Moparts

Magnum SB Intake Selection

Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/07/18 08:35 PM

Also working on my 68 Cuda SB car and need to freshen engine and perhaps update before I go racing this year. I don't see many intake choices for the Magnum intakes, as I have a set of Shady Dell Edelbrock Magnum heads and an M1 single plane intake. I'm thinking a Super Victor may be better after I freshen up my 408, going to a 2.08 intake valve and better lifters, and more compression.

Thanks,
Darren
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/07/18 08:43 PM

Are your Magnum heads drilled for LA intakes?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/07/18 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By ChrgrCuda
Also working on my 68 Cuda SB car and need to freshen engine and perhaps update before I go racing this year. I don't see many intake choices for the Magnum intakes, as I have a set of Shady Dell Edelbrock Magnum heads and an M1 single plane intake. I'm thinking a Super Victor may be better after I freshen up my 408, going to a 2.08 intake valve and better lifters, and more compression.

Thanks,
Darren

I hope you don't plan on running the Super Victor out of the box as its a piece of TRASH that will work, but not without a lot of work. Way better choices out there.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/08/18 07:58 PM

The best thing to do is drill and tap the head for LA intakes, then there is tons o choices

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/09/18 03:25 AM

Didn't think about that guys, thank you!
What suggestions do you guys have for a single plane high rise intake?

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/09/18 03:31 AM

A gasket matched Victor340 works great. A little plenum blending and it works ev n better. I redrilled an Indy intake for my Edelbrock heads and ported it but I didn’t get to try it yet. It looks like a really great piece.

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/09/18 03:34 AM

I better add that mine were all the older LA blocks and not the magnum so that may make me info worthless

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/09/18 03:37 AM

Thanks Pittsburghracer. I'll look into that then, I just got my 337 intake back from Larry Smith at FlowTech2 and his work looks very nice. So I may try to find one and send the heads and intake to him.
Posted By: skrews

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/09/18 03:38 AM

Doesn't Indy make a single plane intake for the Magnum head ?

Indy 360-3M I think

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/09/18 03:41 AM

I'm wondering if my Mopar M1 can be massaged for improvement. Right now it just has a gasket match.

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/09/18 04:17 AM

Champion heads can make a carbed m1 intake decent, I have a indy 360 intake for Magnum heads, my head porter was shocked to see how bad the plenum is...going to take a lot of work.
Magnum guys get no love.
Drill your heads for LA intakes.

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/09/18 04:19 AM

I think I will just call Brian at IMM. Thanks!

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/09/18 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By ChrgrCuda
I think I will just call Brian at IMM. Thanks!

Ryan at shadydale drilled an Indy intake for a Friend of mine and then I ported it. I liked it so
Much I bought the one I have and redrilled the bolt pattern, ported it, and put it on the shelf. My brain goes wacky sometimes. Lol
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/09/18 06:13 AM

Originally Posted By skrews
Doesn't Indy make a single plane intake for the Magnum head ?

Indy 360-3M I think

Yes they do. I bought one for my 360 magnum I am putting in my dart sport

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/09/18 06:51 AM

It out flows all the other Magnum intakes, but it needs a lot of work by someone with a flow bench to equalize that flow. I'm excited to get mine back....Indy has em in stock, 399.00
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/09/18 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By Adobedude
It out flows all the other Magnum intakes, but it needs a lot of work by someone with a flow bench to equalize that flow. I'm excited to get mine back....Indy has em in stock, 399.00

I didn’t know that so thanks for the info. I was trying to buy the mopar M1 but damn they want a lot for them. Every one I saw new was going for $600 or more. I lucked out and found a guy selling the Indy one and got it for $300 shipped.
Posted By: Rob C

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/10/18 08:29 AM

Screwz. Yes! Awesome intake. Better when worked on.

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/10/18 08:32 AM

ChrgrCud

Yes but it is a crap ton of work. The Spreadbore designed pad for the TQ isn’t really all that great. If you wanted to run a TQ on a double duty Saturday night special, well, fine. But that’s it. It can be made to perform and perform well.

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/10/18 08:38 AM

Redrllling the Magnum head?

That’s the best move to make with Magnum heads for a serious approach to power. The Magnum headed engine has only a few intakes to choose from, the mod is worthwhile in most cases.

M1 single and dual plane
Edelbrock RPM (excellent for most cases)
Indy single plane intake and maybe a mod man?

Ether way, your going to need plenty of engine to use a single plane. The RPM is very capable street, street strip intake.

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/10/18 08:44 AM

Thanks Rob C. I remember speaking with Brian Halfinger and he said he could massage my M1 single plane. He also mentioned I could benefit from a better lifter than the stock Magnum crate motor roller lifters I have now. It will be nice to just improve upon the intake I currently have.

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/10/18 09:17 AM

What is his modification cost?
The stock lifted is heavy. A lighter one would be good. At the moment, I don’t know what is available for a high performance replacement lifter.

Re: Magnum SB Intake Selection - 01/10/18 03:33 PM

BAM solid roller lifters.
Drop right in.
© 2024 Moparts Forums