Moparts

Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket

Posted By: fastmark

Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/15/17 06:53 PM

I remember seeing some header gaskets that were pricey but leak proof mention on the site. I’ve got a stock manifold that I cannot get to seal. Any body help me out with what they use?
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/15/17 07:03 PM

Remflex
Posted By: vttm

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/15/17 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By madscientist
Remflex

^^^^^This^^^^^
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/15/17 08:44 PM

Either the exhaust manifold is warped or the surface of the head is not flat. Two correctly machined surfaces should ultimately need no gasket for exhaust. Just bite the bullet and get the two parts correctly done and you won't fight it for the life of the car.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/16/17 02:06 AM

Copper RTV
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/16/17 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By vttm
Remflex

^^^^^This^^^^^

another vote for Remflex
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/16/17 03:28 AM

Remflex

Ditto....And what I do to get my junk to seal, I red rtv the gaskets to the heads and let them sit 24hrs...
Posted By: dvw

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/16/17 03:44 AM

The manifold needs to come off anyway. 99% chance it's not flat. Perfect time to get it machined.
Doug
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/16/17 06:07 PM

Fel-pro blue perma-torque gaskets here forever installed w/just a smear of grease and a couple re-torques..........no leaks ever BUT the flanges need to be flat.......... beer
Posted By: dart440_72

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/17/17 02:27 AM

Remflex as well. I had a lot of problems sealing up some old headers. These worked great. They are not reusable though.
Posted By: skrews

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/17/17 06:48 AM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-68037/overview/
Posted By: Neil

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/17/17 06:53 AM

Originally Posted By FastmOp
Copper RTV

My vote as well.

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/17/17 02:54 PM

I’ve got the remflex in last night but they are so thick, I’m afraid the nuts wont engage the threads enough. Do they squish a lot?
Posted By: rumblefish72

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/17/17 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By fastmark
I’ve got the remflex in last night but they are so thick, I’m afraid the nuts wont engage the threads enough. Do they squish a lot?

They do squish a bit but not a lot. Look at the pic I posted to AndyF's thread on the Milodon Sandwich Plate ... you can see the Remflex Gaskets torqued down and how much they squish (not much). I'm using Percy's locking header bolts that are 3/4" long (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-310014/overview/) and there is plenty of thread engagement. And I've had these headers on and off while reusing the gasket and never had a leak. I HATE header leaks ... they drive me nuts!! My heads are aluminum but the gaskets didn't stick when I removed/reinstalled the headers. My experience is that as long as you put them back on with the same headers and in the same orientation, they can be reused. They have a sort of non-stick graphite coating on them. If you are running iron heads with studs, you might have to put in studs that are just a bit longer. Not sure if they might stick to cast iron after a bunch of heat cycles.

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/17/17 05:44 PM

I can’t use longer studs. It just barely comes off enough to get the manifold off the studs. The pass side is way close to the shock tower. This car is “killing me, Smalls”!!!!
Posted By: Diplomat440

Re: Fool proof exhaust manifold gasket - 11/18/17 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By Neil
Originally Posted By FastmOp
Copper RTV

My vote as well.

Same here. Never have any leaks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums