Moparts

Axle resplining

Posted By: bigblockrik

Axle resplining - 12/02/17 09:04 PM

Any body know of some one in the cincinnati area that can do them.
Posted By: Medlock51

Re: Axle resplining - 12/03/17 12:16 AM

Ship them to Moser... three day turn around.

They shortened and resplined a pair of 9 1/4" axles for me. I shipped them Monday they were back Thursday...
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Axle resplining - 12/03/17 12:17 AM

iagree
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Axle resplining - 12/04/17 04:27 PM

iagree Moser is good and has really quick turnaround. Sent my axles in last year to be drilled and tapped for 5/8" studs. They drilled/tapped them and shipped them back the same day they received them from me.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Axle resplining - 12/04/17 07:02 PM

I think any time you cut the end of the axle off and have it resplined you should have it heat treated on that part due to possibly having to have the outer axle diameter turned down removing the outer layer of heat treated material scope twocents
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: Axle resplining - 12/05/17 07:16 AM

hi
axel are not surface hardened they are treated all the way through !

if only the surface was hard they would snap easily !

aso they are treated to have some flex to prevent snaping off from being too brittle.
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Axle resplining - 12/05/17 07:20 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
I think any time you cut the end of the axle off and have it resplined you should have it heat treated on that part due to possibly having to have the outer axle diameter turned down removing the outer layer of heat treated material scope twocents

This used to be a big part of Dutchman's business. They used to anneal, machine, and then heat treat. Now they just grind off the outer hardened layer and spline as-is. The new owner moved the business to Idaho leaving no local shop that would do it. I might try doing my own. realcrazy runaway
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Axle resplining - 12/05/17 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By calrobb2000
hi

Depends on the axle. Stock axles are typically hardened to 1/16”, whereas aftermarket axles are usually hardened to 3/16” or more.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Axle resplining - 12/05/17 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By calrobb2000
hi

if only the surface was hard they would snap easily !

aso they are treated to have some flex to prevent snaping off from being too brittle.

In the late 70s they were heat treated to 57-58
rockwell C... I had some axles make for one of
the projects at Chrysler
wave
© 2024 Moparts Forums