Moparts

cal trac shocks or strange

Posted By: plycuda

cal trac shocks or strange - 10/16/17 02:28 AM

anyone try the strange shocks S5282 same length both compressed and extended as the caltracs shocks. caltracs are 9 way strange 10 way. about 20 dollars more for strange. anyone try them
Posted By: madscientist

Re: cal trac shocks or strange - 10/16/17 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By plycuda
anyone try the strange shocks S5282 same length both compressed and extended as the caltracs shocks. caltracs are 9 way strange 10 way. about 20 dollars more for strange. anyone try them

Don't know that strange part number but if they aren't double adjustable find something else.

Re: cal trac shocks or strange - 10/16/17 05:01 AM

The caltrack shocks aren't double adjustable but alot of people run them. The strange shock is a bolt in single adjustable just like the caltrac shock. I was wondering if anyone has tried them.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: cal trac shocks or strange - 10/16/17 06:36 AM

FWIW I've been 1.33 60 ft. foot brakin and 6.15 @ 109 to the 1/8th slightly lifting and 111.78 all out so far w/old 5-ways in the rear and 90-10's up front..........John does/has suggested that mid 9 and quicker cars COULD benefit from double adjustable s but some still fly on the Ranchos.......... beer
Posted By: Dragula

Re: cal trac shocks or strange - 10/16/17 11:54 AM

Like Thumper said....upper to mid 9's probably no issue with the Rancho's. I have been 1.35 at 9.90 with the 5-way adjustable Rancho's. I do have doubles on the front though. And that is where I was able to get the most out of them.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: cal trac shocks or strange - 10/16/17 12:57 PM

Money is never wasted on better shocks.
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: cal trac shocks or strange - 10/16/17 01:40 PM

The problem with the strange shock is you can not adjust it tight enough to control the cal tracs. even though they are both single adjustable the valving on the rancho is better
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: cal trac shocks or strange - 10/16/17 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By JAKE68
The problem with the strange shock is you can not adjust it tight enough to control the cal tracs. even though they are both single adjustable the valving on the rancho is better

Because it's repurposing a 4x4 TRUCK shock. I'm another one with the old 5-way Ranchos and they work Ok, but I'd like to try a DA shock.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: cal trac shocks or strange - 10/16/17 04:35 PM

What suspension system are you applying these shocks to?, and what level of performance is the car aimed at?
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: cal trac shocks or strange - 10/16/17 04:35 PM

Check out the vikings!
Posted By: justinp61

Re: cal trac shocks or strange - 10/16/17 06:18 PM

I had a Rancho 9 way go bad on my car, pretty much turned into a solid rod. But I also found a bad CE 3 way on the front was bad too, both on the passengers side. I replaced them all with Vikings.

If anyone needs an A body length front or rear shock for a spare drop me a PM.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: cal trac shocks or strange - 10/16/17 06:56 PM

Strange, AFCO and most others are able to revalve the shocks to a specific application. Most off the shelf shocks are too soft for any serious effort. Strange are OK for a lot of guys if the are calibrated right. We've had pretty good luck with the AFCO Big Gun valving. Not many cars I've been involved with still using out of the box valving.

Re: cal trac shocks or strange - 10/16/17 11:45 PM

I have another race car. This is going to be mainly just going to be on the street. Its a 69 satellite with super stock springs, mini tubed 16.50 x31 quick time pros. I might make a few passes but I'm not putting a cage in it. just want a decent shock don't need anything spectacular. I just saw the strange shocks they sold are bolt in. should run low 11's high 10's unless I hit it with some juice.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: cal trac shocks or strange - 10/17/17 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By plycuda
I have another race car. This is going to be mainly just going to be on the street. Its a 69 satellite with super stock springs, mini tubed 16.50 x31 quick time pros. I might make a few passes but I'm not putting a cage in it. just want a decent shock don't need anything spectacular. I just saw the strange shocks they sold are bolt in. should run low 11's high 10's unless I hit it with some juice.

You can get Viking DA's for a reasonable price. Even for what you are doing, skimping on shocks just doesn't make sense to me.

My street car runs low 12's and I have Viking DA's on all 4 corners. I'd spend that money all over again.
© 2024 Moparts Forums