Moparts

RACEPAK QUESTION

Posted By: 1DGEMAN

RACEPAK QUESTION - 12/14/17 05:20 AM

Anybody here use a racepak on their car? I have a question about the magnetic collar on the Strange U1598 Yoke. Should I use a 2,4, or 8 magnet collar? Any up side to more magnetic triggers?
Thanks
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: RACEPAK QUESTION - 12/14/17 07:50 AM

Read the instructions. They talk about one or two with my Sportsman unit. Never heard of using 8??? "Seems the Water Boy is a cheetah".... haha
Posted By: Ben Holt

Re: RACEPAK QUESTION - 12/14/17 03:57 PM

The more magnets, the better the resolution, at least early in the run, you will have with the driveshaft RPM. It's more beneficial on a fast, stick shift car (Pro Stock or Pro Mod or the like) because we are really looking hard at those early numbers to diagnose shake, ET, etc. It can't hurt on a slower ET type car, but I don't think you will see much of a difference. If you have some type of traction control or timing control that uses DS, like a Davis or an MSD grid setup, then you have to have 8 magnets, and the control unit and the Racepak can then share the collar.

Whichever you decide to get you just have to make sure you go into the config file and select the amount of magnets so that the graph will display the correct amount.

On a regular bracket car it just comes down to how much you want to spend. The 2 magnet is cheaper than the 8. But, you can never have too much data.....
Posted By: Dduster

Re: RACEPAK QUESTION - 12/14/17 04:01 PM

Go with the eight (8) magnet collar. More magnets more precision for measurement. If I remember the 8 magnet unit is not 8X in cost but only an amount less the 2X. You will like the Racepak once You are comfortable with operation and how to use all the information.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: RACEPAK QUESTION - 12/14/17 06:11 PM

Gregg Kelly @ motorsports innovations told me since I already have a collar with 4 magnets it was plenty.
Gregg 609-265-2110

He's very helpful.
Don
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: RACEPAK QUESTION - 12/14/17 06:29 PM

Something else to look at is gear ratio and how quickly the yolk begins to turn in the first foot.. but I would think at least four...
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: RACEPAK QUESTION - 12/14/17 06:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. This is for a low 10 second stick shift small block
Stock Eliminator car.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: RACEPAK QUESTION - 12/17/17 04:10 PM

considered changing yokes when I installed mine, but I ended up simply installing the ring on the output shaft of the trans and drilled and tapped the tailshaft housing..... just throwing that out there.
© 2024 Moparts Forums