Moparts

Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal

Posted By: SlickRS23

Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/23/17 03:21 AM

I noticed the rear seal I received from Fel Pro Does not contain the white side seals that would swell up but some blue rubber seals. It also contained 2 bolt spacer sleeves. I liked the way the old seals worked and never had a problem with them.
There are no instructions with the new seals as to where these sleeves go. Bottom of retainer near seal or top of retainer under bolt head?
Are these spacer sleeves required? seams to me they won't allow seal retainer to center seal on crank?
Any thoughts and comments are welcome, Jeff
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/23/17 04:51 AM

Jeff can you post a pic
Posted By: RobR

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/23/17 06:48 PM

The black sleeves are to center the cap when placed on the bolts that pass through the seal retainer..
The rear main seals ends butt together a little better when you use those sleeves..

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/23/17 09:03 PM

Well, I pressed the sleeves into the retainer and then the bolts would not go thru. So, I removed the sleeves, destroying them, and installed the retainer the old way, with no sleeves. Seems to be O.K.
It looks like the blue side seals are compressing more on one side then the other, but looks to be sealing O.K.
I miss the old reliable white seals. They would expand and seal great and seem to be more forgiving.
Jeff
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/23/17 10:24 PM

RTV in place of the side seals works; squeeze some into the side grooves, install the retainer, then shove a moistened pipe cleaner into the RTV and cut off flush. RTV cures by moisture.
Posted By: cl440

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/24/17 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

RTV in place of the side seals works; squeeze some into the side grooves, install the retainer, then shove a moistened pipe cleaner into the RTV and cut off flush. RTV cures by moisture.

This is what we have done on the last few builds. Works great!
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/24/17 03:34 AM

What PN is this?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/24/17 06:18 AM

I'm under the impression RTV cures when expose to air, not moisture confused
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/24/17 04:05 PM

There is a new side seal felpro I got and hope it helps.

Attached picture 20170628_105003.jpg
Attached picture 20170628_133843.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/24/17 04:14 PM

awhile back a guy posted where he mocked up the seal holder/seal halves without the crank in there & moved the holder/seal halves slightly fore/aft till the seal halves were aligned dead on then scribed 2 lines on each end of the cap on top & on over sideways to the block then he aligned everything back to that point when together. (he was haveing a seal leak issue).

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/24/17 06:01 PM

Clanton, are those side seals stiff? I.E. can you put them in AFTER the retainer?

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/24/17 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By GTX MATT
What PN is this?

BS 40240
The part for stock replacement

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/24/17 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
awhile back a guy posted where he mocked up the seal holder/seal halves without the crank in there & moved the holder/seal halves slightly fore/aft till the seal halves were aligned dead on then scribed 2 lines on each end of the cap on top & on over sideways to the block then he aligned everything back to that point when together. (he was haveing a seal leak issue).

This seems like a very good idea. The FelPro spacer sleeves would position the retainer off of the bolt centerlines possibly causing a mis-match of the seal halves??
Just thinking out loud again, Jeff
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/24/17 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
I'm under the impression RTV cures when expose to air, not moisture confused

Well, sorta...moisture in the air.

"RTV silicone adhesives rely on moisture and humidity in the air to cure properly. Generally the conditions have to be 40-60% RH, but can extend down to 20%, and up to 70% in certain cases. The moisture in the air reacts with the stabilizer in the RTV, and once the stabilizer is removed, the adhesive can cure fully."

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/24/17 09:41 PM

Clanton, are those side seals stiff? I.E. can you put them in AFTER the retainer?
I would say yes but they say to use silicone on the sides 1st and that helps it slide but it had room before the silicone to move.ps;as posted above the part # is BS 40240

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/25/17 05:54 AM

Clanton where did you order from? The picture on Summit doesn't show side seals, but I want to check them out

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/25/17 04:00 PM

Clanton where did you order from? The picture on Summit doesn't show side seals, but I want to check them out
I believe it was Advanced auto store

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/25/17 09:55 PM

Got mine from O'Reileys.
They are also in the engine gasket set KS2110
Jeff
Posted By: actionange

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/25/17 11:45 PM

Glue the side seals with weatherstrip adhesive. I use black RTV on top and bottom parts.
Let dry preferably overnight.
Place in freezer 30 mins prior to installing.
Works great

Re: Fel Pro 440 Rear Seal - 10/29/17 04:47 PM

I ordered that kit from Fel Pro, the PN hasn't changed but those blue side seals are a new addition. Just 2 years ago they came with a tube of RTV and pipe cleaners. They do have a little stiffness so may be able to slide them in like the old fibers with either RTV on them to lubricate or just plain oil. I'll see how they work for me.
© 2024 Moparts Forums