Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/06/17 05:36 AM

I'll ask Thursday.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/06/17 05:44 AM

$2,200 minimum is my guess...
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/06/17 04:34 PM

I think they are on sale now for $1,800 or so but that might have been a black Friday deal.

Pretty sure they make them for 904 also.

I have seen folks looking for folks that have used them and not seen any replies.

If they work as well as a "normal" converter, they could save money in the end for someone really wanted to get a car dialed in.

Bill
Posted By: crlush

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/06/17 06:49 PM

Cool idea.
Posted By: humpty

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/06/17 07:41 PM

Thanks for the info. What is the benefit of a bolt together converter?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/06/17 07:50 PM

Does Neal Chance not make a bolt together converter for a 727? He's been making bolt together converters over 20 years. I guess no one w/ a 727 would likely buy one, b/c by the time you're serious enough to need one, 99% of those cars won't be running a 727.

humpty...you can make stall adjustments yourself if you have enough money for the extra parts to change out.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/06/17 07:59 PM

I run a bolt together Bradco. Was nice to take to Brad and watch him unbolt it and tell me I ain't hurting it 😊

It's a custom deal for my Bruno

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/06/17 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
humpty...you can make stall adjustments yourself if you have enough money for the extra parts to change out.

Thanks Cuda.

I've been using custom built converters for all my combos over the years, but never made any changes after they were built. Now I'm chasing ET's and am willing to make changes. How do you guys dial in your converters? Increase the stall until ET's fall off? Buy a few and use the one that works best?

Thanks.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/06/17 08:49 PM

humpty...usually I have a feel for which way the converter needs to go after I make some passes w/ the car. I take it out and have my converter guy make an adjustment and try it again. I'm fortunate that my converters are built locally and he does it while I wait. Usually doesn't charge anything for a simple adjustment when sorting out a new combo.
Most places usually give one free adjustment when you buy a new converter.

I've seen guys show up at the track w/ 2 or 3 spare converters and try each one. That's great, but expensive.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/06/17 10:18 PM

Data logging is really the best way. But just watching the tach on the shift and at the stripe and doing the math. To much drop on the shift means the converter is to tight, not enough too loose. To much RPM at the stripe will lead to excessive slip which creates heat and depending on the amount and combo could be costing ALOT of ET and certainly MPH.

Bolt togethers are definitely nothing new to the market but seeing ATI offer them for TF's is a good thing. Great for the Stock and Super Stock guys for sure. We run a billet bolt together from A1 in the heads up car. The ability to swap stators or spacing at the track is a big advantage if you are chasing every last ET. Especially when traveling and facing differing conditions, in altitude and weather.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/06/17 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By humpty
Thanks for the info. What is the benefit of a bolt together converter?

One advantage is that you can clean it out and check it yourself without having to send it in and have them cut it open and send it back.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/06/17 11:48 PM

And you can change the internal components to modify the converter's behavior.

These were introduced many years ago but were banned by some sanctioning bodies because of the exorbitant cost.

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/07/17 03:56 AM

Good info. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/08/17 03:11 PM

That's super nice, and a billet aluminum front too, super nice. Check out how nice the anti ballooning plate is. Not just a flat disc welded against the radius. Looks like they made a billet part that extends all the way up to the top of the body. Wonder if it'll be diode, or sprag?

Hurray for a new mopar part for racing!!

I'm guessing 2,600-3,000 in cost. From the looks of it, worth every penny.

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/08/17 04:09 PM

ATI seems to loves their sprags.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/08/17 04:27 PM

Just got done talking with ATI , and pricing isn't finalized just yet, but he thought in the 1900-2000 range. The converter is 4lbs lighter then a regular steel 8".

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/08/17 05:12 PM

FYI A1 makes a billet bolt together for TF's as well. It is 10lbs less than a steel piece. We use on in the heads up car

Posted By: dthemi

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/08/17 06:10 PM

Wow, I knew A1 made one, but i'd never seen one till now. That looks even better than ATI's. How much, roughly are those from A1? I bet it cools down quick too being all aluminum.
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: ATI bolt together torque converter - 12/08/17 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
FYI A1 makes a billet bolt together for TF's as well. It is 10lbs less than a steel piece. We use on in the heads up car

And yet another source, though they don't specifically say Chrysler trans apps:

https://www.bteracing.com/products/BTE39500SLBT
© 2024 Moparts Forums