Moparts

Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good?

Posted By: moparjoe360.4

Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good? - 10/19/17 02:48 PM

I'm looking into getting roller rockers for a 410 stroker I'm building, I really want Harland Shaps but can't swing the $700 right now. I found what I think is a good deal on a set of Speedmasters, but it's the first time I've heard of them so I don't know if I should pull the trigger or save the $$$ for a set of Harland Sharps. Another question I have is will I need new push rods with them. I'm on a tight budget and the original plan was to reuse the stock stamped rockers and push rods. I have a .508/ 292 purpleshaft for it already and it's just a street/strip deal. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good? - 10/19/17 04:11 PM

Before i bought that stuff i would probably look around for a set of 273 adjustable rockers.
Usually can find them easily and cheap.

Re: Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good? - 10/20/17 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By B3422W5
Before i bought that stuff i would probably look around for a set of 273 adjustable rockers.
Usually can find them easily and cheap.

That's a pretty good idea, what sucks is my dad and I have scrapped multiple sets of those rockers over the years because they got wet in floods. I'm guessing the Speedmasters are cheep import junk from the price point, that's why I asked. I can get my hands on a set complete with hold downs for under $200.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good? - 10/20/17 03:01 AM

A friend of mine broke one (Promaster) on an NHRA Stock Eliminator SBM, I would stay away.
Bill
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good? - 10/20/17 11:28 AM

http://www.manciniracing.com/maraenadroar.html

These are not Crane or Isky brand but the design is very reliable.

Re: Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good? - 10/20/17 12:44 PM

Thanks those look like a nice set up. Here's a link to the Speedmasters. http://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/746/PCE261.1031/10002/-1
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good? - 10/20/17 12:48 PM

Most adjustable rockers use ball and cup pushrods, so yes, you will need new pushrods. At .500" lift, you are not stressing the valvetrain, so those rockers will probably work for now. But as your engine develops, the demands will become higher, and you will be needing different rockers. H/S are so popular, with a little searching, you can find a used set with shafts for the right price.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good? - 10/20/17 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By 2boltmain
http://www.manciniracing.com/maraenadroar.html

These are not Crane or Isky brand but the design is very reliable.

Who is casting iron rockers cheap enough to sell for that price? Wonder if they are a refurbished 273 rockers with new hardware?
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good? - 10/20/17 06:51 PM

My default "budget" rockers are the Mancini HS variety.
I think they're under $500 for rockers, spacers, shafts.

I'm not in the "Chinese rockers" camp.
I'd use the original ones on a 292 cam before I ran $200 offshore stuff.

Re: Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good? - 10/20/17 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
I'm not in the "Chinese rockers" camp.
I'd use the original ones on a 292 cam before I ran $200 offshore stuff.

That's the kind of Info I was looking for. It's the way I've always swayed but the price tempted me this time for some reason.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good? - 10/20/17 10:09 PM

Oem rockers wont work well with oem pushrods, the length is off, youd need to buy pushrods. The 484/284 mopar cam just barely works with all oem parts.

Many have used the prw SS rockers with good results but they have jumped up alot in price, like over $400.
Posted By: Medlock51

Re: Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good? - 10/21/17 02:36 AM

I shy away from that import stuff... they might look good but often don't perform very good. You get what you pay for...
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Speedmaster SB roller rockers any good? - 10/21/17 03:08 AM

So what brand crank and rods do you use?

Originally Posted By Medlock51
I shy away from that import stuff... they might look good but often don't perform very good. You get what you pay for...
© 2024 Moparts Forums