Moparts

CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!!

Posted By: hemi-itis

CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 07:03 AM

http://www.onlineequine.com/not-for-hire...y-in-a-big-way/
Posted By: flypaper

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 07:27 AM

you know who to thank..
soon they will be inbedding chips into you!
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 04:13 PM

Well that will pretty much affect anyone on here that uses their truck and trailer to tow a car to an event. Furtherance of commercial activity.....Thanks Uncle Sam.
Todd
Posted By: Crizila

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 04:26 PM

I retired in 02 and let my CDL run out. Glad to be missing all this shat!
Posted By: moparx

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 04:32 PM

one thing jumped out at me, was towards the end of the article stating : "if the vehicle is a 2000 model year or older, an ELD is not required." well just put an old [30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, etc] cab on a late chassis and go ! would look MUCH cooler in the long run ! i like HOT ROD trucks ! [can ya tell ? biggrin] maybe not for every one, but if you got the bucks to waste on horses, well, just my opinion. plus, it would create a new industry ! [just my opinion also, so take my 2cents with a large grain of salt.] wonder if anyone will try this approach ?
beer
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 05:21 PM

Probably going to get flamed for this, but weight is weight, doesnt matter if its sand or horses. You will have to admit, there are always going to be drivers that cannot handle the vehicle with the weight they are carrying. Even CDL drivers that cant backup, cant handle their vehicles. People hook up a pickup to a trailer carrying horses or whatever and drive the thing like they are in a car. Just yesterday followed a SUV, not a pickup mind you, capable of the weight, pulling a horse trailer, stuck out in the left lane, trailer swaying all over the place, going too fast downhill and dragging uphill. Never dawned on the driver to move over, slow down and drive like they had some sense. Put everyone near him and the horses in danger.

People never realize when they are too tired to drive, so before anyone says it, Ive had my CDL A since its inception. Driven times when I shouldnt have, just older and a little wiser, hopefully.

Just my opinion.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 05:32 PM

Not really a big deal. The whole CDL/No CDL or Commercial/Not for hire game will continue to be played on the highways like it has for years.

In order to protect yourself, you need to understand the rules and know how to stay out of trouble.

1. NEVER ever stop at a scale house, weigh station, or port of entry.
2. Maintain your equipment in good working order. (clean, lights working, good tires, mudflaps, current plates.)
3. Avoid getting pulled over, (speeding, accidents, lane changes)

Just sticking with those three things will mean you will likely never have to have a discussion with a patrolman or DOT official about the status of your rig and whether it qualifies as a commercial vehicle or RV.

Should you find yourself in a situation where you are forced to be a roadside lawyer trying to avoid a ticket:
You need to know how your State's laws may differ from those around you, for instance AZ's plates say "Commercial" on all vehicles rated 1 ton or above, and law enforcement from other states always try to say that automatically includes you.
Be prepared for their line of questioning. It's a show car, not a race car. You are not sponsored by anyone and NEVER race for money.

Between myself, Dad, Mom, and my three little brothers, we've got nearly 200 years of CDL experience. We've got nearly that many years and many miles of RV/Hobby towing as well. Throughout all that we've only had to defend our non commercial status twice with our race rigs, and we're able to avoid a ticket on both occasions.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 05:54 PM

That’s it I’m selling my motorhome, truck, and Trailer and turning my cars into show cars and street racers. Maybe I will win a trophy
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 06:15 PM

yep, wish I could. 6 more yrs til retirement. I heard the blood pressure numbers were also lowered from what they were. I have always been boarder lined. Pharmasudical companies behind this i'm sure. That will put some more drivers out of work.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 06:35 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't see the big deal. If you have the money for a full tractor, a triple axle trailer, 2 race cars, an ATV, and full support equipment, how much inconvenience can their really be in a tracking device. The relative expense doesn't seem like it should be a lot. Keep accurate records of change in drivers to justify going over their recording limits, and you should be fine.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 06:38 PM

And if you're driving the 14 hour limit, or more, go out all night partying with the guys once you catch up at the meet, I sure as hell don't want to line up next to you the next morning at time trials.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 06:41 PM

I have a CDL as well and I cringe at a lot of the stuff I see out there. This isn't a totally bad thing. There's a lot of unsafe iron out there and a lot of people that shouldn't be driving the weight and size.

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 06:54 PM

I agree. Sure is alot of junk out there going down the road.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 06:56 PM

If I didn't have an opportunity to vote for you, or not, you shouldn't be able to make up rules and regulations that have such far reaching effects on people's lives. Career hacks and bureaucrats have to continually make up new crap to justify their existence and develop new revenue streams. It's never enough. There's always one more crisis to deal with.

The lazy bums we did get to vote for have given these various agencies the authority to do whatever they want with no accountability. Once they've washed their hands of it, they think people can't get mad at them for creating this crap.

I'm old enough to remember when you could just hook up your rig and go racing without living in fear of someone with Wyatt Earp Syndrome jerking you up and writing you up $1000s in fines for crap they don't even know about half the time.

Have I missed anything?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 07:37 PM

OK OK
when someone finally consults a lawyer in their state and gets a definitive answer please POST that for others to see that way we KNOW and are not just jerking around here

I have a match race / exhibition car---I am not paid and have no sponsors--no stickers on the car or trailer--my truck has proper tag, mirrors, etc to cover all the weight I don't race for $$ It is not a commercial enterprise and I do NOT deduct any of it on my taxes so...I plan on contacting a lawyer in NC that does DOT work--
But...I know in the past that there is always some uninformed or misinformed patrolman that does not like a fuel jug on board etc If they want you they will get you then it is off to the courthouse and a lawyer bill even if you are innocent I used to have and know the rules but since I have not been going much in last few years looks like I need an upgrade in the KNOWLEDGE department
I would suggest that anyone that tows do the same in their homestate so we can share
guessing that bracket racers that race for $$ are in a different situation

So...Lets go to work on it and not just yap about the durn Gov't we all know they suck and are out to get us but usually they just catch the uninformed

How about everyone here donate $5 and Moparts contact a lawyer and get some idea here we could all benefit greatly from a MILD donation
Hows that???????

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 08:00 PM

Some more info.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2339026&highlight=dot+rules
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 08:35 PM

I agree with mopar billy, don't drive any tow vehicle like you normally drive a car. Get in the right lane, drive slower, pay attention, no yakking with the others in the rig, don't draw the attention of the law. Remember, YOU are the idiot in the far left lane holding up everyone else, swerving and can't go fast enough to get around the other vehicle (like big trucks).
At the last race in MIR I was talking to a guy who had a 40 ft enclosed trailer and he said he got pulled over in Penn because he had triple axels, no lettering or ads, reason he was trying to sell it. He said he tows cars all over the country for other people and been seeing issues everywhere. Made me rethink buying one with living quarters, like he said, get a motor home and 2axel tag, but I guess they're next to go down.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 08:35 PM

I tow my 50 year old junk with a 40 year old 1 ton (3/4 ton convo) well maintained truck on a 20 foot flatbed. The Dot is in front of my house maybe 20 times a summer, they look, I wave, they wave back.

Like Billy wrote, keep stuff looking good, never stop unless pressed to and drive right, no problems.

I have rolled through some dot checkpoints where everyone stops and they look for current tags, say "nice truck" and I move on.

They seem to look at the newer 50k trucks and enclosed trailers differently then what im doing, but its all good.

All I can say is keep it simple.

Attached picture DSC09956.JPG
Attached picture DSC00001.JPG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 08:55 PM

I run a diesel dually and pull a 42' trailer..
it has a LQ in it and I carry the latest copy
of the regulations just so I can pull it out
and have the person(cop) show me(I have the
pages with a tab on them to say what is and
what isnt legal for me and my rig.. so far I
have never been pulled over.. but I am legal
and I keep my rig clean and always check my
lights daily if I'm using the rig
wave
Posted By: A/MP

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 09:12 PM

Two important parts to consider before your getting nuts. Is your truck rated over 10,000 lbs. This exempts most open trailers with a car. Are you deducting the gas,insurance on vehicle, race car itself and/or maintenance fees? If not then this does not affect you. COMMERCIAL USE is the key factor. If you add your race winnings to your total income and do not use the mentioned above deductions, then you are not affected.If you want to get around this, then have your local U.S. congressman and senator change the laws governing the IRS status of "race cars" and the tax code. The tax laws for racing are so screwy at best. If they change those laws and allow for the deduction on maintenance, then this new mandate of your truck/trailer may be just a little glitch.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 09:56 PM

Well just a couple points. The guy stopping you has not one clue whether you are writing off expenses or not. As a business or as personal income/hobby losses. SO they will call it as they see it, period. Been there done that. Usually it is up to their discretion whether they see it as commercial or not. Even if it is a 3/4 ton truck and an 18' open trailer. As that reads if you can even possibly be compensated, IE winnings at a race or in some states even a trophy then you CAN be classified as commercial since there is a possibility of some form of compensation.

This whole deal is a mess. I suggest like others here. Don't act like an idiot, drive responsibly and vigilantly. Dont do anything that will attract attention to yourself. If you can be informed about what the state you are licensed in requires then all the better. However what was referenced here is federal DOT law, on top of what state requirements are. I dropped my CDL long long ago. I don't really want to have one again but at the rate things are going it may have to happen. If you want to change this stuff, first off good luck, government rarely goes backward with regulation. Write you congressman or senator and express your concern. Also SEMS and NHRA are about the only people lobbying on our behalf for change or a calming of regulation..
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 09:58 PM

From the article...
“ Question 21: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the “occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise” apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.”
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
I'm sorry, but I don't see the big deal. If you have the money for a full tractor, a triple axle trailer, 2 race cars, an ATV, and full support equipment, how much inconvenience can their really be in a tracking device. The relative expense doesn't seem like it should be a lot. Keep accurate records of change in drivers to justify going over their recording limits, and you should be fine.

Just a comment...okay? My 2010 2500 Cummins with my flatbed car trailer and a 'B' body on it, I gross out at nearly 15,000 lbs. Just a bit over 10,000 lbs.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By 6PakBee
Just a comment...okay? My 2010 2500 Cummins with my flatbed car trailer and a 'B' body on it, I gross out at nearly 15,000 lbs. Just a bit over 10,000 lbs.

Pretty sure the federal law is if you have a truck with a gross combined weight rating over 26,000 pounds, and the trailer you are towing is over 10,000 pounds, you need a class A CDL. If just the truck has a gross vehicle weight rating of over 26,000 pounds you also need a CDL but it doesn't have to be a class A. Your 2500 with a B body on an open trailer is not CDL territory.

The police officer that pulls you over will be the one deciding if what you're doing counts as for profit or interstate commerce. That's where the real problem lies.

I will say I got my class A with air brake endorsement a month ago for work, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable yet driving a conventional 18 wheeler/40 ton rig. Most of what I tow is just over the CDL threshold.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 11:14 PM

Just thought of something, maybe this will force us to go back to the good old days with a pickup or car towing an open trailer, no land cruise ships on wheels. That's one of the reasons it's hard to get into a Natioal event, no parking.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 11:32 PM

so a 5000lb (1/2 ton) truck and a 24ft trailer with nothing in but a 3500lb race car, thinking total race car and trailer 9000lbs do I need a cdl?? 15000 lbs at the most total.
Posted By: Medlock51

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 11:40 PM

After going thru all the crap associated with a sleep study I decided I didn't want the Feds in my bedroom and gave up my tier 4 license and downgraded to tier 1 intrastate only. 45 years and 4 1/4 million miles... got nothing to prove anymore. Now I drive two to three days per week and sleep at home...piss on them.

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 11:41 PM

26k or air brakes...
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/03/17 11:51 PM

I think we are missing the issue here a bit. The electronic log is the issue. I'm pretty sure that a dually and a 24' enclosed trailer are over the CDL limit but in California you are already paying for the pickup in reg. fees. If you get pulled over or a cop pulls up when you have a flat or something, I would tend to think that they don't care so much about a guy in a motor home or pickup traveling to or from an event. What they care about is where you are coming from and where you are going and how much time you are spending on the road. I recently went from California to Springfield Missouri in my dually for the Thanksgiving week. I saw two truck accidents. All I could tell is that the ops fell asleep. No other vehicles involved. It's the time behind the wheel that they are trying to regulate. Rightly so. Does anyone really want or need to drive more than 11 hours in a 24 hour period?
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 01:01 AM

Been trailering cars for 40 years now. I had a CDL for a while but dropped it last year after the new rules went into affect here in the godless state of Illinoise. tsk I have driven a vehicle that was 89' long, 45' Freightliner motorhome with 44' 4-car stacker across the county dozes of times, as well as a dually with a 53' fifth wheel trailer. I can tell you this, State laws trump Federal laws, that is FOR SURE! work The absolute WORST states to tow through are Pennsylvania and New Mexico, with Kalifornika a close third. mad PA has a law that states the tow vehicle license MUST have a weight rating equal to the truck and trailer, and all states have length limits. Only had problems with PA and CA, had to pay a fine for over length in PA for every mile I drove on the turnpike. CA has a 65' limit and they were trying to figure out how to tow me to impound, and couldn't do it so they let me drive it out of the state and told me to never come back! laugh2 Of course I did come back several times in the wee hours of the morning... whistling The new rules will make me never get a CDL again, and all my trucks and trailers will have RV plates on them from now on, IL has them and it keeps you from getting pulled over, been running them for decades now. That is why I have a cap on my truck and an LQ trailer if I am pulling more than 10K lbs. wave

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 01:36 AM

Pa has been rough since we had two landscape trailers break loose and kill people. My fingers were crossed every week driving up route 22 going to Keystone as that was a big area for checks. My 24 foot enclosed trailer only had 3500 pound axles (7000 pounds) so with my Duster, quad, fuel, tools, cabinets, and everything else I was way over-loaded. My new 26 footer is titled just under 10,000 pounds so that helps some.
Posted By: A/MP

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 03:17 AM

At least in PA, weight /truck/truck-trailer checks are money maker for local townships. The state began training the locals for several years. Usually when they write a ticket you can't argue the point and they know it. This goes for state and local police.If you've been ticketed, it can be VERY expensive. Most are looking for lettered trucks and tractor/trailers. Flying under the radar helps. So does how the truck/trailer combo is registered. Joe Smith can fly but Joe Smith Inc, LLC, or anything else that denotes commercial enterprise. You can thank landscape companies for the strict enforcements. Poor maintenance and overloaded trailers flying down the road with undocumented drivers. Ask drives from TX,AZ,MN, etc. and they will tell you about accidents where the driver has no ID or insurance.Last year at the SEMA show they were discussing this issue and had information. This crackdown has a direct effect on racing industry and SEMA was trying to address it. 2008-2016 were bad years for everything except layers and fees.

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By Medlock51
After going thru all the crap associated with a sleep study I decided I didn't want the Feds in my bedroom and gave up my tier 4 license and downgraded to tier 1 intrastate only. 45 years and 4 1/4 million miles... got nothing to prove anymore. Now I drive two to three days per week and sleep at home...piss on them.

Part of this recent change includes lower blood pressure numbers.The new rule made me fail the physical.I have 3 monthes to find some neds to lower my BP for at least a one year physical.The youngins in good shape get 2 years.

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 07:09 AM

Load up on raw garlic on 2 meals a day, look where your at in a week. Or you can buy garlic caps, but I like raw garlic. Cant be cooked with your food.

Originally Posted By hemi-itis
Originally Posted By Medlock51

Part of this recent change includes lower blood pressure numbers.The new rule made me fail the physical.I have 3 monthes to find some neds to lower my BP for at least a one year physical.The youngins in good shape get 2 years.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 07:59 AM

Easy, farm plates!
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 08:02 AM

If I may ask, what are the BP numbers they want now?
Posted By: 62SAVOY

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 08:16 AM

If it is like what happened to my uncle with a [censored] cop. Expect all your fees to go up also. 99 F550 12' flatbed on it. Towing a steam train to a meet. Cop pulls him over saying he is missing his commercial plates. It is not a business. Truck is for hobby. Didn't matter. By the time the cop and court got done with him. Was now Dot number on door, weight fee, license fee increased and now classified as commercial vehicle plus insurance went up. We asked other cops about it and they said he had no right and we were okay before for hobby use. Commercial cop didn't see it this way though. Now log book also just be be okay. Doubt we would every have an issue again but if we had one bad cop we may get another. Welcome to some of the jerk cops we have here in California.

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
I think we are missing the issue here a bit. The electronic log is the issue. I'm pretty sure that a dually and a 24' enclosed trailer are over the CDL limit but in California you are already paying for the pickup in reg. fees. If you get pulled over or a cop pulls up when you have a flat or something, I would tend to think that they don't care so much about a guy in a motor home or pickup traveling to or from an event. What they care about is where you are coming from and where you are going and how much time you are spending on the road. I recently went from California to Springfield Missouri in my dually for the Thanksgiving week. I saw two truck accidents. All I could tell is that the ops fell asleep. No other vehicles involved. It's the time behind the wheel that they are trying to regulate. Rightly so. Does anyone really want or need to drive more than 11 hours in a 24 hour period?

It's more than just the 11 hours it's the inflexibility of the rules". 14 hour work day...

Say I'm sick and need more rest.. or I didn't sleep well the prior night. If I nap within the first two hours of my shift that break doesn't count...I still am forced to take another 30 minutes between the fifth and eighth hour on duty. If I take a break between the second and fifth hour then I have to take a second break around the 11th "on duty" hour.

You can't stop the clock....say you crawl out of the sleeper at 5am to go to the track....you get there at nine. Your day starts at 5.... you get done racing at 5pm... you have 12 hours on the clock and it takes more than two hours to get home you have to take a 10 hour breakbefore you can get home! It's a mess.

Many drivers are forced to work terrible hours because you can't stop that clock... you must drive even if tired because you have to get your miles in before your break.

Cicadium rythems be damned... I don't give a rats *ss anymore... I sleep when I'm tired.

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 01:00 PM

Its now 130 over 80. Was 145 over 90. I may be in trouble. I hear blueberrys are the best thing for lowering blood pressure.

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 02:54 PM

If I don't have high blood pressure then I must be dead. It runs in my family, and my grandpa died at 94 and dad at 88 both with high blood pressure. It is all bogus if you ask me, hand me the salt! punkrocka
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 03:35 PM

Everytime I leave the country I have some concern (go to CA). "Trucks/Autos with trailers 55mph"..... I can't do this, no way, no how laugh2

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 03:56 PM

I dont run my rig in PA...period.. they are looking
to bust people.. if they want to they WILL find
something to right you on.. a $1000 or more ticket
isnt worth it to me
wave

Attached picture DSC00076.JPG
Attached picture Trailer2.JPG
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/04/17 10:50 PM

The CDL requirements are still 140/90. I do the physicals daily. I haven't heard any talk of changing it or seen any documentation of that.

The Joint Commission just had the JNC-8 come out a while back and have recommended different blood pressures but that has not trickled to the FMSCA. National kidney foundation, American heart etc all have their recommendations. In the future who knows, they may change they may not but what you see in the JNC-8 is taking into account multiple comorbid issues as well.
Posted By: jcc

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/05/17 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By 68shifter
The CDL requirements are still 140/90. I do the physicals daily. I haven't heard any talk of changing it or seen any documentation of that.

The Joint Commission just had the JNC-8 come out a while back and have recommended different blood pressures but that has not trickled to the FMSCA. National kidney foundation, American heart etc all have their recommendations. In the future who knows, they may change they may not but what you see in the JNC-8 is taking into account multiple comorbid issues as well.

But a DOT physical does not allow comorbid issues as I understand it, it's pass/fail, no other wiggle room allowed, unless the examiner fudges the results.

They will change it, they have no legal cover not to.

All the reaction here means few remember or researched one of the many threads here on Moparts, a recent one in 2008, in the Archive Tech section "Warning on racing rigs in PA", most of today's concerns were foretold in that thread.

Attended PRI CDL Seminar last year, early in the discussion it was mentioned from the audience about the possibility of simply upping the lower cut off weight limit (curently 10K lbs) to ANYTHING higher, giving a lot of protection at the lower end weights for racers. The quick answer from the dais was,"no, they are not going to be able to change anything". At that point, I felt like the seminar was a waste of time. And then at the very end, the speakers asked for suggestions from the audience, "what could they focus on to help racers?" Guess they have hearing/retention issues.

Back in 2008 and prior, many suggested cavalierly to just go get a CDL and a DOT number (which is referenced to your SSN), and ignore the warning of the perils of doing so, but once you are in the system, you can't get out, and if you think the fines are steep for some of the violations mention here so far, wait till you get stopped with a suspended DOT number and violations.

Another thing not yet mentioned, and we are all are on very thin ice about, is the "sleep apnea" spectrum. If you are over 40?, any over weight, snore, have a deviated septum, ever say you are tired, or any combination, you may have your CDL restricted/suspended until you take a sleep apnea evaluation test (heard it is close to $1K), not sure it is treatable to resume driving. Currently the test is on hold by USDOT, but there is a lot of money on the table for testing, and I suspect its just a matter of time before it re-appears.

Again, this is only going to get worse.

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/05/17 01:25 AM

Am I reading you right.. you do a DAILY test
wave
Posted By: 68shifter

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/05/17 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY

Am I reading you right.. you do a DAILY test
wave

No, on a near daily basis I perform the DOT required physical for drivers. Infra/interstate etc...

Jc-You're right in the future they may change the requirement-but they'll in my mind always have to have just a set number like they do now. You meet it you pass etc. But the FMCSA already has a ton of money tied up in what they have already. You're talking pamphlets, guides, there's probably 2 dozen or better training organizations where you can train in order to be a certified examiner. If they do change blood pressure or anything it will be slow to roll out just because of the amount of "ground" they'll have to cover.

Not to keep you guys off topic but frankly you're going to see more strict regulations in regards to BMI-sleep apnea requirements I bet before you see a drop in bp numbers. Not to mention what direction the Marijuana stuff is gonna go.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/06/17 03:17 AM

I'm an FMCSA-certified DOT Medical Examiner (i.e. I do DOT physicals) and AFAIK it's still 140/90 as 68shifter explained.

The DEA is never going to relax its asinine position that THC is a Schedule 1 (no legal or medical use) drug, because they'd be putting themselves out of work. There has to be some straw man they can protect us from. Federal law trumps state. That said, I don't want anyone behind the wheel (commercial OR personal) intoxicated whether it's alcohol, drugs or just sleepy!

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/06/17 05:48 AM

Well DrCharles,thanks for replying.Can you explain the changes in the DOT examination? I was told if my BP is over 140/90 That I might have to see a Cardio that will prescribe BP meds that will lower my numbers down to the 140 limit.It's my understanding that once you start BP meds that you will be on them the rest of your life.Any truth to that??
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/06/17 05:55 AM

Don't do it Itis! They are discovering all kinds of nasty side effects from these meds. twocents

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/06/17 08:48 AM

It's my understanding that once you start BP meds that you will be on them the rest of your life.Any truth to that??

No its not I used to take two bp meds, and two other meds, now zero, diet and lifestyle changes but im sure it dont work for everyone.

I used to take norvasc? and ....dang cant recall the other bp, its been four years since I took them. Norvasc? would keep so much fluid in my legs I had to take a second pill for just that.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/06/17 05:15 PM

There are MANY types of blood pressure meds, BETA blockers, ACE inhibiters, ARB's etc. Side affects of most are very mild, from constipation, dizziness, light headiness etc..I am not a doctor but I sleep with one who is acutely aware of the metabolism of drugs in the body, its her job. IMO the affects of HBP is far worse than the side affects of the drugs. There are ALWAYS exceptions that's why you consult with your doctor on which meds you need and their side affects, if any. I will now end my PSA.....

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/06/17 05:19 PM

Well DrCharles,thanks for replying.Can you explain the changes in the DOT examination? I was told if my BP is over 140/90 That I might have to see a Cardio that will prescribe BP meds that will lower my numbers down to the 140 limit.It's my understanding that once you start BP meds that you will be on them the rest of your life.Any truth to that??

I can tell you this, I was on BP meds and the side affects were awful. I quit taking them on my own then I went to upgrade my insurance and was denied! eyes Because of Odumbocare I had to get other insurance anyway and they somehow missed the fact that I stopped taking it. Now that I put it on the internet I am sure I will lose it again... panic

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/07/17 06:15 PM

Had a routine visit yesterday.BP was 144/88.I'll take the one year med cert for the BP over 140.Think the Doc wants me to stop after the DOT exam........
Posted By: jcc

Re: CDL-they are changing the rules and many will be effected!! - 12/07/17 08:31 PM

Not clear to me what your strategy is. I hope the other DOT examiner's here will chime in before to you take any test. As I see it, with those numbers, you are immediately dis qualified from driving, even if your current DOT med test is not up for re cert, The examiner is required to report BP test failure promptly. Now if you are on a 1 year cycle and being treated for BP, they maybe give you 3 months? to get it under better control, and you will likely remain on 1 year testing vs 2 year for life. I suggest you research all these issues well before they put the BP cuff on. Few in the field are looking out for your entire well being as much as you are, of course if CDL driving is not that critical, have at it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums