Moparts

Lakewood Bellhousing?

Posted By: 65 NSS 500

Lakewood Bellhousing? - 02/27/09 08:21 PM

I am looking to convert my car to a 4sp and am trying to find a used lakewood Blow proof Bell. I see there is a starter attachment or option. Am I correct that something extra is needed to mountthe starter . Also how critical are the offset pins. I am trying to be thrifty but dont want someones junk or a big problem.?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Lakewood Bellhousing? - 02/27/09 09:15 PM

The Lakewood housing works fine and has a starter mounting like a standard stock bell housing..What tranny are you running??
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Lakewood Bellhousing? - 02/27/09 09:19 PM

Quote:

I am looking to convert my car to a 4sp and am trying to find a used lakewood Blow proof Bell. I see there is a starter attachment or option. Am I correct that something extra is needed to mount the starter . Also how critical are the offset pins. I am trying to be thrifty but dont want someones junk or a big problem.?

The offset kit for the starter depends on the size flywheel , I think you need it to run the 130 tooth wheel .

By offset pins do you mean the dowels pins in the block ??? If so SUPER CRITICAL , the lakewood housing MUST be dialed in .
Posted By: 5126brl No more

Re: Lakewood Bellhousing? - 02/27/09 09:24 PM

There is a small round cup that bolts from the back to support the starter nose. There are two holes in the sheild for the 130 or 143 flywheel mounting. Also you can buy the small parts kit new. as far as offset pins check it first with the stock ones. Mine was fine with stock pins.
You may need longer pins for the blow plate between flywheel and block.
Also I would suck it up and order a new one so you start off right.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Lakewood Bellhousing? - 02/27/09 11:12 PM

If we are still talking about the small block bellhousing it only has a stater mount for a 130 tooth wheel so you don't need any of the starter mount kits that big block bells use.What crank flange do you have? A few of us Moparts guys designed and built a rock solid tool for checking bellhousing alignment.It's for a six bolt crank and could send it to you for some short term use.My block will be back soon so I will need it too.Once you determine what dowel you need order them from RobbMc he belongs to this web board and his dowels are actually made for a Mopar not a Ford the the ones Lakewood sells.
Let me know
Gus

Re: Lakewood Bellhousing? - 02/28/09 11:19 PM

I am not sure what flange I have a 71 340 I will have to check, Thanks for the tool offer I will have see and go from there

Re: Lakewood Bellhousing? - 03/01/09 01:18 AM

Last week there was a brand new small block Lakewood bell on the return table at Summit for $200.00.If you want it let me know and I will snag it for you.All you would have to get is the block plate.
Gus
Posted By: therocks

Re: Lakewood Bellhousing? - 03/01/09 02:33 AM

Problem is a block plate is almost a 100 buck.So the cost would be about the same.I got a BB one free and needed the plate.Luckily I bought another good used bell and plate for 80 bucks.My cost for a plate like 8 years ago was 80 bucks.Rocky

Re: Lakewood Bellhousing? - 03/01/09 02:51 AM

The block plates are about $80.00 for a big block and a new bellhousing is now around $450.00
Gus

Re: Lakewood Bellhousing? - 03/01/09 10:59 PM

Yes 300 dont sound bad for a new bellhousing
© 2024 Moparts Forums