Moparts

Where to get heads ported

Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Where to get heads ported - 10/06/17 08:06 PM

Looking at getting my -1s ported this year and wanted to hear from you guys.. looking at turn around time customer service and pricing.. let me know you thoughts.. thanks guys John...
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/06/17 08:09 PM

Modern
Posted By: SILVER67

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/06/17 08:32 PM

Porter Racing Heads
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/06/17 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By SILVER67
Porter Racing Heads

iagree
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/06/17 08:56 PM

Porter too. Both very good
Posted By: BIGSTROKER

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/06/17 09:14 PM

K&G 419- 345-2556 dave
they are in ohio
they do all my heads and they are the best
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/06/17 10:20 PM

Porter Racing heads.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/06/17 10:31 PM

Porter Racing Heads

When I called him on the first set of 440-1 I wanted ported he referred me to Modern Cylinder heads to have them CNC port them work shruggy
He told me he was super busy then and it would be longer than a couple of months to get them done back them, 6 to 10 yrs ago shruggy
OP, call both of them and get all the information you need to decide scope twocents
Posted By: scottb

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/06/17 10:52 PM

Call Ryan at Shady Dell 814-308-8058 or Bob at Modern cylinder head
Posted By: 383man

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/06/17 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By JERICOGTX
Porter Racing Heads

iagree

Yep Porter Racing Heads. Dwayne is one of the best if not the best and he is nice guy with fair prices who is great to deal with. You cant go wrong with Dwayne Porter. Ron
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/07/17 12:52 AM

I appreciate the positive comments from the members here who have had me do the work on their heads....... Thanks!!

However, in cases like this where there is a CNC porting service available for a particular head type...... It's usually the more cost effective option(I still do my porting by hand).

Modern, as well as others, have good programs for those heads...... And it's a little like the old story of John Henry.
It's tough to try and go head to head(pun intended) with a machine.

Posted By: KOS

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/07/17 01:57 PM

[quote=fast68plymouth]I appreciate the positive comments from the members here who have had me do the work on their heads....... Thanks!!

However, in cases like this where there is a CNC porting service available for a particular head type...... It's usually the more cost effective option(I still do my porting by hand).

Modern, as well as others, have good programs for those heads...... And it's a little like the old story of John Henry.
It's tough to try and go head to head(pun intended) with a machine.

yes but with the customer service you provide I would take the slight difference.

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/07/17 05:39 PM

If I'm selling new Indy heads, and the customer is looking for something that's "fully ported", I just get them CNC'd from Indy, then I do my valve job and prep.

On my bench, after the VJ and prep, a 440-1 CNC 325 flows 360-365.
A CNC 345 goes 380-385.

I'm sure someone has a program that flows more than the Indy 345...... But so far, those have been the best 440-1's to cross my bench.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/07/17 07:18 PM

What about a massaging a set of TF240s?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/07/17 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By 70dusterjohn
Looking at getting my -1s ported this year and wanted to hear from you guys.. looking at turn around time customer service and pricing.. let me know you thoughts.. thanks guys John...

Your priorities are turn around time, customer service and pricing? How about flow? Or durability?

I'm not just trying to jerk your chain I think you need to consider these things. For example, when Modern did my Indy heads their CNC program was set on "kill". The heads flow a ton of air but they are also fragile since so much material was removed. Is that what you want?? Maybe you do if you are a super serious racer. If you are a bracket racer or a street guy then maybe you don't want your heads ported to the max.

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/07/17 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF

Your priorities are turn around time, customer service and pricing? How about flow? Or durability?

I'm not just trying to jerk your chain I think you need to consider these things. For example, when Modern did my Indy heads their CNC program was set on "kill". The heads flow a ton of air but they are also fragile since so much material was removed. Is that what you want?? Maybe you do if you are a super serious racer. If you are a bracket racer or a street guy then maybe you don't want your heads ported to the max.

I want reliability ... I do bracket race a lot the cars driven on the street a lot .. so I don't want something that is fragile. Just looking to make more power than I am now with out of the box -1 heads ..
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/07/17 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
If I'm selling new Indy heads, and the customer is looking for something that's "fully ported", I just get them CNC'd from Indy, then I do my valve job and prep.

A CNC 345 goes 380-385.

How do these numbers compare to a hand port job? Just wondering if CNC is set for a conservative number as opposed to having someone hand port and get a visual of the actual ports before and after.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/07/17 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF

I want reliability ... I do bracket race a lot the cars driven on the street a lot .. so I don't want something that is fragile. Just looking to make more power than I am now with out of the box -1 heads ..

Okay, I think in that case you need to pick up the phone and call a few shops. Be clear that you want to make more power than you are making today but that you do not want lawn sprinklers. The CNC routines may be fine for what you want and they might not. It all depends how aggressive the program is. Since you already have used heads then you might want to start with someone like Dwayne who would pull them apart and check them and figure out a game plan. For new heads I'd start with conservative CNC heads and then step up from there but used heads are a little different situation.

It also depends on what cam you are running. Some of the CNC programs are designed to flow a lot of air up top but if you are just running a 0.600 lift cam then why pay for big flow at 0.800?

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/07/17 11:04 PM

I bought the heads brand new. I just bolted them on the car and ran them the way they where so I have had them the whole time. I plan on up grading the cam too ..

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/07/17 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
Originally Posted By fast68plymouth

A CNC 345 goes 380-385.

How do these numbers compare to a hand port job? Just wondering if CNC is set for a conservative number as opposed to having someone hand port and get a visual of the actual ports before and after.

I've never seen anything "magical" with these heads...... Meaning flowing more than they "should" for what's been done to them.

Without trying to reengineer what's there...... After you've put a good valve job in them, and blended that into the bowls and chambers...... You pretty much have what you have.
If you want more, it's a matter of just upsizing the entire port(for the most part).

So, to answer the question about what hand ported versions flow..... It usually depends on how much time someone was willing to stand there and make them bigger.

I will add that the intake short turn on the CNC 345 seems to have more height than even an ootb unported 440-1........ So I don't know that you can put that exact same port into a std
440-1.
I don't feel the Indy 345 program is that conservative. It's a pretty spacious port, and the ex ports are pretty big as well.

Myself, I don't like standing there and just hogging chips out of a head to make it "big", so when I port these they are probably more in the 320cc range, and as a result don't flow as much as the CNC versions, which are bigger. I get 350-355 with a 2.19 valve, 355-360 with a 2.25 valve.

Truly "ootb" 440-1's....... Meaning NO porting or blending, barely go over 300cfm.
But with a nice valve job and bowl blend, along with some chamber work, 340-ish is easy to get.
The newest version comes with the chambers CNC'd already, and those are a few cfm better with that first stage of prep.

After that....... You're def at the point of diminishing returns when it comes to the amount of time porting vs the gain in cfm.

Here are some numbers from a new set with the cnc chambers, just as they came ootb, Indy 2.19 valve and valve job. Zero porting.

Lift------ int
.100---70.2
.200--146.8
.300--216.4
.400--271.1
.500--304.8
.600--297.3
.700--310.4

That dip around .600 lift can a little tough to get rid of.

I guess I should clarify the size thing......
Making them bigger doesn't guarantee you'll get big numbers out of them.
The other side of the coin is.......if you keep them on the small side, you're only going to get so much out of that too.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/09/17 02:50 PM

While several shops can CNC port them, I prefer to deal w/ Dwayne Porter just b/c he's a good guy and can set you up w/ whatever else you'll need too. Especially in the valvetrain department. I doubt there's anyone better at spec'ing cams for these mopar builds.
Posted By: BANDIT

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/09/17 10:13 PM

I agree with everything 8second says. I'm sending my "professionally " ported CNC Indy 572's to Dwayne because I know they'll come back better, besides, he's a hell of a guy to BS with. Jim
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/10/17 06:50 AM

Exactly. I also got a set of cnc 325 heads finished from Duane along with rockers and a cam spec'd by him and he was absolutely pleasant to deal with. Always answered any questions and helped with advice above and beyond the scope of his work to help me with my car at the track. The heads and his work look beautiful.
Posted By: shorthorse

Re: Where to get heads ported - 10/11/17 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By BIGSTROKER
K&G 419- 345-2556 dave
they are in ohio
they do all my heads and they are the best

X2
© 2024 Moparts Forums