Moparts

SNAP!

Posted By: rebel

SNAP! - 03/01/09 08:50 PM

semi finals. 2 cars away from staging. engine stumbles, gave her a blip on the pedal. dead! push it away, check no spark. found dizzy not spinning. pulled dizzy & drive out, all ok, wind over enging, cam not rotating but cambelt is.
damn, broken roller cam. 1 1/2 seasons old. anyone have similar problems with Comp Cams breaking. mines only a tame unit, spring pressure is only 500 on the nose but it broke just past the first journal, now i need to find a similar replacement & a few valves. don't you hate motorsport when this sort of nonsence happens?
Posted By: atoetly

Re: SNAP! - 03/01/09 09:20 PM

Had the same thing happen but with a flat tappet cam. Are you running a timing chain? Mine was loose and that is what I was told was the cause. The chain going from loose to tight to loose and the cam basicilly getting whipped back an forth.

Attached picture 5062773-IMG_7323.jpg
Posted By: rebel

Re: SNAP! - 03/01/09 09:26 PM

no chain. it's a dry belt with idler so no flexing of the belt. belt is still firm.
Posted By: chargerron69

Re: SNAP! - 03/01/09 09:35 PM

i had the pin that holds the cam to the gear break before. every thing spins but the cam
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: SNAP! - 03/02/09 12:50 AM

Quote:

i had the pin that holds the cam to the gear break before. every thing spins but the cam

Only on single bolt cams, I have seen more than one Isky single bolt cam have the pin come out and end up in the oil pan It tears up a lot of valves if theere close to the minimum V to P clearances
© 2024 Moparts Forums