Moparts

Automatic Trans Holding Fixture

Posted By: Bad340fish

Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/24/17 09:20 PM

What is everyone using to hold an automatic transmission while working on them? Trans rebuilding is something I haven't done yet and I think I need to start. Something cheap but safe would be ideal. Also any tool suggestions would be great. Thanks for any input.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/24/17 09:45 PM

I use this one to do my powerglide transmissions. I remove the tailshaft and bolt this on.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-7118/overview/

Untitled by John Cadamore, on Flickr
Posted By: humpty

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/24/17 10:20 PM

I use the same fixture John uses. It works well for holding rear diffs too. Additional tools I bought were a clutch spring compressor, a set of bushing drivers, a slide puller for pulling the pump housing, and John Cope’s number on speed dial smile
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/24/17 10:22 PM

I've made a few 727 fixtures that bolt to an engine stand.

Attached picture DSC_1691 (Large).JPG
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/24/17 11:04 PM

I keep it simple, it's served me for 40+ years.

Attached picture Transtand.jpg
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 12:30 AM

Just use a common 2 wheel dolly. Put bellhousing end up and tailshaft on the floorplate. Use a ratchet strap just above the pan surface at back of bell to hold it to the dolly. Done 100+ this way.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By qwkmopardan
Just use a common 2 wheel dolly. Put bellhousing end up and tailshaft on the floorplate. Use a ratchet strap just above the pan surface at back of bell to hold it to the dolly. Done 100+ this way.

👍 Exactly what I do.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 01:37 AM

Some great ideas here thank you. I have been meaning to buy a two wheel dolly anyways, I might try that method. Between selling an engine block and working on a dana 60 project I have had several "dang I wish I had a dolly" moments the last few weeks.
Posted By: topside

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 01:49 AM

Buddy of mine uses a bracket he made like Kunkle's so he can do them on a metal bench for easy clean-up; his has more angle to it though, so the rear of the case is closer to the bench.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 02:38 AM

I had a plate water jetted out with the hole patterns of small block and big block bolt patterns and used an old light weight motor stand and converted it to a tranny stand, works great, I can roll/spin it around in any position.
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By Bad340fish
What is everyone using to hold an automatic transmission while working on them? Trans rebuilding is something I haven't done yet and I think I need to start. Something cheap but safe would be ideal. Also any tool suggestions would be great. Thanks for any input.

I've never used a fixture. Once the tailshaft housing is on, one block to prop that end up and another to keep it from rolling and that's it. On the bench, on the floor, on the tailgate of the pickup, wherever is handy.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 05:20 AM

I made up some arms to bolt to an engine stand and the tabs on the torqueflite case. Took about an hour to make them out of scrap I had in the shop. Works great.
I had some 2x2 tubing and 1/2 x 1 bar stock. I cut four pieces of bar stock to 4 1/2 inch long, drilled a 7/16 hole in one end of each close enough to the end to seat properly on the transmission tabs, and welded them onto the 2x2 x 8 inch long pieces of tubing, with the holes extending out on opposite ends. That allows a lot of adjustability for mounting the trans case.

Attached picture 1224172123.jpg
Posted By: racerx

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 05:32 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

^^^I like that^^^very simple up
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 05:51 AM

I'm a simple guy and luckily don't deal with it to often whistling

Attached picture IMG_1814.JPG
Attached picture 5.16.13 018.jpg
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By gregsdart
I made up some arms to bolt to an engine stand and the tabs on the torqueflite case. Took about an hour to make them out of scrap I had in the shop. Works great.
I had some 2x2 tubing and 1/2 x 1 bar stock. I cut four pieces of bar stock to 4 1/2 inch long, drilled a 7/16 hole in one end of each close enough to the end to seat properly on the transmission tabs, and welded them onto the 2x2 x 8 inch long pieces of tubing, with the holes extending out on opposite ends. That allows a lot of adjustability for mounting the trans case.

That wont work when ears are removed for the CSR shield.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 04:48 PM

I do all of my trans work at my welding bench
and I made up a couple of arms that are welded..
I have a 1/2" hole in the bench so it just bolts
to the bench.. very simple.. I've done 5 518s
on it so far.. plus I have a tool to compress
the OD clutch(about 900* pressure.. I have all
the stuff needed for doing the 518s)
wave
Posted By: longram60

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 04:56 PM

I use a similar set-up with my engine stand, bur with a C shaped angle iron fixture bolted to the face of the tranny (I'll post a pic when I get home)

Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 05:28 PM

Nuttin' fancy here. Hole drilled in edge of bench with a screwdriver dropped thru bell hole. Has worked ok for as many as I mess with but, might make something better next time around. Santa

Attached picture trns1.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

i made one almost identical to yours. it does the job well. up
beer
Posted By: rbkt65

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 08:35 PM

i was lucky enough to buy one at a dodge dealership that went out of business. it was the factory one. it is similar to john kunkels, but a little heavier. i added a pipe to it and can put it in my engine stand to roll the trans in 2 diff positions. and u don't have to worry if ears are cut off for shield.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/25/17 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By MoParFish
Nuttin' fancy here. Hole drilled in edge of bench with a screwdriver dropped thru bell hole. Has worked ok for as many as I mess with but, might make something better next time around. Santa

Is the screw driver from Harbor Freight?
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/26/17 12:47 AM

Once it's ready for the guts, Nothing more than a 15? gallon drum (parts cleaner drum) goes together better being vertical.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/26/17 06:18 AM

Blue Point bench mule I bought from Snappy years ago. Has had transmissions and rears on it over the years. It's paid for itself a few times over.
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/26/17 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969
Once it's ready for the guts, Nothing more than a 15? gallon drum (parts cleaner drum) goes together better being vertical.

Lol...I thought I was the only one...and I wasn't going to admit it...I don't do them often but I use one for disassembly and the reassembly, I do like the engine stand adapter idea though...right after I finish my engine run in stand I may build one of those...ha...who am I kidding, I can't seem to keep other people's projects out of my shop... work
Posted By: longram60

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/27/17 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By longram60
I use a similar set-up with my engine stand, bur with a C shaped angle iron fixture bolted to the face of the tranny (I'll post a pic when I get home)

Picture of mine:

Attached picture DSC02555.JPG
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/27/17 05:45 AM

Best one ever was the wheelbarrow...

Maybe a B Body Bob special
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/27/17 06:24 PM

Just a couple of gusseted angle brackets, did about a dozen tranny's over 20+ years. I know that some cut the lugs off.

Attached picture 100_1371.jpg
Attached picture 100_1365.jpg
Attached picture 100_1375.jpg
Attached picture 100_1376.jpg
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 12/27/17 11:01 PM

Another one from our archives.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...html#Post544355

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 03:27 AM

pics

Attached picture DSCF4034.jpg
Attached picture DSCF4035.jpg
Attached picture DSCF4036.jpg
Posted By: LA360

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 04:57 AM

Not the greatest pictures, but I stole them from the ProTrans Facebook page ages ago.

Attached picture 1557537_1414660378775585_1467698855_n.jpg
Attached picture 1613886_1414660368775586_779506291_n.jpg

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 05:19 AM

I have several different tools for holding 727 transmissions. Here is one of the 2nd gen tools that I built.

Attached picture DSC_1692 (Large).JPG

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 12:50 PM

With the pivot point so far off center of mass, I would think that could make rotation take a little more effort, or get away from you if your not careful.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by B1MAXX
Just a couple of gusseted angle brackets, did about a dozen tranny's over 20+ years. I know that some cut the lugs off.

I like this setup up nice and simple B1maxx was this something you fab. up?
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 01:58 PM

I used one like John Kunkel's for years. It gets the job done simply. Mine had the rear supports go to the factory rear lugs and bolted.

I later made this one with the Mopar BB and SB bellhousing holes. It is nice to be able to either have the pan side up, or rotate to have the tailshaft end down.

Attached picture Trans_stand_Jim2.JPG
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 02:06 PM

For my 1st PowerGlide, I just welded some angle iron that bolts to my steel bench.
jI do some work with the pan side up just laying on the bench. Then for final assembly, put it vertical.

Attached picture Final_assembly-post.jpg

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 03:45 PM

With the pivot point so far off center of mass, I would think that could make rotation take a little more effort, or get away from you if your not careful.

The pivot is in the center, you just can't see it since it is on the other side.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish

Hey Clark, here is the proper "Fixture" for a 727. LOL!!!

Attached picture dumpster-rental-scrap-metal-420x420.jpg

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF

The pivot is in the center, you just can't see it since it is on the other side.

OK thanks for explaining.

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by racerx

I like this setup up nice and simple B1maxx was this something you fab. up?

Yes just cut up some angle I had around., and some gussets.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by hemi-itis
I'm a simple guy and luckily don't deal with it to often whistling

Your bench looks like mine right now, Van overdrive trans. Been thinking of making one to fit on an engine stand sideways, able to spin it and when done set it on the trans jack (they are heavier now a days)
Just like BMaxx nice!

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 05:35 PM

Here is one of my more "pro" versions. I had this one plated so it wouldn't rust.

Attached picture DSC_3531 (Large).JPG

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 05:38 PM

I also built some tripod dollies so I could move fully built transmissions around the shop.

Attached picture DSC_4412 (Large).JPG
Posted By: Bob Stinson

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by qwkmopardan

Use a wheelbarrow and you don't even need to mess with the ratchet strap

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/23/22 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Stinson

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm not knocking it one bit but the first thing that came into my head was the intro to dueling banjos.
Posted By: Bob Stinson

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/24/22 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Stinson

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm not knocking it one bit but the first thing that came into my head was the intro to dueling banjos.

You're not the first person to say that. It worked though.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/24/22 11:02 PM

I do them on the workbench

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/24/22 11:19 PM

Dropping the clutch assy's in with it pointed up is well worth it in my opinion.
Posted By: POZEST

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/25/22 12:12 PM

Same here. So simple.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/25/22 04:32 PM

I just use my Blue Point bench mule.

Torqueflites get one leg bolted to the front tab, use a 2 3/4" spacer with a long bolt on the rear tab. If the tabs are gone, I use the bellhousing.

OE Powerglides I use a couple bolts on the pan flange.
Posted By: clovis

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/28/22 01:48 AM

Special thanks to B1MAXX, for the extra photos. It enable to me to create one from an engine stand with very little work-$8 worth of the angle iron and I was in business. It works out good as I can drop it onto the middle leg to pre-load the output for checking final clearance. That’s my chief mechanic, at work there with the converter. My dad will turn 80 next birthday, and I still have to fight him to get to the wrenches first.

Attached picture F37B4050-AE01-4CD5-973B-F25079D14E67.jpeg
Attached picture 9215BCAE-2045-413E-98B0-471BA1499529.jpeg
Attached picture 4A0A106C-8BC4-4C29-82FC-24645F78B7A1.jpeg

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/28/22 12:39 PM

Very nice. Your very lucky to have a good partner there. up
Posted By: moparx

Re: Automatic Trans Holding Fixture - 02/28/22 04:03 PM

Very nice. Your very lucky to have a good partner there. up

my sentiments exactly ! up
beer