Moparts

ET radial pros

Posted By: 70dusterjohn

ET radial pros - 09/17/17 04:49 PM

Got the car out this weekend and realized that my slicks are shot. They are 10 years old, but I gave it a shot 60ft is gone, was running 1.28 60s when I put the car up. But healkth and family things got in the way . Well went Friday and Saturday and the best 60 was 1.39 and just got worse through the weekend.. almost wrecked the car Saturday and decided to pack it up. But going to buy new tires so I figured I'd just go radials since I was going to next year anyhow. My question is do I need to change my front runners ?
Thanks guys John

Re: ET radial pros - 09/17/17 09:01 PM

I guess no one knows ?
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: ET radial pros - 09/17/17 10:19 PM

I have always heard its not a good idea. I have no experience with it. if its more street what can it hurt?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: ET radial pros - 09/17/17 10:51 PM

I've ran bias slicks in the rear and bias up front and handles like crap and wanders all over. Bias in rear radials up front handled great aside from what some said but no clue on radials in the rear and bias up ft. but who cares, run it and I cant imagine it being THAT bad.......... work
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: ET radial pros - 09/17/17 11:06 PM

No problem. However you will need a pretty decent shocks

Re: ET radial pros - 09/17/17 11:40 PM

What kinda shocks would you recommend ?
Posted By: D-50

Re: ET radial pros - 09/18/17 12:17 AM

I run M/T Radial Pros and M/T Front Runners and I have had no problems. Mine drives fine.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: ET radial pros - 09/18/17 01:01 AM

I'm definitely not the suspension Guru..imo if your foot braking you might give it a shot with the shocks that you have.. but I think something that is double adjustable will be in your benefit... and you know the sky is the limit with shocks.. Viking sales a shock that is set up for a drag radial that might work for you
Posted By: KOS

Re: ET radial pros - 09/18/17 02:35 AM

been doing it since Drs came out pulled slicks off put Drs on with MT ET drag fronts drives way better and you probably will never go back unless track conditions aren't optimal.....try em with what you got should work better than the slicks but better shocks can never hurt.
Posted By: 383man

Re: ET radial pros - 09/18/17 09:41 AM

I can say that my car is a street car I drive alot on the street. I used to run Hoosier QTP bias tires out back and always had a standard street radial tire up front. The car would wonder a little in the traps and would kind go with the road some on the street. When I went to the Hoosier 30 x 9 radial slicks it was a good change as the car just flat out handles better and does not wonder at all in the traps or on the road. It was ok to drive before but it just goes straight as can be now as it definetly handles better with the radial tires on all 4 corners. You can see the front tires good in this pic as they are just a 215/70R-15 radial and the radial slicks out back which I drive on the street all the time. Ron

Posted By: 8secDart

Re: ET radial pros - 09/18/17 06:20 PM

Unless you are trying to run a radial class donot change to a radial. All the BS you read is just that. In perfect condition's yes the radial is faster but most guys never see them condition!!!!
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: ET radial pros - 09/18/17 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By 383man
I can say that my car is a street car I drive alot on the street. I used to run Hoosier QTP bias tires out back and always had a standard street radial tire up front. The car would wonder a little in the traps and would kind go with the road some on the street. When I went to the Hoosier 30 x 9 radial slicks it was a good change as the car just flat out handles better and does not wonder at all in the traps or on the road. It was ok to drive before but it just goes straight as can be now as it definetly handles better with the radial tires on all 4 corners. You can see the front tires good in this pic as they are just a 215/70R-15 radial and the radial slicks out back which I drive on the street all the time. Ron

Sure the difference in the traps you saw wasnt the fact bias tires have less air in them than radials do at the track?
I have ran both types also on both street and strip, all i really
noticed is one tire is closer to being flat( bias) than the other( radial) at the track
On the street didnt really notice much if any difference but have same air in both.
Probably could tell more on a carthat isnt pushing 50 years old, but thats what i have seen.

Re: ET radial pros - 09/18/17 11:39 PM

Re: ET radial pros - 09/18/17 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By B3422W5

Sure the difference in the traps you saw wasnt the fact bias tires have less air in them than radials do at the track?
I have ran both types also on both street and strip, all i really
noticed is one tire is closer to being flat( bias) than the other( radial) at the track
On the street didnt really notice much if any difference but have same air in both.
Probably could tell more on a carthat isnt pushing 50 years old, but thats what i have seen.

Of course running more air in the radials also helps. My point is the car works better with radials on all 4 corners then mixing bias and radials or running all bias tires. The radials just flat out drive better in all conditions on the street or track. They sure can help a 50 year old technology muscle car handle and drive much better then it does on bias tires. Maybe you dont notice much difference but any car I have ever driven drives much better on radials then bias tires just because of the tire design. Maybe thats why all cars use a radial tire today ya think ? Ron
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: ET radial pros - 09/19/17 03:03 PM

No need to change your front tires if you want to try the radials on the back.

Re: ET radial pros - 09/19/17 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
No need to change your front tires if you want to try the radials on the back.

Your right as many dont and many get away ok. But my point is that bias and radial tires track different and sometimes a car dont handle or track on the road as well when mixing bias and radial tires. Can you do it ? Sure I did it myself and I remember when my son drove my 63 and I had bias tires in the back and the radials up front he asked me why the car seems to wonder on the road to him. Myself I was used to it and did not pay much attention to it since I grew up driving cars on bias tires. But I really noticed a big difference when I went to the radial slicks on the rear since I had radials up front. The car drove so much nicer and did not follow and of the crowned roads at all. But of course I am sure not all cars are effected as much as older muscle cars that dont have rack and pinion or struts on them. I just know I enjoy driving my car more since it drives nicer on all radial tires. Ron
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: ET radial pros - 09/19/17 05:12 PM

My car tracks like crap on the road w/ bias tires up front...no matter what's on the back. I have radials and bias plies for the rear, makes no difference.
With radials up front, it's way better...again, no matter what's on the rear.
© 2024 Moparts Forums