Moparts

Affordable street strip electric fuel pump

Posted By: Von

Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/12/17 08:37 AM

The mallory 140 on my car seems to have died. Looked up the price for a new 140 and immediately was hit with sticker shock. At least 2 times higher than what I paid for the pump however many years ago. 325 seems pretty dang high for a 140..

What is an affordable (like to stay around $200), quality, reliable pump in the 140 gph range these days?
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/12/17 10:23 AM

I use the SX Fuelsystems pump. No longer in business but i believe it to be same as the Edelbrock 160 quite flow. $210. Iv had this pump in operation for 12 yrs now. No issues yet.
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/12/17 01:57 PM

aeromotive 11203 had 2 on my car for over 15 yrs no problems !!!

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/12/17 07:03 PM

Considering a walbro external pump.

Anybody used one?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/12/17 07:13 PM

You might want to think 2 pumps in parallel
instead of 1 bigger pump.. your looking for
flow not pressure.. I have been running 2
pumps on the race car since day 1.. they dont
need to be pricey.. the one thing about cheaper
pumps is they tent to be a little noisier.. but
if you isolate them they arent bad
EDIT
Also if one dies you can still make it home
or back to the pits
wave
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/12/17 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By Von

Anybody used one?

If you going mechanical. Then go with a Clay Smith.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/12/17 10:30 PM

I'd pick a couple of Walbro 255 lph pumps mounted in the fuel tank if I was starting from scratch.pump them in parallel.

I am seeing Carter external mount rotary vane electric pumps or clones on Ebay for not too much money. I have had exceptional luck with that kind for street use. Again to get the flow you want you need two in parallel.

R.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/12/17 11:32 PM

I prefer the Carter. It's a Mopar thing. Cheap, simple, small and it works.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 12:10 AM

Von I know some say they are too noisey but I have always run Holley pumps since the 70's. The one I run now is the black one with a reg set at 6 psi and it supplies my 850 fine with 3/8 line. Myself when you grew up wanting to hear that fuel pump when you turn the key on as that way I knew it was working so a little fuel pump noise does not bother me at all in my hotrod running 3" exh with Ultra-Flow mufflers. And I have never been let down on the road by a Holley pump but I did have one go bad from sitting a few years as it locked up. But thats all I use is just the Holley electric pump and its cost was not that bad. Ron

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By rt66jim
Originally Posted By Von

Anybody used one?

If you going mechanical. Then go with a Clay Smith.

Walbro pump is electric.

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 05:19 AM

Ron,

I used blues and reds "back in the day"...

Had one or two die. But...they were dead headed. I have a return now, so I assume their life should be longer, and probably quieter.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 05:39 AM

I put lots of miles and lots of years on a holley blue. I never had it let me down, I started to carry a spare when I did drag week but never needed it.

With my EFI I run two walboro 255LPH pumps. I killed one pump on drag week and had a second one die almost instantly. Looking back on it the problem was teething pains from a new EFI fuel system and not cleaning the 10 micron filter often enough. Since then I have had no problems with the walboro pumps mounted externally.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 07:23 AM

I run a Carter system on the Satellite.... mechanical 6903 pump full time on the street. It also has a 4600HP electric pump in series back near the tank. I run a one-way check valve around it so the mechanical can pull around it, but when I turn it on it pushes to the mechanical. I use the electric pump to prime when the cars been sitting and at the track only. This setup seems to work real well so far.

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 07:30 AM

Anybody used the Big End electric pumps? I see reference as to them actually being made by Holley??

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 07:31 AM

Clark,

Was ur blue setup dead or return?
Posted By: BradH

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 03:38 PM

Yeah, the Mallory pump price has gotten ridiculous. The only reason I bought a new 140 to replace my old 140 was because I scored a $50 off $250+ purchase Summit coupon. Otherwise, I'd have looked elsewhere, too. I was leaning towards an Aeromotive before I got the Summit deal.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By 572charger
aeromotive 11203 had 2 on my car for over 15 yrs no problems !!!

iagree I ran one of those Aeromotive 11203 pumps on the cuda for a long time and really liked it. It's on my road runner now. A little over $200, so right where you want to be price wise.
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 04:19 PM

Can a mechanical pump pull through a bad electric pump? I thought that we did this back in the 70's but don't remember if we plumbed it differently.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 05:28 PM

Von the blue pump was dead headed. There was times it made some pretty bad noises on drag week when it was hot but it never failed. It was supporting about 450-500HP pulling through the stock 5/16 pickup.
Posted By: Triggerfish

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 06:04 PM

I hate noisy elec pumps (holley blue), so when a short pushrod took out the cam lobe on my Hemi, I got a Holley HP 150ghp gearrotor pump & it was SUPER quiet. Could barely hear it with the motor idling. They're $237 at Summit. Also run the Mallory gearrotor design 110 gph pump on my sweptlines 383's and they're even quieter. Their 140 gph pump is $287 vs the Holley 150 at $237 so I'd get the Holley.

Attached picture hly-12-150_xl.jpg
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By Triggerfish
I hate noisy elec pumps (holley blue), so when a short pushrod took out the cam lobe on my Hemi, I got a Holley HP 150ghp gearrotor pump & it was SUPER quiet. Could barely hear it with the motor idling. They're $237 at Summit. Also run the Mallory gearrotor design 110 gph pump on my sweptlines 383's and they're even quieter. Their 140 gph pump is $287 vs the Holley 150 at $237 so I'd get the Holley.

That Holley is the one I have for a back up pump. wave

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 06:34 PM

Check out the reviews of the Holley gerotor pumps on Summit before you go that direction. At first I thought it would be the perfect affordable replacement for my Mallory 140, but there are LOTS of down reviews for the Holley gerotor pumps. Based on that info, I have serious concerns about their reliability, despite the improved design over the original Holley pumps.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 06:39 PM

If you put on a elec pump make sure you isolate
it well.. and that includes having a little bit
of rubber hose on both sides of the pump.. if
its isolated well you wont hardly hear it run
even with the engine off(dont use a hard durometer
rubber on it)think like its floating
wave
Posted By: srunge55

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 08:20 PM

I thought the Mallory pumps were rebuildable. Have you considered that option?
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/13/17 09:50 PM

Another vote for the Holly blue or black, been around forever. That should speak for itself. I did used the Carter pump on my Duster with 383 and it worked fine too, always 7 psi
Posted By: 383man

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/14/17 07:02 AM

Originally Posted By Von
Ron,

I used blues and reds "back in the day"...

Had one or two die. But...they were dead headed. I have a return now, so I assume their life should be longer, and probably quieter.

Your right as I agree. Ron
Posted By: SILVER67

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 12/14/17 05:39 PM

Mallory 140
With a Holley 12-803bp
-10 feed
-8 return

Been in use since 2012

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 01/19/18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By srunge55
I thought the Mallory pumps were rebuildable. Have you considered that option?

They are, sort of. Pretty sure my issue is an armature issue.

Mallory used to service them, but since they were bought out by MSD...they no longer will do it.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 01/19/18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By Von
Anybody used the Big End electric pumps? I see reference as to them actually being made by Holley??

I run the Magnafuel 300 and it rocks and can be driven for a couple of hrs. according to them............. beer
Posted By: gtsdude

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 01/19/18 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By Von

I have a big end black pump, same as holley. Been on since 2006 dead headed to a holley regulator. It is noisy but I did nothing to help that, its mounted to frame rail with no rubber.

Re: Affordable street strip electric fuel pump - 01/19/18 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By Von
Mallory used to service them, but since they were bought out by MSD...they no longer will do it.

Pi$$er... I planned to send them the one that's on my car while it's been sitting for years. I tried to rebuild the one I had before that, but botched something and was never able to get it to work again. Never liked working on electrical stuff.
© 2024 Moparts Forums