Moparts

Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video

Posted By: Lil Demon

Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 03:47 AM

Well - put four more hits on the new combo today - messing with the front shocks still, adding some fuel pressure and playing with the jets.

Did not get video of the first run as I thought Al was staying at his trailer to work on his car - so I went up and ran - oops.

We still haven't gotten serious about the engine yet, and haven't touched the rear suspension - but I'm starting to have my doubts about the horsepower this is supposed to make. Not knocking yet - but I don't see 8-9MPH in 4 degrees of timing or changing a plug gap. I'm starting to wonder if the valve springs are shot as it it is quicker than it ever was to the 1/8th - but then it is slower than it used to be on the top end. My old bullet used to really charge hard on the top. This is at that same level, but getting to the 1/8th quicker and then running the same et is just baffling me.

One thing is for sure though - it wants fuel. I was jetted 92 square on the 1050s and it just isn't pulling up top. Noticed that my 8.5lbs of fuel was only 6 at the strip - so we bumped that up. It picked up 2 mph. Then we bumped the jets from 92 to 96 and it picked up another 2 mph - finishing with a days best of just under 144 mph - which is the best mph it had before.

We jumped it up to 98s and it slowed down a few mph - so - I'll back it down to the 96s.

Al said the car is leaving better than it ever has. Starting to carry the fronts a little (it used to pick them up and set them straight back down like a super car), hitting the tire, and running flat. So - I think I'm really close ont he four link set-up. For the record - we have not touched the rear shocks yet - they are 4/4.

Oh YEah, and until I can deal with my brake shimmy - I was dropping the laundry today for the first time ever. It worked in slowing the car down, but it is highly over-rated. Thank goodness Al's boy was there to pack it. I will only pull that thing if I need it, and I was hoping that with this new motor I would.

Here's the video. Critique away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFfKleDgKz0
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/01/09 03:53 AM

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 04:16 AM

IT'S TO DAMN LOUD
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 04:23 AM

Quote:

IT'S TO DAMN LOUD

NEVER can't happen !!! LOL

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 05:09 AM

Quote:

IT'S TO DAMN LOUD

He didn't like fancy paint jobs either when I met him - now look at him.

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 05:12 AM

Paint jobs aside(still prefer clean and simple paint schemes)my junk has Mufflers....

Now go swap those jets back and get a real battery

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 05:17 AM

LOL!!!!

Yeah - yeah. I want to put the terminals on the bumper as well so we don't have to keep pulling the deck lid.

I sent Mike a PM on the valve springs - just asking the actual age of this build.
Posted By: moparmanjames

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 05:35 AM

Looked like it was spinning just a tad on the hit, and yeah it sounds like it's lazy on the big end, I think you might have a pump issue or a line issue.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 05:48 AM

Quote:

look's good; Sounds good.

Keep tuning, that thing sounds good.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 05:49 AM

Car runs real good and like myself,there`s some fine tuning/tweeking or valve springs possibly needing changing. I too noticed a bit of wheel spin in the right lane but like some fast cars, maybe it needs it.

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 05:53 AM

Ask him when he last checked his fuel filter

Car did spin on pretty much every pass to some extent. The track was not the best for most folks today. It really is not far off by the math anyway. A 5.99 would yield you about a 9.40 or so. I agree it is still of a little and it is the big end, to me that is a fuel or valvespring issue. We played with the fuel and got a little better result. Still some left on the starting line as well. We have not played with anything back there. The car to me look better off the line than I have EVER seen it look. I think on a good prepped track it has a 1.27 or so in it.

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 06:06 AM

What is this fuel filter of which you speak?
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 02:44 PM

Quote:

What is this fuel filter of which you speak?

I pulled mine off on the chassis dyno one day because I failed to aknowledge its existance prior to that. It was pretty dirty but it was the dyno operator somehow smashing my fuel line with the straps that was the problem lol.

Car looks really good!
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 03:50 PM

Quote:

One thing is for sure though - it wants fuel. I was jetted 92 square on the 1050s and it just isn't pulling up top. Noticed that my 8.5lbs of fuel was only 6 at the strip - so we bumped that up. It picked up 2 mph. Then we bumped the jets from 92 to 96 and it picked up another 2 mph - finishing with a days best of just under 144 mph - which is the best mph it had before.

Wow, gaining 4 mph from jetting changes is a great step forward. I would be happy with gaining 1/2 mph, but my setup had lots of time on it already.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 06:26 PM

It sounds to me like the 2 to 3 gear change has isssues, is the trans fresh and is the shifter adjusted correctly? It did spin the tire on all o=f the vids taken from the sides, the last one I couldn't see the sidewalls so I'm not sure it spun them that time, did the 60 ft. times slow down when you jetted it up or did it spin the tires harder when fatter?
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 07:57 PM

Man,your car looks great! What tire pressure? Have you timed your fuel system lately? Do you have a data logger?
Posted By: cudabunch

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 08:07 PM

Quote:

It sounds to me like the 2 to 3 gear change has isssues, is the trans fresh and is the shifter adjusted correctly? It did spin the tire on all o=f the vids taken from the sides, the last one I couldn't see the sidewalls so I'm not sure it spun them that time, did the 60 ft. times slow down when you jetted it up or did it spin the tires harder when fatter?

I heard the same thing,sounds like your shifting with a 4 speed ,going into 3rd.
Posted By: 68440RB

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 08:31 PM

Wheelie bars never touched the ground on last run filmed from the back, maybe give it a harder hit...

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 09:33 PM

For the last run - I rasied the bars all the way up to see if the car liked coming further back. The intent was to keep them off the ground.
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 09:55 PM

You wearin' ear plugs Bill? That thing is loud!
Typical TNT wheel spin I see.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 10:56 PM

Amazing what a good set of 110's will do isnt it?...LOL....also what air where you running?.....looks real workable now.......

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/01/09 11:52 PM

Air was 1700+- IIRC. Yep typical Sac T&T conditions for sure. Kind of hit and miss there. The bars were raised to ensure they did not get hit. I still think the 4 link will need some tweaking, no reason for much spin at all to me. I actually like making my car work on the track when it is not it's best so I can be assured it will work when we have a race day or better track.

A good set of springs or maybe better out a properly pre loaded set will do
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/02/09 02:43 AM

It sounds to me like a trans that I used to have when it had a 2nd to 3rd gear overlap. The 2nd gear band was still applied when high gear was applied.
I'm not a trans expert at all, but I did have a Torqueflight that did that. It slowed the car down a bunch.
Leaves good though.

Chris..

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/02/09 06:49 AM

2-3 band overlap? What does that sound,feel like? What do I look for? Is this trans going to have to come out - AGAIN? *gets ready to throw something*
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/02/09 07:27 AM

Sorry Bill..

It sounds like your car, that's why I said it.

High gear is trying to apply while the 2nd gear band has not quite released yet. You will have to forgive me but I haven't had a T/F since 1992. P/G ever since. But mine was a Pro Trans best of the best back then. I think Dave Smith was who told me of this problem back even before I got a trans from him. (pre Pro-Trans)
I remember it felt like the trans was binding up trying to get to high gear. So if I remember right, they made the valve body delay the high gear full apply until the band had released completely.
Hey, I'm probably wrong, but I am just throwing out a possibility that I ran into back when I ran those things. It just sounded really familiar in your video. And it sounded the same in each one.
My band was really burned up when this happened.
It started happening when I used a lot more power...N2O. Mph was down too.

I hope you find it.

Call Dave Smith @ Pro Trans in Lancaster, CA.
(661) 940-7400

Chris..
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/02/09 11:41 AM

I'd like to see less spin. It's definitely laying down on top. Mine did that when it was super lean.

Here's an idea for your charging terminals, I put them in the plate so I didn't have to drill my bumper.

Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/02/09 01:19 PM

I have no idea if you have a 2-3 shift overlap, but there are some things to try before pulling the trans if you think it is doing it.

1) loosen the front band adjustment 1/2 turn.
2) Put a restrictor plug in the case, between the valve body and case, in the 3rd gear feed hole. Gradually restrict more to slow down application.

What is your trans setup? These are some things related:

a) More springs in the front clutch (12-15) to slow application
b) Solid (rigid) front band (not a flexband) will release faster
c) Reduce line pressure to maybe 140-150 (I run 165).
d) Solid front servo ('70 and older) or shim solid the '71-newer servo. The older servo uses 2 springs too.

Re: Lil' Demon - More Test Hits - More Video - 03/02/09 01:47 PM

On the trans - it is all Pro Trans internals with a Griner VB and Brake (low band apply).
© 2024 Moparts Forums