Moparts

511 low deck head upgrade!

Posted By: viperblue72

511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/18/17 10:17 AM

With so many choices out there I am not sure what direction to go on new heads. My combo
Low deck 511
12:1ish compression
Right now I have a 274@050 solid lifter with 590 lift and 108. That may change to a roller.
I don’t necessarily want to maximize the combo but I want the best bang for the buck within reason. My thoughts are ez-1, trick flow 270, or a victor max wedge. I’m not afraid to try some of my own porting.
Car is 2800lbs valiant
727 haven’t chose converter
8 3/4 with 4.56 temporarily
31x13.5 slick.
I see the trick flows are down a bit on flow from ported ez or ported victors.
But would they give up a lot to those in horsepower?

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/18/17 10:17 AM

Also I do plan to add 1.6 rockers if I keep this cam.
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/18/17 04:34 PM

I had a stock stroke 440 with heads being ported more Cam than you but car weighed about the same as yours it went 10.10 @ 132 with Indy ez-1
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/18/17 05:54 PM

In the long run, TF 270's will likely be the least expensive, and they come CNC ported.

I doubt there would be much power difference between the 3 with any flat tappet cam similar to what you have now.

If it were my own, it would get EZ-1's.
The initial cost is less, they use less expensive rockers, and with fairly basic porting will flow 350+.

I haven't had a TF 270 on my bench yet, but if they are as close to the published specs as the 240's are, they should flow in the 345cfm range.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/18/17 07:07 PM

MCH CNC ported 440-1 up
The 2.250 intake valve upgrade is worth doing also scope
Why not start with a goods set of heads to start with work up twocents
I have a set of Eddy CNC ported M.W. Victor on my bracket car, I'm not impress with them and the results compare to other motors I've race with that had the CNC ported MCH 440-1 shruggy
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/18/17 07:23 PM

I have the victor max wedge on my 511 cnc ported flow 359@.600-.800 on a conservetive bench. Still tuning and really cant say til i hit the track but not overly impressed yet. I would do the 440-1 if i had to do it over right now.

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/18/17 11:42 PM

What does a ez-1 head flow with just a basic clean up?

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/18/17 11:59 PM

In the "best of moparts" section, there is an Indy head info thread with a bunch of flow numbers.

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/19/17 02:04 AM

The search engine is over my head apparently. I can’t find it.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/19/17 02:10 AM

Here you go thumbs

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/19/17 03:59 AM

Perfect thanks. That’s really great info Dwayne. I appreciate you sharing. Your bench must also be tough. I really love the idea of going straight to the dash one. But the price doubles at the least and that’s before more expensive rockers.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/19/17 04:39 AM

The victors take a pricey rocker as well. I went HS@1100 a set.
Posted By: BradH

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/19/17 04:49 AM

Track only?

Performance goals?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/19/17 07:12 AM

There is a set of -1 heads with Jesel 1.60 rocker arms for sale in the race section. That is a good price for a proven combo of parts. You can make a lot of power with -1 heads and Jesel rocker arms and those parts should last a long time on a bracket type of engine. If you sell your existing heads and rocker arms then you'll be able to offset a lot of cost.

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/19/17 08:18 AM

It is a mostly strip car and very limited street. I don’t have an exact goal other than I want to make the most power with the best head for the dollar. And I plan to get the car down to 2600.
I imagine deep 9s are likely eventually. I did build the short block to handle more than I have.
Billet caps, scat rods with the good bolts, Mahle pistons.
I’ll check out the dash -1 heads in the race section. And I did sell my heads today. I am really leaning toward the trick flow 270. And maybe run them as is. Later on port on them a bit more.

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/19/17 10:53 AM

Originally Posted By AndyF
There is a set of -1 heads with Jesel 1.60 rocker arms for sale in the race section. That is a good price for a proven combo of parts. You can make a lot of power with -1 heads and Jesel rocker arms and those parts should last a long time on a bracket type of engine. If you sell your existing heads and rocker arms then you'll be able to offset a lot of cost.

I sent him a pm thank you. Anyone need a brand new trick flow low deck 4150 intake?
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/19/17 03:07 PM

For a budget friendly motor that will hit bottom nines high eights at 2600, personally for a motor that will be relatively low maintanance I would consider the following; Indy ez-1 heads (large port) with the best porting (could wait on porting) and 2.25 valve size NOW if you buy them new. Use a cam with an endurance type lobe so you don't have to spend a fortune on valvetrain.
If you buy used heads with Jesel rockers, dissasemble the intake rockers far enough to look at the needle bearing cages. If abused with a real radical cam, a magnifying glass will let you see if any of the needle bearing cages have cracked, or the snap rings are worn thin. Also spin the rockers on the shafts all the way around to check for bind, which is a failed bearing. Keep a close eye on lash, and if you see a change of .003, start looking till you find what failed. Something did,trust me!
You could buy spares for the Jesel system,(very expensive) or buy just a left and right mini shafts. You can buy the needle bearings and snap rings locally and make a bearing tool out of bolts and the right sized bronze bushings to disasemble them and rebuild them, just measure where the bearings are supposed to be.

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/19/17 03:49 PM

Thank you for the advice. I hope to find out more about these -1. It might be a good idea to use ez-1 and just port them later as money allows. I really need to work on the rest of the car and make it safe first. It’s basically an 11 sec. car with a 9 sec motor now.

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/19/17 06:04 PM

Those used -1's are showing "sold"?

The pic of the included manifold with that combo looks like a 440-3x, which is really too big for the OP's combo.

Still a good price though.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/19/17 06:16 PM

A good price...those were the head with unknown chamber volume.

I'm personally holding out for a set that has a little documentation. Buying ported heads with no history, flow sheets or other data is a big gamble.
Posted By: ccdave

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/19/17 06:23 PM

Trick flow heads would be a good choice. The quality of the castings and the machining is better than the other heads mentioned on this post. I also like the fact the they are cnc ported out of the box. A true turn key out of the box set of cylinder heads.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/20/17 04:12 AM

I have a set of 345cc -1's for sale. It's actually a whole top end, but I'll split it up for you. I'll sell the heads, Jesel 1.7 paired rockers, and spray bar valve covers. PM me if you'd like.

Attached picture Head 1.jpg
Attached picture Head 4.jpg
Attached picture rockers installed.jpg

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/21/17 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By ccdave
Trick flow heads would be a good choice. The quality of the castings and the machining is better than the other heads mentioned on this post. I also like the fact the they are cnc ported out of the box. A true turn key out of the box set of cylinder heads.

I agree that they appear to be by far the best bang for the buck. I know some of the Indy offerings have more potential. But the coast goes up. And I have to mention I have been ripped off by Indy and treated very poorly by them, which makes it difficult for me to want to buy from them again.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/21/17 06:38 AM

Don't buy direct from them, try Porter Cylinder Heads, Bob George racing or Modern Cylinder heads instead. I'm sure they will give you a good price and better service than Indy did work scope twocents
Posted By: Harry's Taxi 2

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/21/17 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
I have a set of 345cc -1's for sale. It's actually a whole top end, but I'll split it up for you. I'll sell the heads, Jesel 1.7 paired rockers, and spray bar valve covers. PM me if you'd like.

sgcuda, this is off topic, but what would the purpose be for the tube/s in the block valley area below the head surface?

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/21/17 05:23 PM

Honestly, there really isn't any good argument against the TF 270's for the OP's combo.

You can't touch any of the other comparable heads, ready to bolt on with equivilant components for what the TF's cost.

If you didn't have heads or rockers yet, and were planning to use the TF recommended HS rockers on the TF heads, or a set of prepped Indy EZ-1's with upgraded springs/retainers/locks/seals, ported chambers and blended bowls...... Along with the "normal" HS rockers........ The head and rocker package between to two set ups would be pretty much a wash.
The Indy heads would cost a little more, the rockers a little less.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/21/17 06:08 PM

This won't help to original poster but just another reason to run Trickflow heads is their racer support. During the last two years at the Halloween Classic there is a FREE race for anyone using a Trickflow intake or heads. Winner gets a 500.00 certificate from Trickflow, a 500.00 certificate from Summite, and a few other goodies. if I didn't have Indy heads already and all the needed goodies a set would be going on the 512 I have sitting here.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: 511 low deck head upgrade! - 11/21/17 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By oscaracme
Originally Posted By sgcuda

sgcuda, this is off topic, but what would the purpose be for the tube/s in the block valley area below the head surface?

I found out that my block had restrictions in it. Poor casting created loss of circulation, so I put the lines in to get some coolant flow, as little as it is.
© 2024 Moparts Forums