Moparts

400 block tear down

Posted By: mopar dave

400 block tear down - 12/17/17 07:42 PM

Finally got around to tearing the 400 block down that i picked up a few months ago. Everything looked real good, but it had clevite 77 bearings and an aluminum cam gear with pentistar cast in it. Are these factory items or do you think it was rebuilt? Need to get it sonic'd. Should make a good block.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 400 block tear down - 12/17/17 09:00 PM

The aluminum cam gear is, the Clevite 77 bearings aren't shruggy
Posted By: ccdave

Re: 400 block tear down - 12/17/17 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By mopar dave
Finally got around to tearing the 400 block down that i picked up a few months ago. Everything looked real good, but it had clevite 77 bearings and an aluminum cam gear with pentistar cast in it. Are these factory items or do you think it was rebuilt? Need to get it sonic'd. Should make a good block.

You won’t know if it’s a good block till after the block is sonic checked.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 400 block tear down - 12/17/17 11:50 PM

Factory bearings are usually Michigan 77. Look close at the bearings and you might see a date stamp. If the date code is there then you'll know when the rebuild happened. Are the bearings standard size? It would seem odd to have the bearings changed but nothing else but maybe a customer had a rod knock so a shop put new bearings in.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: 400 block tear down - 12/18/17 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By ccdave
Originally Posted By mopar dave

You won’t know if it’s a good block till after the block is sonic checked.
and for a few extra buck's have it checked for cracks also.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: 400 block tear down - 12/18/17 03:20 AM

not sure on the date, but they do have clevite stamped in them. the nylon teeth on the cam gear are in almost new condition. gonna get it fully checked out and put it away. thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums