Moparts

Carburetor spacers for heat

Posted By: RAY1969CARS

Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 04:35 AM

Hi guys what is the minimum thickness of Phenolic Spacer you should put under your carburetor to stop transfer of heat
thanks Mopar or no car
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 05:29 AM

Probably even 1/4" will help alot
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 05:53 AM

Originally Posted By sixpackgut
Probably even 1/4" will help alot

I agree. Additional thickness is only going to gain decreasing gains. Other concerns such as air cleaner clearance and linkage come into play..

And the discussion of power with an intake riser is another thread.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 06:10 AM

Check out a company called coolcarb technologies. www.coolcarb.com
Not sure of any power gains but they should help with fuel temps inside the carb.
Todd
Posted By: 383man

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 06:57 AM

I would say at least a 1/4". You can see mine here as it looks to be an inch. Its been on the car so long I forgot what size it was. And it made a ton of difference to help stop the fuel from boiling in the carb bowls. Ron

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 07:09 AM

We tested this stuff years ago. Found hardwood actually worked better than phenolic spacers did. We settled on 1/2" spacers. But this was years ago for sure. Also those heat shields have been around for years, in a pump gas street car with a tight engine compartment they wore worth something I would imagine. Will definitely help with boiling fuel in the bowls for sure.
Posted By: RAY1969CARS

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 08:00 AM

Right on I'm going to try 1/4 thanks
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 03:49 PM

I don't know what the minimum thickness is but I made up a 2 "one out of 1/2 " Baltic birch 9 ply plywood for the race car. Carb was no hotter than the fender, the manifold-engine was to hot to touch. I was still able to close the hood with tall intake and that spacer and air cleaner (383). Wood is one of the best insulators also.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 04:22 PM

does anyone make a phenolic adapter for a spread bore to square bore application ?
beer
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 04:47 PM

If you really wanted to isolate the carb from the manifold you would also need to use nylon or fiber washers under the carb nuts. Probably minimal gains but thats one less spot to transfer heat.

When I had a carb my vapor lock problems were rare even with a stock hood, but it seemed to be underhood temp as opposed to engine temp that got them. I have an old trans temp gauge hanging near the master cylinder. When it reads over 180* is when vapor lock problems seem to start. In a stock engine compartment full of hot air I am not sure you can make much of a difference. I never had room for a spacer so I was never able to try.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 05:18 PM

I try and use a 1/2 minimum or more if possible according to the type of manifold, rpm range and of course space available.........I run a 1/2" 4 hole under my Dommy..............

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By sasquatch
Not sure of any power gains but they should help with fuel temps inside the carb.
Todd

Not too impressed w/a 100+ degree carb and I posted a video on VB where my engine was around 160 the intake 120 ish and my carb was 71 degrees after sitting w/just a 1/2" wooden spacer............ thumbs
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 05:26 PM

The best way to keep a carb running nice and cool is a bypass fuel regulator after the carb so cool fuel is always available. Even with this setup, the secondary fuel bowl can get really hot on those 100 mile drives between fill ups

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 05:49 PM

Agree that a TRUE return is best and my pump just returns straight into the cell but wonder if I can mod it and will call Magna-fuel and ask em for giggles............ beer
Posted By: 383man

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/21/17 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By sixpackgut
The best way to keep a carb running nice and cool is a bypass fuel regulator after the carb so cool fuel is always available. Even with this setup, the secondary fuel bowl can get really hot on those 100 mile drives between fill ups

Thats true. I have got away with my deadhead setup but I have a return type regulator I would like to install. Course I have a stock tank and will have to find a sending unit with a port or take mine out and make a port for a return line. I have also heard wood is the best isolator to use and I may switch to wood soon. Ron
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Carburetor spacers for heat - 10/23/17 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By sasquatch
Todd

I’m going to give that a try.
© 2024 Moparts Forums