Moparts

67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat?

Posted By: cudadoug

67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/26/17 07:23 AM

Let's see pics! Does any kit come with bars through the package tray or is that a custom bent deal?

If one has tilting forward seat backs (OEM) to access the back seat, how do you get around that the seats aren't securely mounted to the cross bar?

Thank you!
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/26/17 09:23 AM

Most companies offer “seat saver” bars with a bend that are designed to pass through the package tray as an added option to their kit. I just bought an Art Morrison bar, but paid the extra to have those bars custom bent to my dimensions so they will follow the roofline and rear glass tightly.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/26/17 03:32 PM

I believe mine are S&W and they go thru speaker opening in back deck retaining the back seat.
Posted By: dvw

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/26/17 04:19 PM

Stock seats are not required to be attached to the shoulder bar. Rear passengers still have the luxury of climbing over the shoulder bar for access.
Doug
Posted By: justinp61

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/26/17 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By mopar dave
I believe mine are S&W and they go thru speaker opening in back deck retaining the back seat.

Same here. I don't let anyone ride in the back seat though, if something ever went wrong the rear bars are a good way to get a head cracked.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/26/17 06:13 PM

Here's a picture of the bar in my '68 A-body.

Attached picture Rollbar 1 (Medium).jpg
Attached picture Rollbar 2 (Medium).jpg

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/26/17 08:51 PM

Thanks guys, I failed to google it before I posted this...I see seat saver bars in a few kits out there.

Thanks, Doug about the stock seat issue. That makes the whole OE seat deal make sense.

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/26/17 08:51 PM

Whoops...double post.

Posted By: B3422W5

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/26/17 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By justinp61
Originally Posted By mopar dave

Same here. I don't let anyone ride in the back seat though, if something ever went wrong the rear bars are a good way to get a head cracked.

Cage getting installed in my 69 dart as we speak is SW with the back bars through package tray. 8 point with swingouts on both sides.
My guy doing it likes the SW stuff
Posted By: humpty

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/26/17 11:53 PM

Here's a couple shots of the rear seat saver bars from an S&W kit. They were an add on to their 8 point roll bar kit. I couldn't find a picture with the seat installed but you get the point. The last shot shows the swing out bars if your looking at them too.

Attached picture IMG_0411.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0418.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0419.JPG
Posted By: GY3

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/27/17 12:42 AM

Find a good chassis shop near you and have it custom bent!

They knew little tricks and suggested things I hadn't thought of.

Holzman Race Cars did mine.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/27/17 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By dvw
Stock seats are not required to be attached to the shoulder bar. Rear passengers still have the luxury of climbing over the shoulder bar for access.
Doug

doug, what happens if you use stock "production" seats in a hot rod that never had those particular seats ? example : i'm using factory buckets from a '95 caravan in my 33 dodge "humpback" panel truck with a cage. i have been thinking how i can attach the back to the cross bar, and there is no back seat to "save". thanks.
beer
Posted By: 360tripleblack77

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/27/17 05:19 PM

Nice work man! I'm planning install mine next month and probably I will make something like yours.
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/27/17 05:59 PM

Here's my 70...Pics not so good !!

Attached picture 20150109_171921.jpg
Attached picture 20150109_171934.jpg
Attached picture 20150109_172908.jpg
Attached picture 20150111_154316.jpg
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/27/17 06:28 PM

A little better pics !!

Attached picture 20160813_191225.jpg
Attached picture 20160813_191309.jpg
Attached picture 20160813_191753.jpg
Attached picture 20160813_191807.jpg
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/27/17 08:48 PM

If I knew how to post pics I would post some of mine. Cannot Get Flickr to work. Anyone else know if an app?
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/27/17 11:53 PM

One thing to remember, if doing the outrigger bars (comes off the hoop under the seat bar over to the frame conectors) the nose of the lower seat protrudes out to far and will hit. Depends on how far back you install the main hoop. That bar is required if racing, just street, don't use them. I had to cut the braces inside the seat so they could fold up and go between the hoop bars. Thought about reworking the seat frame to fit then reinstall the cover. Seat back installs first with a lot of twisting-bending (both do). Finally didn't use the seats because I added a bar down to the top of spring mount (high pressure point on leaf spring suspension). Might use the seat back then put the lower cover on a made up box type affair.
Posted By: dvw

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/28/17 01:54 AM

Pull the seat cover off then attach your mount to the frame. On my 64 I used the head rest tube locations to fab a mount that came through the rear seat cover.
Doug
Posted By: ProSport

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/28/17 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By GY3
Find a good chassis shop near you and have it custom bent!

They knew little tricks and suggested things I hadn't thought of.

Holzman Race Cars did mine.

I agree, you'll be much happier. I had ChassisFab Performance do mine in Tallmadge Ohio. Mine is just a 6-point street car bar and I wanted it to fit the seat and arm rest and to be easy to get in and out of the car. The rear bars had to go behind my 6x9 speakers.

Attached picture 20171024_205126.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/28/17 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By dvw
Pull the seat cover off then attach your mount to the frame. On my 64 I used the head rest tube locations to fab a mount that came through the rear seat cover.
Doug

thank you ! as the second row buckets i'm using have detachable head rests [with the attaching tubes like your seat[s] have], i will use those as you did for the mount attachment point. i have to cut into the lower seat pan to get the seat to fit the chassis kickup, then i can properly locate the cross bar so the shoulder belts are in the correct height. i also plan to make a shoulder belt guide that will locate off of the head rest posts to keep the belts properly aligned. thanks again for suggesting the use of the head rest mounting tubes for the location of the back brace attaching point ! bow
beer
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/28/17 06:50 PM

Best I can find of my 67 Valiant..

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/28/17 08:13 PM

Any legal six point is going to make getting into the rear seat a real pain and possibly dangerous to any one getting into or out of the car when park, let alone in a crash work
I won't and haven't put a back seat into any of my cars needing a roll bar or cage twocents
Posted By: wyldebill

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/28/17 08:23 PM

Two shots of my 68 valiant under construction

Attached picture 2162.jpeg
Attached picture 2233.jpeg
Posted By: VG423

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/28/17 11:55 PM

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMW...jZENqXnPTNU-LBS

Austalian 2door VG [url=Valianthttps://photos.google.com/album][url=Valianthttps://photos.google.com/album][url=Valianthttps://photos.google.com/album]Valianthttps://photos.google.com/album[/url][/url][/url]

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOo...AoLbGvKAqB-yk-h
Posted By: ProSport

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/29/17 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Any legal six point is going to make getting into the rear seat a real pain and possibly dangerous to any one getting into or out of the car when park, let alone in a crash work
I won't and haven't put a back seat into any of my cars needing a roll bar or cage twocents

I put the back seat in because I think it looks better. Most likely nobody will ever sit in it.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 12/29/17 03:40 AM

Good. up
Posted By: dart_73_br

Re: 67-up Dart. Roll bar with back seat? - 01/04/18 12:39 AM

Some pics of mine...

© 2024 Moparts Forums