Moparts

Single Serpentine Belt

Posted By: srunge55

Single Serpentine Belt - 01/03/18 02:52 AM

Do you think this would work? On a big block I was thinking of a single triangulated serpentine belt to run my alternator, power steering pump and crank. I will have an electric water pump so no pulley to run. If I can modify the power steering brackets to line the pump up with the crank and alternator pulleys I think it might work. I would use the stock tensioning method on the alternator (or turnbuckle style). Has anyone done this or am I crazy?

Thanks,

Steve
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Single Serpentine Belt - 01/03/18 03:32 AM

serp belts need a good amount of wrap. I would guess that it would work. Only one way to find out!
You could always add idlers if it doesn't work.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Single Serpentine Belt - 01/03/18 06:15 AM

I used the water pump and crank pulleys from March. The power steering pulley from a 90's Chevy 350 pick up. Alternator pulley from a 90's Ford V6. I used stock unmodified alternator and PS pump brackets and everything lined up ok. Just made brackets for the idlers, simple and works good.

Attached picture 004.JPG

Re: Single Serpentine Belt - 01/03/18 07:57 AM

Nicely done, that's given me some ideas. Thanks

Re: Single Serpentine Belt - 01/03/18 08:03 AM

I thought the stock PS bracket would have put your PS pulley out in front of the alt and water pump pulleys. Did you have to do anything to get that to line up?

Thanks,

Steve
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Single Serpentine Belt - 01/03/18 03:06 PM

It will work just fine. we did one for a customer with an ultra low mount ac compressor and the stock alternator in the stock location.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Single Serpentine Belt - 01/03/18 04:55 PM

We use a single serpentine on the heads up car. Runs the alternator(yes we have one) vacuum pump all driven by the crank. Motor sees 10,000rpm on pretty much every pass with zero issues.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Single Serpentine Belt - 01/03/18 07:09 PM

I have used a single 6 rib for years on my small block without issue driving alt only. I now have a single on the 511 driving a water pump and alt. No issues at all.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Single Serpentine Belt - 01/03/18 08:43 PM

Stock power steering belt sits out in front of the wp/alternator towards the end of the ps pump shaft. The GM pulley has the belt in towards the pump housing. You just have to switch to the later press on shaft ps pump, mine was off a 77 Aspen. If you are using the stock mopar alternator you can get that pulley from March also.
March crank pulley 10301, Water pump pulley 10312, Stock mopar alternator pulley 214

Re: Single Serpentine Belt - 01/03/18 09:31 PM

Good info, thanks
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: Single Serpentine Belt - 01/03/18 09:40 PM

Excuse the crummy pic but here's mine. No tensioner, it's installed like a regular v belt. No issues. It used to drive the water pump before I got an electric one.

Attached picture IMG_3539.JPG

Re: Single Serpentine Belt - 01/04/18 05:27 AM

we sell just the power steering brackets if you want to run a mini zf pump. and a stock pulley will work on that.

Re: Single Serpentine Belt - 01/04/18 06:54 AM

Jerry, I checked out your website but didn't see the brackets listed. I guess I need to call for info? I'm not familiar with the ZF pumps but I looked online and they seem to be expensive (if I'm looking at the right part).

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Single Serpentine Belt - 01/04/18 01:29 PM

the brackets are something new that haven't hit the site yet.
© 2024 Moparts Forums