Moparts

Cast crank question

Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Cast crank question - 10/18/17 07:29 AM

Hey guys, my Sons 440 engine is my old race engine, we have given it a freshen up and will be fitting it in a month or so. Question is are we suppose to run a flex plate with the 1/4 moon section ? I raced it for years with the "Cast crank only" balancer but had a full circle flex plate on it.

Thanks
Posted By: dvw

Re: Cast crank question - 10/18/17 11:24 AM

Depends on if it was balanced with. Factory balance for sure need the flexplate with the section missing and the factory cast crank damper. I'm not sure it could be possible to get a light enough rotating assembly to not need it. If it was possible the front damper would be changed to standard as well.
Doug
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Cast crank question - 10/18/17 10:00 PM

I would either have everything rebalanced, or keep the engine as it was running before, but make sure you use the same convertor as well.

(Factory) stall convertors came either balanced from the factory, or neutral balanced.
Steel cranks got neutral convertors, cast cranks got balanced convertors to go with the rest of the engine balance.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Cast crank question - 10/18/17 10:56 PM

All converters from Chrysler were subjected to a balancing process. Some are neutral and some are not. But they were all balanced to some print spec.
© 2024 Moparts Forums