Moparts

Mopar 337 Intake Mods

Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/05/17 09:14 AM

Ok I finally got my hands on the Mopar 337 intake for my Indy Headed 512. My heads are Indy EZ-1's with Max Wedge ports and ported and prepped by the great Nick Wilson. Currently I have a standard Indy 2d intake. Does anyone have any suggestions on porting the 337 to the full Max Wedge port and who to send it to?

Thanks,
Darren
Posted By: Brewzer67

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/05/17 02:41 PM

Wilson is always a good option if you are going to spend that kind of money and go all out. If you don't want to go that extreme, Larry Smith at Flow Tech 2 Cylinder Heads did nice work on my max wedge Indy manifold for a reasonable price.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/05/17 02:58 PM

Larry Smith did the 337 porting for Streetwize that he's posted numerous times on here. His work looks 2nd to none.
Posted By: srunge55

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/05/17 03:51 PM

I know its not what you asked but I'm curious, why not just get a MW intake like an Indy single plan instead of opening up the 337 to MW size? Seems the cost to modify the 337 would exceed buying a new intake.

thanks,

Steve
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/05/17 04:55 PM

I assume he chose the 337 intake as ti will fit under the stock hood.

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/05/17 06:19 PM

Yes the intake is going on my 69 Charger so that's why I chose the 337. Eventually going multiport FI but want to try it with my 1000 cfm AED carb first. Yes I have read in detail regarding Streetwizes mods.

Thanks!
Darren
Posted By: Old School

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/05/17 06:24 PM

Larry Smith did the porting on mine also. Beautiful work. I also use a 337 manifold and an AED 1000 carb. It's an awesome combo and fits under the hood. All of mine making in excess of 700 horsepower.....

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/05/17 06:33 PM

Thanks Old School. Does anyone have contact info for Larry Smith?
Posted By: srunge55

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/05/17 06:53 PM

Ahhh hood clearance, that makes sense. Its should be a sin to mess up the lines on a 69 charger. No offense to any who has done it, hope you don't go to hell :-)
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/06/17 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By ChrgrCuda
Thanks Old School. Does anyone have contact info for Larry Smith?

Talk to Todd Marsh aka sasquatch aka Marsh Performance (mopartsracing.com). I know they do a lot of work together.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/06/17 02:22 AM

Be very careful of "beautiful work", it tells you nothing about the execution, only how much grunt work went to the sanding mop.
As Jerry Branch used to say "shiny is what sells the customers but does nothing for the engine".
Posted By: Brewzer67

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/06/17 05:03 AM

With the credentials Larry has I don't think his work is just making things "shiny". You don't port for a championship NASCAR team because you make things pretty, you do it because you get results for them. I think the championship he won with Newman-Haas bears that out. If you don't have any concrete examples of his work (or anyone else's for that matter) being smoke and mirrors it would probably be best to refrain from questioning someones credibility. It's just not the right thing to do.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/06/17 05:46 AM

I've had Wilson port four intakes for me and each one has been a work of art. If it was my intake I'd send it to Wilson just because their stuff has always worked for me. Not saying other folks can't do just as good or better, just saying that Wilson is 4 for 4 for me.

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/06/17 06:43 AM

Thanks Andy. Looking forward to seeing how much of an improvement will be realized going from an untouched Indy 2D to a ported 337 that will take advantage of the Max Wedge ports.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 10/06/17 07:32 AM

Not to be a picky little wench but Larry worked for Penske South racing engines and Ryan Newman was the championship. Ask him nice and he will show you his 50th Daytona 500 ring. Only a fool would argue that Wilson is not more than able to get great results.
As far as the whole "shiny" deal I will say this. Last week I was over at Penske's for the moving sale. All of the equipment was being loaded up and sold off. The building will now house Rogers Indy car collection from what I am told. While I was there loading up the Superflow Flow bench I bought I talked with Larry Wallace and Scott who was the shop foreman. they both know I work with Larry Smith a lot. They asked what plans I had for the flowbench and I told them that I was going to get Larry to show me how to make that thing work. Both of them said and I quote "you will not find a better teacher anywhere in Nascar" I will stick with the shiny thanks.
Todd
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 11/05/17 05:26 AM

Larry Smith is an engine genius, and he is a very humble and personable genius at that. There is nonone who knows anything either about him or his reputation and credentials that would ever dispute that.

'Nuff Said

Larry shares Shop space with Hollis Page HP Engines (another awesome Engine builder and close friend) who is a long-time supporter of Moparts and runs a banner Ad in the Sponsors Index. Tell them Bobby/Wize said Hi!
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 11/05/17 05:39 AM

There's a pic of my 337 port work in this thread:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2015557/1.html

For the record, I'm sure Polyspheric (who I've also known for YEARS) wasn't slamming Larry at all, he was just stating a little general "Buyer Beware" ...it's all good.

But make no mistake, Mr. Larry Smith Knows how the make horsepower!
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 11/06/17 07:14 AM

Nothing against Larry. Vizard says good things about Wilson.
At this point of the science, the surface texture for an intake port is still an open question. It appears that under certain conditions benefit may be derived from stippled (golf ball), rough (60 grit), and even scribed (parallel lines at an angle to the port CL) contour, but direct comparisons are expensive and difficult to quantify. They are also extremely labor intensive to apply.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Mopar 337 Intake Mods - 11/06/17 02:56 PM

Larry Meaux, Chad Speier and others are definitely in the "size the runner correctly, but leave a fairly rough cuttered surface" camp. The debate rages on...
© 2024 Moparts Forums