it is going away so rather than asking people start looking for other venues and quit coming. Eventually it leads to it going away. They feel vindicated because they saw the writing on the wall but in the end they may very well have contributed to its demise....
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 09:36 PM

This here rumor could very well be ReAL FAkE nEWs in that it could theoretically be implanted by shadowy pushers to start the vicious cycle of non attendance.

If this would be the case, many surrounding counties and cities with their respective municipalities would have to cope with the eventual mass of Street racing by small tire, door cars. Though a slingshot did make a solo pass here at Connecting Highway back in the day.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Numidia huh..Then you must know the internet legend who calls it his home track smile His son ran jr points there as well. FWIW the DiMino's are a great family and I have always heard great things about their facility.

IMO rumors are never good for a track. People saying a place is closing or a program is going away year after year can result in having just that affect. I just watched it the last couple years with NMCA West. Rumors start it is going away so rather than asking people start looking for other venues and quit coming. Eventually it leads to it going away. They feel vindicated because they saw the writing on the wall but in the end they may very well have contributed to its demise....

LOL..I'm sure I do know them...just don't know who you are referring too...the Dimino's are very good to the people that race there...I can't think of a better track. Top notch in every respect.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 10:36 PM

I wont muddy up the internet with his name...His son is in a dragster now and he has an EX SS White late model Firebird

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/16/18 10:52 PM

Got 'ja...

As far as Numidia...they would have to drag me away kicking and screaming...But I hope I'm wrong about Etown...
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 01:00 AM

Never been there, is E-town on E-street? Is everything in NJ named E? Do you take the E train to E street to get to E-town?
Posted By: BradH

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By AndyF
Never been there, is E-town on E-street? Is everything in NJ named E? Do you take the E train to E street to get to E-town?

You don't get outta O-ree-gone much, do ya'? tonguue
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 02:32 AM

Nope. I'd like to travel more but the ankle bracelet doesn't allow it.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 02:40 AM

The value of the land that track sits on has to be astronomical. And fighting with the public and the township over noise all the time. And the taxes on the place in a craphole like Jersey. With the history of the place, I'd like to see it go on forever. I always liked going there. Lots of good memories. In a way, I'm surprised it's held on as long as it has.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 03:58 AM

They have been fighting this battle at Englishtown for decades. The Knapps would say they'd go to the Supreme Court to keep it. I don't know if the Knapps even own it anymore. They've been to court so many times it's not funny. One day, it's gonna be over.....

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 04:01 AM

Take the E-train to see the E street band and that guy called Bruce.
Posted By: theraif

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 06:13 AM

Bad News: Raceway Park Will Cease Drag Racing Operations – The End Of Englishtown Appears To Be Nigh
https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/bad-...ing-operations/

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 07:14 AM

Very hard for me to read.E/to became my home track when The Hamptons closed.It's about 80 miles one way for me.!.5 hrs if we leave by 5:30/6 am,,,,,3 to 4 hours to get back plus those expensive tolls,

Attached picture 81400001.jpg
Attached picture untitled.png

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 07:16 AM

there goes the towel.
Now is the real reason to open that Long Island drag strip and call it National Speedway II.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 07:20 AM

add another hour for Atco or the same going north for Island dragway or another hour on top of that for Cecil or Maple.
I think a lot of cats are just gonna take 2 minutes and go to the LIE.
Bummer.
Can't get a straight answer from politicians these days, but we sure got one from a loved track today.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 07:29 AM

It looks like it may be happening, but i’m not believing it until i see it. Not in denial, but there have been so many rumors over the years. Although this seems to be based on more solid facts. Very sad indeed if it does happen
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 07:44 AM

For the most part I think most of these tracks that going under are old. Built too close to a rapidly growing human population. The real estate, at some point, becomes so valuable to these owners that they would be absolutely STUPID not to sell it.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 10:09 AM

Looks like its true, sickening and disgusting the way it was done. all so they can let the space be a junkyard. Vinnie is rolling over in his grave. Bangshift said it best… a punch to the gut. Although Island is my home track and I am thankful its back in operation I really feel bad for the Etown regulars that have been racing there for years.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 01:37 PM

I don't see how the motorcross, drifting, or karting, can bring in the money that the drag racing does. Why not kill one of Those? It's also hard to believe that anyone would want to open a new junkyard with all the rules. Wouldn't something like that have to go through planning and approvals?
There was an article in the paper a month or so ago how the town approved construction of a new Hampton inn nearby, that would be able to support racers and spectators of raceway park, something the town has never been able to do in the past.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 02:26 PM

Junk yard?
Environmental and rubble issues? They seem to have $een the SSS and want to fold so that they can unfold their towels on a beach somewhere. I could be wrong, but this is disheartening. I guess they are entitled to their own comfort, but where does that leave so many loyalist.
LONG ISLAND NEEDS A DRAG STRIP!

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 03:03 PM

If anything, a storage area could have/should have been put right in front where the road course is. It's already fenced in, and I have hardly ever seen anyone or anything on that part of the grounds. It covers several acres at the least. Those few driveways on the left coming in look kinda like junkyards already...

You can understand the desire to take the money but it might have looked better if it was offered up for sale to someone who intended to keep it alive. Maybe there is a side of the story we don't know but it does not look like the racer's interest's were kept in mind.

I often said I would support the Mopar Atlantic Nationals there until I couldn't anymore, despite all the negativity around it and dwindling attendance. Looks like that's the case.

Feeling sick to my stomach about this, I know every inch of that place.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 03:48 PM

Well, I take no solace in being right about this...this is bad news all around. Very upsetting.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 04:42 PM

Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, Inc.
230 PENSION ROAD • ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. 07726 • Tel. 732-446-800
info@etownraceway.com
www.racewaypark.com

The Napp Family
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Old Bridge Township Raceway Park
January 17,2018
RACEWAY PARK ANNOUNCES RESTRUCTURING OF BUSINESS
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, the Napp family owned and operated business announced today a reorganization of the company’s business operations.

To achieve this goal, Raceway Park will no longer conduct quarter mile or eighth mile drag racing events effective immediately.

Raceway Park will retain and use the “stadium” portion of the facility including the VIP hospitality tower and grandstands and continue most of its operations including the spring and fall auto swap meets, numerous car shows, both motocross racing and practice, kart racing, as well as drifting, a full schedule of road course activities, mud runs, monster truck shows, musical concerts, & festival events and more. The long standing Old Bridge Township Airport, owned and operated by Raceway Park will also continue to operate as normal.

The new reorganization reflects the company’s plan moving forward beginning in 2018 while allowing Raceway Park to
still continue to operate as it has in the past with the exception of drag racing.

The Napp family wishes to express their most sincere gratitude to the NHRA, and the many thousands of racers and fans, without whom would have never allowed Raceway Park to become the iconic and nationally recognized drag racing facility it has over the past five decades.
The Napp family would also like to extend a heartfelt thank you to the employees that have served our drag racing customers so well over the previous years.

It is with a great sadness that the Napp family is discontinuing drag racing, however the family looks forward to continuing to provide the best outdoor events in this new era of Raceway Park.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 04:52 PM

It's a sad day...my daughter took her first steps on that drag strip during the fall car show in 2002. E-town has been a part of my life since I was old enough to drive. Attended the very first Mopar show, sold tons of parts at the various swap meets, and taught my daughter how to bracket race on the 1/8 mile...it's a damn shame.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
For the most part I think most of these tracks that going under are old. Built too close to a rapidly growing human population. The real estate, at some point, becomes so valuable to these owners that they would be absolutely STUPID not to sell it.

i have always been under the impression the build up around existing tracks is the root cause of tracks closing, even if those tracks are old. too many people encroaching on proven establishments with greed being their main concern in life, and to hell with the integrity of those that were there first !
beer

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 04:57 PM

I don't get it.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 05:21 PM

I've read that they signed a 15 year 75 million lease with copart auctions.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 05:26 PM

Money brother...it's all about the $$$$$$.
Posted By: moparts

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 05:43 PM

down

Attached picture Etown.jpg

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 05:54 PM

So cab...am I still a "hater"? just checking....If I didn't know I was right, I wouldn't have posted it...

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 06:05 PM

Of course it's about money. But why the drag strip only? Hard to imagine that little rinky-dink airport is more profitable than drag racing, especially having a National event every summer. Or the road course. I've never seen much of anything going on there. At least keep the National event and have some limited drag racing during the season?

Guess the economics are such that when you own that much land and can make zillions if you lease it out while at the same time ridding yourself of all the headaches associated with drag racing...

What would everyone here do when presented with this choice? Continue running a largely disliked drag strip in a crowded, politicized area or take $75 million a year for 15 years for doing nothing?

Just sucks that all of the people into this stuff around here are directly affected by this choice. Hope L.I. can get it done!

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 06:30 PM

Same here. It don't make sense to me to kill the drag racing and keep the other crap. I live close to etown and I see the cars going there for these big drag racing events.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 06:43 PM

I heard that the airport is on some kind of fema evacuation thing or something like that can't be shut down
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 06:45 PM

"We're going to do all goofy stupid crap except drag racing" - Makes sense since when someone says "Englishtown" you assume the drag strip.
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 06:53 PM

Let the street racing begin. STREET OUTLAWS CT,NY,NJ,PA,DE,MD. NOW WE WILL ALL HAVE A CHANCE AT FAME AND SOME FORTUNE! Street outlaws with Mopars, who can ask for more.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By A/MP
Let the street racing begin. STREET OUTLAWS CT,NY,NJ,PA,DE,MD. NOW WE WILL ALL HAVE A CHANCE AT FAME AND SOME FORTUNE! Street outlaws with Mopars, who can ask for more.

And knowing the State Police Gestapo here in NJ, lots of tickets too...
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 06:58 PM

Leah Pritchett did a hashtag today that said.... #DontMoveByaTrackIfYouDontLikeRaceCarNoises

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 07:04 PM

That's 5 mil a year. Were the tracks making that much after expenses, time, headaches, lawsuits, etc?

Sucks. Kick in the gut is right. I don't know whether to be grateful they kept it going all these years or pissed that the drag racing is the only thing they ditched. Probably a lot we don't know. Noise restrictions coming and they decided to take the money now? The track is short; insurance balking at covering fuel cars at the national event? New Jersey is a strange place. They don't operate like everyone else.

Who would drive to a track on Long Island other than people who live there?

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
The track is short; insurance balking at covering fuel cars at the national event?

Kalitta's crash and passing was probably a factor.

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
Who would drive to a track on Long Island other than people who live there?

It's a good question.

I used to live on L.I. but now I live in Southern CT. The Island is physically 5 miles south but it takes well over an hour to get down there since we have to drive around the water. Having a track way out east would be like 2 1/2-3 hours one way for me. Taking a ferry across the sound takes just as long (if not longer) and is ridiculously expensive, especially if you have a trailer.

All the people in Jersey, PA and even upstate NY would have to get through the city which is an absolute nightmare, trailer or not. Then depending on the time of day, 3 more hours out to the track? Forget it.

On a good day, it would take me 1hr 45 minutes from my house in Huntington to ETown. Atco is like 3 hours. Lebanon Valley isn't too bad, it's 2 1/2-3 hours. Island is pretty far for me now, probably 3 hours. Either way, I'll go to these places until I can't anymore. Atco and the Valley are fun tracks.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 07:59 PM

IMHO in order to replace a facility like that you would have to go to Pocono Motor Speedway. Straight out 80 about 40 miles past the water gap. No way either ATCO or Island could support the nitro cars.
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 08:15 PM

Its sad to see. I remember going there in the mid 90's to watch the big boys. It was the 1st track I went to that had that much of the pits paved and what not. I do find it fishy they are only closing the drag racing part, but keeping the rest of the stuff open...makes you wonder what the back story relly is...(drag races wasn't worth all the headaches and such for the profit, or is there something of $$ that help the closing?)

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 08:19 PM

It's very simple...5 million a year on the lease and no overhead or staff needed to collect...Occam's razor my friend.

I'll never forget the look on my kids face when we went to see the Top Fuel cars run. She was about 5 or 6 and my friend had a booth above the track. When the Dragsters lined up I told her to put her hand on the glass. When the tree came down and they took off her eyes were as big as saucers.

Lots of good times there.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 08:24 PM

So cab...am I still a "hater"? just checking....If I didn't know I was right, I wouldn't have posted it...

You had the straight scoop and I was hoping you weren't correct whiney bow up
Another one bites the dust, I HATE IT runaway shruggy
Being a pilot and a former airplane owner and drag racer I get hit both ways, small private airports and drag strips closing up nation wide whiney
Maybe I should buy a smart phone and learn how to entertain myself that way on that deal, NOT down whistling
Posted By: Racer68

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 08:55 PM

In my area there was an indoor/outdoor shooting range. A developer put in a bunch of houses then these new buyers tried to close down the range. The range spent a ton of money on legal fees to avoid a shutdown , but they managed to put time restraints on outdoor shooting

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 08:58 PM

Simple, developers were probably in those meetings via through the counties representation and most probably, the number one PITA was the Drag cars.
So here, stop the noise effective immediately and take 75 mill for 15 years, so that our guests next door who invested in the new plots of land, not to mention contributing a wealthy tax base will sleep at night and day, even if it's not late at night.

They should have taken a hint from street outlaws and donated a street somewhere that could be shut down and have the run offs along with not having a Christmas tree crew. LOL. Are we all happy?

Cars will always make their way to places and circumstances just like water. We will either see a large sell off of cars in the general vicinity or a lot of gung-ho property owners going South closer to other tracks or a lot of slow street cruising at least, in general vicinities.

They at least, should have had a proper burial to such a legacy and invited any and everyone for one last hurrah this Summer. I mean, didn't National Speedway and Hamptons raceway do that?
Heart breaking.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
Heart breaking.

Sign o' the times, Brudda...

(One of the reasons I drove in the PT out to Route 66 Raceway in the past...

Not too often yer gonna have the opportunity to see what was then a NEW drag strip...
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 09:14 PM

From the last night of racing.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Nukechargerboy

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 09:28 PM

This is NIMBY, nothing else. I told my son 5 years ago when we were leaving the Summernationals that one day this place will be gone. I explained to him all the big houses that people are buying down here will get the town to squeeze the owners to close. I agree with Leah, if you don't like the noise, don't buy the house.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 09:41 PM

Simple, developers were probably greasing palms in those meetings via through the counties representation and most probably, the number one PITA was the Drag cars.

It's New Jersey.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 09:49 PM

Lets shut down all the airports in the country because people live near them or in the direct flight path of landing/takeoffs LOL.

Detroit now without a city drag strip for some time has hosted some really amazingly successful annual drag events at city airport and Roadkill Woodward.
An hour or so out of the city limits sits Milan drag way in the farm lands.

By way of outlaws, it shows that door car grudge racing is large in revenue and attendance.

Here in New York city, we stand to get hit the hardest being that we have nothing shorter than 3 hours away. lebby is above sea level and far North. Atco is at sea level far down South.

Floyd Bennet field is at sea level and close to the sea itself. go SEA it for yourselves and write a letter or two to your city council people. I know I will.

I stopped going to E-town a while back because of some issues that fell on plugged ears, but I feel for the loyal ones that kept their lights on, including the Christmas trees.

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 09:51 PM

Didn't Paulie and Christopher get lost in New Jersey? LOL.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 09:51 PM

Doesn't seem like it was noise related though that probably factored into the decision. Putting up with all the headaches of owning a drag strip in the middle of NJ for however many years probably didn't seem worthwhile when they had all that money waved in front of them. You have to think they would have thrown in the towel years ago if it was just the complaints.

Apparently this Copart company made them an offer they couldn't refuse. You can read into that whatever you want but clearly the decision was about money.

From what I read elsewhere, I was totally wrong about the road course because it is in fact a money maker for them. Kids are into the drifting thing nowadays. It might be hard to swallow but it sure seems like no one outside our sphere of enthusiasts really cares about or even likes drag racing anymore. NHRA isn't even bothering to fill the hole on their schedule.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 09:59 PM

NHRA has become just like NASCAR..a business unto itself...The sport of drag racing is going back to it's roots..just look at the success of Street Outlaws. You don't find payouts like that at an NHRA event or points racing...Heck, even big money races in Jr Dragsters are put on by private, non-NHRA sponsors..

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 10:09 PM

You know what they say about squirrelly roundy round racers, they go around in circles looking for the finish line and we go straight to it. LOL.

Lets face it, a lot of Drag racing has become just that, a Drag. Too expensive to build, race and too much waiting at the staging lanes or for parts. Speed shops are all but gone at this point from these parts at least. S&K being the exception.
Don't get me wrong, everyone's trophy is well deserved, (I have some here) and a pride of the moment, but it gets old when you are spending lots of $$$ to get in line at some half fast events. It seems to have lost some steam as the sport of the times.

Speaking of fast with another meaning, I wish I could see the F.A.S.T guys in a outlaw show on the street, now that would be bad a$$.
Detroit has done something similar.
I don't know guys, I feel for most if not the whole gang.
See y'all on the streets, behaving that is.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 10:19 PM

I think we are going to see a lot of changes for this sport in the future..some good...some, like this thread, not so good. But I don't think it is going anywhere soon. It, like everything else, is going to follow the money...
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF

Don't forget that E Street band that's recorded a record or two...
Posted By: ProSport

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By RMCHRGR
Doesn't seem like it was noise related though that probably factored into the decision. Putting up with all the headaches of owning a drag strip in the middle of NJ for however many years probably didn't seem worthwhile when they had all that money waved in front of them. You have to think they would have thrown in the towel years ago if it was just the complaints.

Apparently this Copart company made them an offer they couldn't refuse. You can read into that whatever you want but clearly the decision was about money.

From what I read elsewhere, I was totally wrong about the road course because it is in fact a money maker for them. Kids are into the drifting thing nowadays. It might be hard to swallow but it sure seems like no one outside our sphere of enthusiasts really cares about or even likes drag racing anymore. NHRA isn't even bothering to fill the hole on their schedule.

Oh I'm sure money is a huge part of the deal for sure. I posted Leah's quote today because she may have heard a rumor about part of the problem. Who knows.

Drag racing is huge here in Ohio, tracks everywhere and it seems like everyone is building cars. Hopefully this whole deal will spark interest for someone to build a new track near E-town.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By ProSport

Oh I'm sure money is a huge part of the deal for sure. I posted Leah's quote today because she may have heard a rumor about part of the problem. Who knows.

Drag racing is huge here in Ohio, tracks everywhere and it seems like everyone is building cars. Hopefully this whole deal will spark interest for someone to build a new track near E-town.

Not likely as the permits and legal fees (there would be lawsuits) would cost at least as much as the track. If, and it's a big IF you can even get the permits.

Most counties have a 5 year, 10 year and 20 year plan. While the track may be out in the sticks now, in 20 years their will be houses right up against it.

Houses are a much more profitable tax base.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By madscientist
Houses are a much more profitable tax base.

Motor City, and Detroit Dragway are(were)proof in the pudding here...

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By ProSport
Hopefully this whole deal will spark interest for someone to build a new track near E-town.

Yeah, not happening. Land is worth way too much around here.

If by some miracle some town around here decided they wanted a drag strip in their town, they would be hard-pressed to find someone willing to do it. No one is building anything within 100 miles of NYC that takes up that much space, causes that much noise, is astronomically expensive to run and insure, only serves a small and graying population of enthusiasts doing something no one really cares for and basically has a 7 month window of operation. Having the money is not even half the battle.

That's what makes this so hard to swallow is that some car salvage company made them an offer to take drag racing out of the equation for them and they took it. Was there pressure from homeowners and politicians to do the same thing? Probably but again, they stuck it out for so long in the face of all that, why give up now and why just drag racing?

Incidentally, cars were stored there after Sandy so it's not something totally new. It's close enough to the city and near enough major highways to be able to get cars in and out quickly. Makes sense for Copart!
Posted By: moetown

Re: Grapevine news that E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/17/18 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Numidia huh..Then you must know the internet legend who calls it his home track smile His son ran jr points there as well.

Hint: A 60's TV show with a horse. Horse had same name. The horse also has the same number of wins in a drag car. The legend acts like the back end of a horse...

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 12:18 AM

In a nut shell, what RMCHGR just explained and laid out is the nail in the coffin and totally correct. There's no more dog in this fight of reasons. Hang your helmets guys.
R-aceway. I-n. P-ieces.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 12:31 AM

The town plan makes sense. Although I would think the junkyard is going to have some environmental clean up issues when that's done. I wonder what it would do for zoning.
This just isn't the way I thought it would go out. I thought they would have jammed as many homes in there as they could, or an Amazon warehouse or something like that, that would bring something to the town. Weather it be homes, jobs, whatever. It's just crazy that's it's for a junkyard. I'm also really surprised a town would welcome a junkyard.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 01:51 AM

Probably a 15 year contingency for 75M and then the yard has to leave and they'll (RP)open it back up with enough capital to modernize and upkeep. Wishful thinking LOL
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 02:21 AM

So sad to see..... I thought Speedworld in NW Phoenix would survive. Drag strip, moto x, rc plane field, 3/8 dirt track. Was a multiuse facility and gone just like that.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 06:43 AM

J, was the track plowed under and the stands and building removed ?
I remember the first race I race thier back in the 1970s, water starting coming up through the asphalt at the starting line, something about a "natural" spring or some other story confused It was good except for that one time up
Any more noise about building new a drag strip in Lake Havasu City or was that a bunch nothing burger ?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 03:14 PM

track is still there cab. they put jersey barriers across it so nobody can sneak in and play. All grown over. Never saw/heard any water issues. I remember back in the day a lot of fuel teams would test there and run between the Pomona and Phoenix event... it was that nice of track.

Havasu deal and the track at Banning seem to have a lot in common on the story line. Big mouths, and empty pockets. Havasu would have been a great place. Lots of old gear heads in that town and the performance industry is alive and well in the marine sector.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 05:20 PM

We are the closest to finding a patch of dirt to build a track on long island,it's been 15 years!

Attached picture IMG_2481.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2565.JPG

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 05:59 PM

Built it and they will come. There's enough of a performance community on Long Island alone that could sustain the track with good programs factored in. All of NYC would come to play.
Some politicians in office right now are gear heads and may help, not to mention Suffolk and Nassau counties finest.
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 06:26 PM

It's official and officially Sad... Been going there for 30 years. Hopefully Ralph can find another place to Host a Mopar event or talk with Maplegrove and try and get the E-town crowd to attend as that show is non existent. Or try to get a show at Atco. One less Mopar show/Race is never a good thing let alone ALL the racers that went there weekly.. I wonder where the NHRA event will be and maybe E-town should change their information they have posted about it...

http://www.etownraceway.com/schedule/nhra_supernationals_schedule.aspx

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 06:26 PM

We need some sort of lobby to represent us in the area. Cuomo, like him or not is a car guy. Perhaps he would be sympathetic to our cause if there were enough people and businesses behind it. The L.I. guys seem to be doing pretty well. Perhaps some of the Jersey guys closer to the city will get behind it now. 3 hours or not, I'd be there.

The idea of building a drag strip anywhere within 100 miles of NYC is pretty far fetched for the reasons I stated before but you never know until you try. Just not realistic to think it would happen in this day and age.

I can't really think of any one particular area or place that would work besides out east on the Island. Floyd Bennett Field would be awesome but I can't imagine the city saying OK to that. Plus it's kind of hard to get there from outlying areas.

ETown is in a pretty convenient spot off the turnpike. Easily reached from points west, north and south since you don't have to navigate through the city.

Losing ETown makes the NY area similar to LA now which is essentially the birthplace of hot rodding - except Irwindale, there are no 1/4 mile drag strips within 2-3 hours of Los Angeles, correct? Pomona has Nationals twice a year, right? Bakersfield is a ways away, at least a few hours. Banning is gone? Las Vegas is at least 3 hours. Barona is the only one left I think.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By QuickBpBp
It's official and officially Sad... Been going there for 30 years. Hopefully Ralph can find another place to Host a Mopar event or talk with Maplegrove and try and get the E-town crowd to attend as that show is non existent. Or try to get a show at Atco. One less Mopar show/Race is never a good thing let alone ALL the racers that went there weekly.. I wonder where the NHRA event will be and maybe E-town should change their information they have posted about it...

They still have the swap meet and car shows, just no drag racing.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 06:35 PM

NHRA already has it on their website about losing its race there and said other tracks have stepped in to try to fill the date. NHRA said it may not have time to switch it for the 2018 race season but may look into all options
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff

They still have the swap meet and car shows, just no drag racing.

Sorry to say the swap meet/car show will not keep Mopars @ E-town show alive unless you consider the show just being on life support....
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 07:36 PM

as i read on nhra they are just having one less race in 2018

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 08:37 PM

Losing ETown makes the NY area similar to LA now which is essentially the birthplace of hot rodding - except Irwindale, there are no 1/4 mile drag strips within 2-3 hours of Los Angeles, correct? Pomona has Nationals twice a year, right?

Fontana drag strip is a 1/4 mile, Irwindale is a 1/8 mile, less than 30 miles apart shruggy
I can remember when SO CA had 10 + 1/4 mile tracks whiney

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 08:50 PM

[quote=RMCHRGR]Fontana drag strip is a 1/4 mile, Irwindale is a 1/8 mile, less than 30 miles apart shruggy
I can remember when SO CA had 10 + 1/4 mile tracks whiney

I'm from NY so I don't know all the details of each facility but you get my point. I knew Irwindale was 1/8 mile though, so is Barona.

But like you said, in the 'birthplace of hot rodding' there were at least 10 drag strips, now down to two.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 09:28 PM

......and in the birth place of big stakes racing capital of the world, New York has none and perhaps for good reason.
I'm sure all of this threw NHRA into a whirlpool of scheduling messes. Imagine how many bookings now have to wait till the race gets hosted somewhere else. Weird.
Posted By: theraif

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 10:01 PM

read on another site it seems every thing but drag racing is a go for 2018

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By theraif

That's correct...everything but the 1/4 mile and 1/8 mile tracks are still open. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound....

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/18/18 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By theraif

Not sure many here would care if they shut down the motocross or drifting track. Just sayin.

In any event, was just thinking about this a little more. Most of the drag strips we all know and love were built WAY back when, like late '50s-'60s. At that point, they were generally put in a spot that was undeveloped, like Old Bridge Twp. The sport was still growing and people in this country loved cars.

Decades go by, land becomes more scarce and the areas around the track start getting developed. These places that were once out in the middle of nowhere now have people building homes and such nearby. Stupid of them? Maybe but whether by choice or not that's what happened. They can coexist with a track for a while but at some point the need for more development trumps the idea of guys running loud cars down a track. This puts pressure on the track owner or whoever owns the land to sell it. Same thing with farms etc.

You see it everywhere, it's not just drag strips being swallowed up. My wife is from Western Pa, we go out there a few times a year to visit. Over the last few years, the development has gotten out of control. There are mega malls and McMansion developments EVERYWHERE. All these places used to be open farm land. The farmer dies, the land is sold for big money and developers swoop in. There's no open space left anywhere in this country, just false luxury and chain restaurants. Sprawl is the enemy here. And developers. Can't blame people for wanting to make a few bucks.

People seem to hate cars now too which doesn't help.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 12:27 AM

Maybe they will schedule some of those drunken burn out contest, wet tee shirt contests, and getto blaster sound-offs. I’m in.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 01:58 AM

I would like to see a boycott of all the remaining events they hope to hold. Thats all i can say right now I am absolutely livid over this. Thank Goodness for Island !!!

Attached picture IMG_1068.PNG

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 02:28 AM

I would like to see a boycott of all the remaining events they hope to hold. Thats all i can say right now I am absolutely livid over this. Thank Goodness for Island !!!

I'm torn on never giving them another dime, or going to the swamp meet, just to see what they have turned one of the premier tracks on the east coast into. Altho, i'll probably start to cry if i do.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 03:33 AM

As far as I'm concerned, the way they made their exit tells me to make a similar exit and never give 'em a dime or anything else for that matter.
Not good PR on their side.

Over.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 05:13 AM

Something must have changed in the law for the new year? All public info if anyone cares to look. Sorry to hear this as I've always wanted to go there. Maybe there is a new and better facility on the horizon?

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 05:17 AM

I’m kinda shocked they didn’t have a signed contract with NHRA for at least the 2018 National event.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 05:26 AM

NHRA.com news says they "hope fans will get to another venue" and that they are "talking with other tracks" about a possible 2018-19 event.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
I’m kinda shocked they didn’t have a signed contract with NHRA for at least the 2018 National event.

They had a contract through 2020, from what I understand.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
Something must have changed in the law for the new year? All public info if anyone cares to look. Sorry to hear this as I've always wanted to go there. Maybe there is a new and better facility on the horizon?

No...this has been in the works since hurricane Sandy. They made a lot of money storing damaged cars. The deal that they took is 75 million over 15 year lease on the land for auto storage...they have been pecking at this for a while now.

There is NO excuse, other then greed, to keep these plans in the closet until last minute...they took a big DUMP on everybody who was a customer of their drag racing venue...no question about it. We had heard rumors of this for over a year. The only reason I knew about it is because I'm good friends with one of the contractors hired to do the work...no, they kept this all quite for a long time. They were taking quotes for the work over a year ago.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 04:11 PM

I would think that a breach of contract with NHRA operations having to relocate in the ninth inning before the start of the season is reason for legal battles on the horizon.
Unless.........a kickback was agreed on to throw a bone to NHRA's dwindling piggy bank for the sudden exit stage LEFT.

Perhaps this is the deal,
*NHRA suffering on behalf of their own accord, (playoff system, etc): STOP.
*Drag racing in itself spiritually and openly suffering on behalf of not only budget constraints and boring classes (No-stock, Bunny car, so and so on) but also the national mood of the moment: STOP.
* As a result, Raceway Park is suffering in attendance and insurance woes: STOP.
* They (us) will just get over it and find a way to go to the other tracks (Atco-Island-Lebanon) or the street: STOP.

Personally, RP had a great atmosphere and good connections to major highways, not to say relatively how close it was for us folk here in the Zoo, They also had a great track and history.
So here we find ourselves in the new world odor.
It may be a little farther, but I'd go to Atco (better traction and at sea level as well) or Island and just factor in the time of travel as the troubles of racing these days. At least Atco and Island will see a surge in their attendance books.

To each its own, I'm just vexed on how RP made their exit and abandoned ship for what ever the reason may have been. We the passengers were left to DRIFT or let this DRAG us down to the depths of abandonment of the sport/hobby/way of life for ourselves.
But we are bigger than that. Start your engines.
Posted By: moparx

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 04:52 PM

Maybe they will schedule some of those drunken burn out contest, wet tee shirt contests, and getto blaster sound-offs. I’m in.

john, if you promise to enter, i'll set up a wet t-shirt contest at NU-BE........ biggrin
beer
Posted By: Harley

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 05:01 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the way they made their exit tells me to make a similar exit and never give 'em a dime or anything else for that matter.
Not good PR on their side.

Over.

I agree 1000%

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By moparx

john, if you promise to enter, i'll set up a wet t-shirt contest at NU-BE........ biggrin
beer

Trust me. You wouldn’t want to see that. Lol
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 05:11 PM

I think the way they went about it maybe more of a shock/disappointment than anything. I get the "easy" money with less headache crap. But to just pull the plug like that on ONLY the drag racing portion to me just shows they could care less about the ones who support them in the aspect. Its ashame since their dad is the one who helped start the JR dragster program to get young ones involved in the sport and help it grow.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 06:35 PM

I don't know them personally but you have to think the Napp kids are hardcore drag racers. They grew up at the premier track in the Northeast seeing all the greats. They often made appearances in the announcer's booth during events to talk racing. They probably know everyone in the business from the pros to the little guys that came every week. Hard to imagine otherwise but who knows.

That's what makes this so perplexing and sad.
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 06:43 PM

On the one hand it's their property and NO ONE should tell them what to do with it. On the other hand it's my money and I WON'T spend another dime there. If there's a change and they decide to support my chosen hobby again, I will support them. I feel for everyone who works real hard at scheduling races. I wish they would have been more open. Ralph has Supercars there for four races. Now he's scrambling.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 06:56 PM

I don't know them personally but you have to think the Napp kids are hardcore drag racers. They grew up at the premier track in the Northeast seeing all the greats. They often made appearances in the announcer's booth during events to talk racing. They probably know everyone in the business from the pros to the little guys that came every week. Hard to imagine otherwise but who knows.

That's what makes this so perplexing and sad.

Their Father was the hard core one.The "kids" were handed the biz.There are too many hands in the golden pot and a big influx of $$$$$ was needed to keep the ball rolling.We lose,,,,they make MORE money. frown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxZO-OuEJkA&feature=em-share_video_user

Attached picture 81400001.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0268.JPG

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/19/18 07:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxZO-OuEJkA&feature=em-share_video_user

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/20/18 12:25 AM

I'm on the fence also. Part of me is like F them. Go over there and protest when they have events. But then it's like well, why ruin some other gearheads fun. Let them enjoy it till they kill that too.

last time I ran my dart there staging guy banged on my window opened the door, told me
Don't go in the 11s again, with no roll bar or you're outta here. Being a wise guy kid I said screw it it's the end of the year. I let it rip. They wouldn't give me my timeslip. Told me go to the tower to get it, if I don't I'm banned. I thought oh crap... I went in and one of the napp kids was sitting there. I told him who I was, he goes yell yell yell scream scream scream. Seriously though, were watched by the state police if I don't yell at you we're gonna get in trouble. Try not to do it again, but go have fun. I though ahh that was cool. Life happened and I parked
The car for a long nap. It sucks because we're like 20 min from there. I loved the place. ive been trying to get the car going again this year, for "nofrills" vs jamesdart race, and honestly have no desire to drive to atco or island. I don't have a trailer and don't want one. Hopefully I'll Get over it and take the ride.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/20/18 03:53 PM

I feel for the people who are losing this track.
I haven't raced in decades. If someone asked me to name an east cost drag strip e-town would be my first response.

Last time I was at Great Lakes was maybe 8 years ago.
I went because the chi-town hustler was there.
Im hopeful the track stays open due to its remote location (see pic)
It's pretty remote. Been this way for as long as I can remember.
But I need to support the track more so I hope to make it to a few shows even though the car isn't running

Attached picture IMG_5179.PNG
Posted By: Scully

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/21/18 06:11 AM

Me at the E Town Summer Nats 95 or 6.

Attached picture SF1a.JPG

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/21/18 06:51 AM

The more I think about this...E-town should have announced "The Last Drag Race". They would have made some extra bucks for sure...Whatever is motivating them is giving them more. A lot more...

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/21/18 07:29 AM

My friends own the last 2 ET slips to come out of E/towns computer. So they make more money doing this and I spend more,,,sound about right!

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/21/18 09:21 AM

Long but good story... CompetitionPlus

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/21/18 04:13 PM

Yeah a last bash weekend would have been kind of cool. Car show drag race...
I think they did it this way so there was no opposition. It's said and done, no turning back.

I sat in the tower at the night of thrills with my kids cubscout troop. I was talking to the guy frank that's on the scooter in the first picture, he was there with his Scout troop also and we thought we knew each other. We were about the same age and had the same story how we were going there since we were little kids, he obviously presued drag racing more than me but we sat there and bs'd I guess we'd just seen each other at the track for years.

Re: E-town is closing down to drag racing - 01/21/18 04:25 PM

Very good story as is the one over on Classracer.com by CMcallister, I respect their opinions to a point but I feel they are leaving the Napps off too easy. If they could`t handle the operations of the track it should have been sold or look for other management. I for one hope they continue to be bashed to the point that one day they realize " man we made the wrong decision" but as Cyndi Lauper says " money changes everything". At the very least they should have held one final farewell race but then again they would have to face all the hurt and disappointed fans and racers, easier to write a faceless letter and sit home and watch your bank account grow. To quote the manager of Island Dragway" we welcome all Raceway Park racers and sponsors with open arms" And yes they have a Mopar meet called " Mopars at the Patch" usually held in June its not even a quarter the size of what Mopars at Etown was but now maybe it will grow and be better attended. Our drivers meeting is in two weeks when I get the 2018 schedule i will post the dates for the Mopar meet.
© 2024 Moparts Forums