Moparts

Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive?

Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/11/17 07:01 PM

When lashing valves I usually turn the engine with a wrench. I have used a remote starter button to bump the engine over before, but I have been concerned that it's beating up the starter drive and ring gear. Possibly leading to a failure at the worst possible moment. What's your experience with this? Am I being overly paranoid?
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/11/17 07:05 PM

Way overly paranoid. If your starter can't take bumping to set valve lash that thing is junk.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/11/17 07:21 PM

Its no different than just starting the engine
that has a real good ignition where it wants
to start real quick.. long crank times are
harder on it than a short hit
wave
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/11/17 07:41 PM

Joel, since you have a Hemi and easy access to plugs, you can just pull a few to alleviate any concerns.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/11/17 07:59 PM

Ok, bumpity bump it shall be.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/11/17 08:24 PM

I always do it by hand. That way I hit the marks perfectly without going too far. I usually pull the plugs too, nice to have a look at them anyway.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/11/17 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel
When lashing valves I usually turn the engine with a wrench. I have used a remote starter button to bump the engine over before, but I have been concerned that it's beating up the starter drive and ring gear. Possibly leading to a failure at the worst possible moment. What's your experience with this? Am I being overly paranoid?

I prefer the NON lazy wrench method cos starters are designed to start your car not set valves although many do.........Plus, the wrench is more accurate since you control it............ beer
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/11/17 09:15 PM

Same here as Thumper said, I like to first start the engine but just for a few minutes to not create heat and just get the cylinder walls and all else coated with a nice film of oil. Then I go to the wrench on the balance bolt and turn it to the desired position for lashing without scouring the walls with dry piston drag. I like lashing them cold.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/11/17 09:20 PM

If you ever took apart an old Mopar starter you'd have a visual answer to your question. The solenoid contacts are what really take the beating and arc out with every contact. So when the starter finally fails its got nothing to do with the armature, brushes, etc, its the solenoid contacts that have bit the bullet. Ford got it right making a stand alone starter solenoid !! Easy to change and a fraction of the cost !!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/11/17 09:30 PM

I use the starter to get most of the turn then
do it with a ratchet to get it on the money..
no plugs in it
wave
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/11/17 10:49 PM

I do it both ways depending on how hard it is to get the socket and breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt shruggy
I wouldn't try using the starter with all the plugs out shruggy
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/12/17 12:50 AM

I've always just bumped the starter, I even have a starter button on the center of the firewall that I can reach from both sides. I use the 'ICE' method so once they're set I can buzz through them in a few minutes just to check them.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/12/17 02:37 AM

'ICE' method?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/12/17 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By rowin4
'ICE' method?

Intake valves start to open set the exhaust valve lash, rotate the motor over clockwise facing the motor until the intake valve opens all the way and starts to close a little and then set the exhaust valve lash scope up
Works good, last a long time thumbs wrench
Posted By: dvw

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/12/17 03:58 AM

I bump mine (15-1 comp) and do not follow the firing order. Switch is right on the firewall. Same stock Dodge truck starter for 5 years. Nearly 500 passes lashed every 20-25 passes.
Doug
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/12/17 04:03 AM

I mounted a remote switch on both sides of the firewall on my Duster and have always used the starter to set valves.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/auto...=starter+button
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/12/17 04:06 AM

Yep, Bump away. up
Posted By: 383man

Re: Is bumping an engine hard on the starter Drive? - 12/13/17 12:33 AM

I always bump it with the starter. Its just hard to turn mine by hand with my mechanical fan as I always seem to bang my hands up when doing it with a breaker bar. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums