Moparts

What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper

Posted By: Quickrunner

What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/14/17 06:05 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New build, clean sheet of paper. What battery (leaning towards Optima) group size? post configuration? And why

Will be trunk mounted and have master disconnect bracket already welded to cage. build is drag week type car and will have electric water pump, fuel pump, Dominator EFI, fans, AC, etc etc...and will run a 1 wire type alternator.

Looking for a clean, trouble free install and NHRA legal hold down system. Some of these aluminum hold downs I see for sale on line don't look sturdy enough to pass tech.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/14/17 06:38 PM

I would look at the 16v systems. Chris Alston Chassis Works has a nice battery box/hold down.

Rock Racing Batteries
http://rockracingbattery.com/home.php?cat=3

XS Power
http://4xspower.com/shop/product-category/14v16v-agm/

Chis Alston
https://www.cachassisworks.com/c-206-battery-boxes.aspx
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/14/17 06:51 PM

The answer depends on what you are going to do with the car. Street or bracket vs. heads up. If weight matters, lithium is the way to go.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/14/17 06:53 PM

https://indurapower.com/product/series-220/

I am getting one of these for my new project. Not cheap but I have to keep the battery up front per class rules, so it makes sense for me.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 04:40 AM

Optima is easy, replacements are available on the road, there is many different hold down options available, and they work well. I run EFI, Two Electric fans, Electric water pump, two fuel pumps, and all the other street car crap. My Yellow top is 7 years old and has 5 drag weeks and lots of passes on it, it is doing great. I work for a battery company and I put a load test on it every year before I go on drag week and so far so good. I do load up a spare for drag week but have yet to need it.

If you go optima you will want a yellow or blue top. They are the same battery but different layouts and warranty. The yellow has top and side posts and the blue has an automotive post and a 5/16th stud because it is designed for marine use. While the batteries are the same under the cover they carry different warranties, the yellow has a 36 month free and the blue a 24 month.

The downside is of course the weight.
Posted By: ahy

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 04:47 AM

For battery in trunk I like AGM. Red top, blue top or other. Conventional batteries seem to eventually spill acid. Not good and expensive in the trunk. AGM seems trouble free in this respect (at least has been for me).
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 06:32 AM

Carrying around a bunch of unnecessary weight is hard on parts.. I recently switched out my red tops.. to a pair of Antigravity 720's we took the car out for a weekend of racing.. and ended up running just a single battery. That only weighed 3 lb.. these batteries are amazing.. today I picked up a 780 to do some more testing. It weighs approximately 4 lb.. they get a little nervous because I don't have an alternator.. but so far so good

Attached picture 20171114_201943.png
Attached picture 20171114_202014.png
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 06:34 AM

this is the temporary home.. it is sitting in the old red top footprint..

Attached picture 20171014_203837.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 07:38 AM

For your deal I would buy and use a group 27 RV/Marine battery,(conventional lead acid or AGM up) they can sit for long periods of time unused and still stay charged up up
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By Triple Threat
https://indurapower.com/product/series-220/

I am getting one of these for my new project. Not cheap but I have to keep the battery up front per class rules, so it makes sense for me.

Nice find!

I was looking at this:
https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/etx1200

but the low reserve capacity had me concerned for something that will see street use. the Indura unit is almost 2x the capacity for the same price. LiFePO4 is definitely the way to go IMO
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 05:01 PM

Tons of lithium batteries out there. HOWEVER the big issue with them is charging rate and maximum voltage. When they get over charged they tend to combust. The problem with your set up is the alternator. You will note they all have a maximum rate and voltage for charging. If you go this way make sure you alternator does not exceed these numbers. The fires that involve lithium batteries are usually caused by over charging them, either rate or voltage. Having said that just follow manufactures direction and they work very very well. Will crank the engine over effortlessly as well. But don't follow their instructions make sure you have good insurance. I run a single Lithium ion battery in my TS car. Cranks the thing over way better than the two 16V AGM's it reaplced. And weighs 8lbs as it is in a conventional group 24 sized case.
Posted By: moparmitch

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 06:14 PM

What brand/model do you use?

Is it 16V or no need for 16V with this setup?

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 06:23 PM

Mine are 16v by preference. Since I switched to 16V years ago I would never go back. Car cools down so much faster this way. Mine is a Lithium Pro and a Go Lithium
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 08:41 PM

Weight is not an issue for me, car will be heavy anyway since its not a gutted bracket car. Not really interested in the Lithium deal. I have had good luck in the past with Optima red tops so may just stick with what I know works. I am intrigued with the yellow top and its better warrantee and the dual top & side post. Holley insists on direct connection to the battery for the EFI main power harness and this way I can dedicate the side terminals for that and run the top posts to standard ground and main push/off disconnect to power rest of the car.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 08:58 PM

Had a bunch of different batteries over the years. Finally sticking with interstates. They have yet to let ne down
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By Quickrunner

New build, clean sheet of paper. What battery (leaning towards Optima) group size? post configuration? And why

Optima. Because I was at the track one day and watched a guy crank a SBC that wouldn't start for 30 minutes. Plus, I hear they last forever.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 09:24 PM

Since weight isn't an issue, I'd say just go with the Yellow Top Optima. That is what I have in my Dart.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 09:34 PM

I sure miss the old Sears Platinum batteries. 200.00 on sale with a 5 year free replacement. Matt and I still have one in our race cars

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 10:10 PM

Guess I should have added for what you are doing I to would steer clear of lithium stuff..IMO I see no issue with an Optima. I personally have a Napa battery in our Camaro. Been there for years and rarely does the car move but it always starts for its three drives a year smile
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 10:44 PM

Go with the yellow over the red, the reds are designed for cranking only. The yellow is better suited for something that does some cycling like running fans and pumps with the engine not running.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/15/17 11:22 PM

MT5 49-H8
Posted By: moparmitch

Re: What battery and why, new build clean sheet of paper - 11/17/17 01:25 PM

What would be the lightest setup for a 16V non- lith battery?
© 2024 Moparts Forums